Robin Williams and Zelda Team Up for Four Swords Adverts

Posted by James Newton

Back in the saddle

Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda after The Legend of Zelda, and now 25 years on he's still connected to the series, as this pair of adverts for The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition shows.

The first advert shows the Williams clan competing to collect the most Rupees, with Robin so confident he bets his (rather impressive) beard he'll be victorious. You'll see how it ends.

The second video is slightly different, but Robin still bets his beard on a win. You'd think he'd have learnt the first time.

If you haven't already downloaded this extremely entertaining — and free — slice of DSiWare, be sure to read our The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition review and get yourself to the download shop post-haste.

Advert one

Advert two

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Not as amusing as last time he did a zelda advertisement but still kind of neat that they are doing this, to bad he loses his beard.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Nooooo! I agree with @19 — his just lost hundreds if not thousands of gravitas points by shaving that magnificent beard! Why?!

Alexei123

Alexei123 said:

It says 'available until february 2012 Free download' at the end of the ad. Does that mean you have to pay for it after then, or it's just not in the available anymore?

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I guess Robin Williams and (mostly) everyone else here at NintendoLife have something in common... we all love Zelda! :D

The adverts are pretty cool too, considering its a FREE game.

KyleDusk

KyleDusk said:

So Robin Williams is the new Nintendo Ambassador of the world ?

I'm wondering how much he is paid just to play those games...Or is Nintendo paying him in 3DS, Wii U and Games ?

KyleDusk

KyleDusk said:

On another note I seriously wanna marry Zelda Rae Williams :D

Being married to a Zelda who will have your own last name AND Robin as my dad in law :D

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I'd sure like to show Zelda my sword. Wow she's hot. If she and Robin can't sell 3DSs, nothing can.

Link79

Link79 said:

It's so cool that one of my favorite comedians is also a Zelda fan!
So much of a fan he named his daughter Zelda.
Hope to see them in some Skyward sword Adverts!

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

NA needs more of these commercials. All I see is Zit and Febreeze commercials now-days. lol.

WII-LUIGI3DS

WII-LUIGI3DS said:

Ahh, good ol' Robin Williams. He never gets old at this kind of stuff. Good to know that he's a gamer at his age. ;) Still can't believe his daughter is named Zelda. That to me is so down right cool.

pntjr

pntjr said:

lol you all are fighting over Zelda calling her "hot" and stuff, but just to put your spirits down, It's not gonna happen.

RoyalBlur

RoyalBlur said:

Man, those are great. I like the young woman as she looks a lot like Princess Zelda in Skyward Sword.

RoyalBlur

RoyalBlur said:

WAIT! That's Zelda Rae Williams! That's his daughter. I didn't notice that the first time around. (Smacks face)

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Would someone please explain how these advertisements are different? I could swear I just watched exactly the same video twice. It must be a subtle difference.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

They should totally model a Zelda from a future game to look like Zelda Williams.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

@warioswoods: The second has a shorter sequence of Robin v. Zelda and cuts some dialogue and facial reactions. For example when Zelda says "You lose!" Robin does not scream "OOOOHHH" in the second advert. The information is also more elaborate in the second advert, the man mentions playing wirelessly with up to 4 players. It also mentions the 25th anniversary of the Legend of Zelda and that Four Swords is a "gift copy." I'm pretty sure I got all the differences...

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I think it's interesting they've got someone like Robin Williams (along with his daughter) as their spokespersons for Zelda. Considering he has a good amount of fans, this could open up the audience for Zelda.

MaikoRULES

MaikoRULES said:

i liked the beard. but i really hope we see more Williams commercials. they're all brilliant

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Robin Williams and Zelda!?
What a great combination, pure genius!
Among the best actors of all time.
He is also a big fan of the Half-Life series, how awesome is that?
Really friggin' awesome.
As a side note, Zelda is pretty ummm...pretty.

edhe

edhe said:

Though I hate the way Nintendo advertises nowadays, Robin Williams makes it slightly tolerable. But being one of the funniest stand-ups around, these commercials could have drawn from that talent. But then I guess it's more about him and his daughter at home enjoying a nice bout of Zelda Four Swords, where he doesn't need to be incredibly funny and quick-witted.

I'm sure your adverts great and all in North America where you get Seth Green, but UK has to suffer through Jedward, Sugababes and Jamie & Louise Redknapp.

Neither of them hold a candle to the Japanese commercials. We don't care that certain celebrities endorse your products, Nintendo. Give us some humour (funnier than "you're going down santa!" (:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D)) in your commercials.

Ryon

Ryon said:

I think it was an amazing idea to use Robin Williams and his Daughter Zelda, for a Free Zelda game. she looks a bit like a elf with her eyes.

Ren

Ren said:

one starts with "been playing since before you were born" the other starts with " you remember what... Santa". Just an opening from different takes. otherwise they're the same. usually there's a :30 and a :60 of ads like this or just a variant option like here.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I wonder if they'll also make any Skyward Sword videos. If so, I hope they've already recorded them, before the loss of the mighty beard. It just wouldn't be the same.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I loved this and I loved the game too. I hope they keep using the Williams' in the Zelda commercials.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i'm glad robin williams shaved that beard.

i can imagine him and zelda doing good voiceover work on a zelda game and voicing a few characters. or maybe not, i don't know.

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

ANYTHING is better than those awful two random "life saving" Japanese dudes for the old Wii commercials. UGH.