Nicalis Announces VVVVVV for 3DS eShop

Posted by James Newton

VVVVVVery good news

In the wake of its success bringing Cave Story to DSiWare, Nicalis has announced it's bringing VVVVVV to the 3DS eShop later this year.

The gravity-flipping retro platformer has been around the indie scene for a while and is generally regarded as an innovative and very enjoyable ride: it's less about jumping and more about inverting gravity to your advantage.

Anyone heading to Indiecade in Canada's Culver City this week can try the game out before its late 2011 release.

Nicalis To Publish Terry Cavanagh’s VVVVVV on 3DS eShop

October 6th, 2011 – Nicalis, Inc., developer and publisher of independently awesome video games is VVVVVVery excited to announce a publishing agreement with Terry Cavanagh for VVVVVV on the Nintendo 3DS eShop. VVVVVV features the same amazingly retro gameplay, aesthetic and chiptune music (by Swedish musician, Magnus Pålsson), but now in 3D and on the go with your 3DS. Attendees of Indiecade in Culver City, California can play a near-complete preview VVVVVVersion for the first time on 3DS! Just find Terry Cavanagh or Tyrone Rodriguez and ask them to play!

Released in late 2010 for PC, VVVVVV is a 2D action-platformer deeply rooted in the days of 8-bit gaming with incredibly challenging gameplay and secrets. In VVVVVV, you play as Captain Viridian, who must not only save a dimension on the brink of collapse, but also find your ship’s crew–all of whose names begin with the letter V.

Now 3DS owners can experience the critically acclaimed game in 3D, anywhere. When asked for an obligatory quote, Terry Cavanagh said, “I’m VVVVVVery excited about it! This is the first time anything I’ve made has been on a console.”

VVVVVV 3DS Features:
Open-world environment with six unique levels
20 Trinkets to locate and collect
Full 3D awesomeness integrated into the retro-looking art style

• Dual screen functionality with a real-time map!
  • Music by Magnus Pålsson
  • New Featured Levels
  • Future content updates

VVVVVV continues Nicalis’ partnerships with highly talented and super-awesome independent developers. Previously Nicalis has teamed up with Studio Pixel (Cave Story, Ikachan), Nicklas Nygren (NightSky) and NIGORO (La-Mulana). Now Terry Cavanagh’s incredible VVVVVV, too, will make the jump–er, flip–to console.

[via blog.nicalis.com]

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

Oh Nicalis, its good of you that you're helping indies get on consoles...

but oh how you make us wait... and wait... and wait....

WHERE THE HECK IS LA MULANA?!?

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Gotto love the developers that give us some indie love on Nintendo's Wares... already got this one though.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

the good thing about this is that it means VVVVVV will be on a Nintendo console... eventually. the bad thing is that it's probably going to take forever. definitely a day-one purchase... whenever day one rolls around :3

JayArr

JayArr said:

"Later this year" Awesome! I can't wait to play this and I only have to wait three months at most after just hearing about it. That just made my day. n__n

Karakato

Karakato said:

Excellent! Just played this on my friend's PC and I will definitely get this. The eshop is in dire need of new software. The wait will be hard as this game is difficult.

Link79

Link79 said:

Guess we can expect this by sometime in 2015 then. :(
I'd really like to know why it takes Nicalis so damn long to release games on Wiiware or whatever. Still waiting for La-Mulana if and when it ever get's released.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

They'll submit it to Nintendo and it'll be thrown back at them for being to buggy, then we'll have to wait another year for it's release. My prediction.

SqueakyTheBone

SqueakyTheBone said:

I always wanted to give this game a shot. Guess i'll wait for this version to come out. Whenever that may be.

Grackler

Grackler said:

Great news! A release within a year would be nice. It'd give me more incentive to pick up Cave Story 3D and play that bad-boy ASAP, eh Nicalis? nudge, nudge; wink, wink

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

It's already the best game on any of Nintendo's download services.

...and I like a LOT of games on Nintendo's download services.

Objection

Objection said:

"Previously Nicalis has teamed up with Studio Pixel (Cave Story, Ikachan), Nicklas Nygren (NightSky) and NIGORO (La-Mulana)."
So...Cave Story...since those other games never saw the light of day for this console audience.

Bloodysaber

Bloodysaber said:

Played VVVVVV after picking up the Humble bundle earlier this year; This game is fantastic and the soundtrack is spectacular. This game will be a great addition for the 3ds.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Let me just respond by saying:
HELL YEAH!

I've been waiting for this announcement for awhile, a portable VVVVVV= Day 1 Purchase for me, no matter what the price.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@27: Sit on a washing machine and hum.

I'll mark this on my calender.
...Well, I will when they start printing 2014 calenders.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@raylax: funny, i would've said that it involves putting your mouth up to a box fan. ever try talking through one of those? :3
ahh, good times as a kid with nothing to do

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Buying this game on 3DS as well. Absolutely fantastic game! Now somebody port World of Goo to 3DSWare already...

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@dragon: Didn't think of that. Works too. Maybe both at the same time? Some hardcore VVVVVVing right there.

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

A new game from Nicalis? Sounds like there's gonna be a VVVVVery long wait for it then...

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Can't wait. Now I might finally get that veni vidi vici trinket...

Then again, maybe not. :(

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I like how none of those games have seen release (technically re-release I suppose) yet except for Cave Story. :P

Where is my DSiWare Ikachan and WiiWare La-Mulana, Nicalis?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Ah how awesome! Though I probably won't get it as I already have VVVVVVV on PC & beaten it. But I dunno though VVVVVV in 3D is pretty tempting & the music is truly awesome too.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

eh, i found the game alright, but overrated, wouldnt buy it again, but so long as the price isnt steep, worth getting if you havent played it before

Tethers

Tethers said:

VVVVVV is a must-buy for everybody who doesn't already bought the PC version.