Minigames, Insects and Giant Swords in Skyward Sword Shots

Posted by James Newton

So much to see

It's Friday, which means more new screenshots and details from Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword gracing your Internet boxes.

This week's details show the return of the whip, first seen in Zelda: Spirit Tracks, as well as the Scattershot, potion upgrading, giant swords, bug-catching and so much more. Here's Nintendo to tell you more about it, with the all-important screenshots embedded below.

POTIONS, LAKES AND LINK'S WHIP AMONG REVEALED ELEMENTS IN THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: SKYWARD SWORD

Oct. 14, 2011

Nintendo has revealed another set of details about the fascinating areas, items and game play in the upcoming The Legend of Zelda™: Skyward Sword game, which will launch exclusively for the Wii™ system on Nov. 20. Following last week's unveiling of new information about the Faron Woods area of the game, fans can now glimpse additional details about this and other areas, plus a sneak peek at how players can maneuver Link™ through watery environments and help him wield a whip using the Wii Remote™ Plus controller. Newly revealed game elements include the following:

• Lake Floria and the Parella Tribe: Later in his quest, Link must make his way to an as-yet-undiscovered section of the Faron Woods that is home to Lake Floria. The lake is inhabited by the squid-like Parella tribe, which makes its first appearance in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Even when revisiting past areas like Faron Woods, players will make new discoveries and, occasionally, find drastic changes to the environment that require them to explore these areas in entirely different ways.
  • Swimming: As one might expect, getting to and exploring Lake Floria requires Link to swim. The intuitive motion control of the Wii Remote Plus gives players a natural way to control Link as he swims across the lake's surface or into its watery depths.
  • Insects and Potions: Throughout the game, Link travels back and forth between the surface and Skyloft. Players can collect bugs in the various areas they visit, and these insects can be used to infuse new ingredients into the variety of different potions available for purchase at the bazaar in Skyloft, giving the potions powerful new effects. Players can experiment with different potions and insects to find the concoctions that best meet their needs.
  • Fun Fun Island: Also new in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is Fun Fun Island, one of the small islands that float above the clouds near Link's hometown. As the name suggests, there's a lot of fun to be had there, but before Link can enjoy everything the island has to offer, he must find a way to fulfill the request of its lone inhabitant.
  • Whip: Players can use the Wii Remote Plus to lash Link's whip at enemies and objects. The whip also can be used to grab items and is integral to solving certain puzzles. Link's items can be selected in real time without pausing the game when he is on the ground, making it easier to switch between a sword and other items.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Damn, I can't wait for this any longer. All of these shots look great! I want to play it :c

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

It's neat to see the developers taking all the different controls and mechanics from Wii Sports Resort but now repackaging them for use within a more sweeping adventure.

Now they've even taken the skydiving bit that introduced Wuhu:
Untitled

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Why are motion controls being used for swimming? Most of the uses of motion controls in this game look fantastic but they don't have to be used for everything in the game, I would much rather analogue controls were used for the swimming.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@Adam

Haha, well... if the boomerang ends up controlling sort of frisbee-like as I envision it, you might very well have a dungeon that requires you to perfectly nail a distant switch with it in order to proceed.

Of course, they'll probably just let you Z-target an enemy or item and have the boomerang automatically hit its goal regardless of your motion, but I can dream.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

So pretty much every single action and item requires motion controls?

My arms are going to be so tired. :(

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

:O Just imagine what you can do with that giant sword! Am I the only one who noticed Link's different shields.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I don't see the Boomerang being in this game, seeing as the Beetle already does the Boomerang's functions and more.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

Seeing that Links using that statue boss things sword pretty much confirms that picking up enemies weapons returns from WW. Oh yeah and that clown is creepy. What is it with LoZ and weird clowns?
Untitled

fishman100

fishman100 said:

I hated collecting golden bugs in TP. I hope they make catching bugs a lot more fun in SS.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@tendoboy1984
That's pretty much my only concern about the game. The degree to which you're supposed to use the motion controls. This is a very long game, from what I understand. And it sounds very tiring having to wave your arm around constantly. I got to avoid it by getting GameCube Twilight Princess, but not this time. Those of you who got Wii Twilight Primcess, did you have to play the game in little pieces because you got tired? They really should have alternate control schemes that lessen the degree of motion control use.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Aww. It's one of those giant swords from Windwaker where your drop it when you go through a door.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@FluttershyGuy Twilight Princess wasn't a problem at all. But all that ever required was a little flick of the wrist to swing your sword so not much effort had to go into it.
I've heard that you don't really need to full on swing the Wii Remote around in this game to get it to work well, it's probably more about just swinging in the right direction more than anything else.
I'm sure once you get used to everything it'll be pretty easy to get through the game using motion controls with minimum effort.

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

@Nin-pal I noticed them, too. I'm sure we all did. XD But I did see that the classic Hylian shield is in fact still in the game. =D

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Interesting sounding. I hope it's on the (playable) display @ my local store. :)

Ras

Ras said:

Gorons, ah yeah. I love those guys. I just hope the creepy ass Ooccoos aren't here.