Looks Like Mario's Got His Boomerang Suit On

Posted by James Newton

Not a throwaway addition

A new piece of artwork has surfaced online showing one of the suits heading to Super Mario 3D Land: the boomerang.

While Nintendo hasn't officially released any video or details of the suit, it's not hard to figure out anyway: Mario throws a boomerang. It comes back. Pretty simple.

The Boomerang Bro enemies appear in Super Mario 3D Land, as does a boomerang-wielding female counterpart to Super Mario Bros. 3 mini-boss Boom Boom, so it certainly looks like Nintendo is banking on Tanooki tails and boomerangs for Mario's first true 3D escapades.

We'll have more details as they're confirmed.

[via pidgi.net]

Karakato

Karakato said:

This game just keeps on getting better everytime I see it. Can't wait to see more, now if they will just announce the Cape/Yoshi, it will be god-like.

Jahir

Jahir said:

Doesn't Mario know turtles are in danger of extinction? Anyway, I hope they put the cape in this game, that would be just awesome (and turtles won't be harmed) :)

James

James said:

@Teh-Ray That was my first thought too. I think the cape in this would just be too much awesome, though.

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

They need to add an electric suit where you shock the enemies and they turn to crisp. We already have fire and ice, now bring on the electric suit.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I wonder what the item itself looks like before he transforms? It is an interesting suit, and even if it was on an e-reader level in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3. I still consider it as new. It would be great if there was a hammer suit as well, but for now this will be very fun to use!

Adam

Adam said:

Boomerang suit is original, Jamouse. You may be thinking of the hammer bros. suit.

Not sure why anyone would want the cape. It wouldn't fit with the tanooki theme to have another item originally used for flying and spin attacks. Maybe 3D Land 2 will have a SMW theme.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I'm glad, that there finally making a (real) 3D mario. Don't get me wrong, the others were great, but when playing them I can't help but think about the health in these and losing power-ups in the 2D ones.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

Am I the only one who has a feeling that we will get another Mario platforming game later on in the 3DS's life span?

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I would have been more surprised, if we didn't have that NL user here who has that profile pic of Boomarang Mario for a week now.
You know who you are

Super-Mario-Fan

Super-Mario-Fan said:

I don't think they should use the cape because they have already two items that can fly the tanooki suit and the propeller block.

James

James said:

@RYBlast I would bet my sizeable collection of gaming related t-shirts that we'll see another Mario platformer on the 3DS before the console is dead and gone.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'd love to see a real Mario Land tribute with the return of Bunny Mario and Wario as the main bad guy. It could have Waluigi as a recurring boss like Boom-Boom too, as well as a remix of that fantastic Super Mario Land 2 main theme.

I can dream.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

@NintyFan, How about the original Super Mario Land? I'd like to have another romp through Sarasaland again, stomping on exploding koopas and taking the Sky Pop to the skies once more to battle the mysterious spaceman, Tatanga and rescue that other Princess for a change. ;)

Anyhow, I think the boomerang suit could be cool, especially if it also functions like the blue shell did in NSMB, letting you bound around the screen like a kicked koopa. I think I saw on the Japanese site that there is one more powerup in the game. I wonder what it will be?

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I doubt Nintendo will think of this idea: Fusing Mario suits!

Fire + Cape = Fire Cape
Tanooki + Hammer = Tanooki Hammer
Ice + Frog = Ice Frog

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I wonder if this suit will be mostly just a neat weapon, or if it will have other bizarre uses, like taking stuff that's far away, or making certain objects spin around. I guess Link's pretty much cornered the market on creative uses for the boomerang, but I'm hoping this game will surprise me, knowing what kinds of things were possible with the power-ups in Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

Punny

Punny said:

Boomerang Mario looks great, but where's the Kuribo's Shoe? I would love to ride the "Sole Train" once more.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

NOOOOOOOO! I was trying to avoid all suit-spoilers about this game so I could be surprised, and there it is right in the headline. Dash it all.

MasterBlue

MasterBlue said:

This game is awesome. Did anyone see the article about Luigi being hidden in the game. I really hope its true. Because that would make the game twice as fun and entertaining (get it? twice the plumbers? twice the fun?)

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

not surprised at all.. The moment I saw the The Boomerang Bro, I new this was coming.

He looks like he is from Tron :)

Shining-Void

Shining-Void said:

@pizzacore I was planing on changing my avatar to your picture, since your using it that plan is shot.

Bring on the suits , I want to see cloud mario in this.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Boomerang Mario is officialy the greatest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

@RYBlast - I can definitely see Miyamoto expanding on Super Mario 3D Land like he did with Mario Galaxy.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Obligitory, I hope the Hammer Bros Suit comes back as well. I was kind of hoping we'd see some Galaxy suits in this game but that's not looking too likely now; not that they'd fit in with the new level mechanics anyway.