Let There Be No Doubt - The Last Story is Australia-Bound

Posted by James Newton

Three out of four ain't bad

Hironobu Sakaguchi's The Last Story will make its way to Europe and Australia next year, as the Australian Classification Board has granted the game an M certificate.

That of course leaves North America as the only major English-speaking territory not to be looking forward to the game next year, but there's always hope that could change.

No release date yet for PAL territories, but we'll keep you posted.

BenAV

BenAV said:

No surprise there.
Would have bought it on eBay from Europe if it didn't make it here anyway so not really much difference to me.

Oh, and the game's looking pretty good.
Let's hope the result meets expectation.
Although, I'm not quite excited for this as I initially was, after playing through Xenoblade Chronicles and realising that it's practically impossible for this to be an experience that I love more than that.
But even so, I'm sure it will be a great game and if the online multiplayer is any good then that'll keep me coming back for a long time I'd imagine.

Oregano

Oregano said:

Really looking forward to this. It's apparently short, sweet and fast paced which is a nice change for a JRPG.

Bacon_Gal_Blaze

Bacon_Gal_Blaze said:

I don't see why NA can't get this along with Xenoblade, I mean it's in English already! (And I'm in the UK!)

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

NA still gets left in the dust...talk about sending the wrong message Nintendo. At best, companies will now want to work with other publishers...at worst, they'll start developing for the other consoles. Either way, as much as I'm a Nintendo fan, if I lived in NA, I would think twice before buying the WiiU after Reggie's shenanigans. And if Nintendo of America really think they can sell huge amounts of units to casual gamers like last time...they're in for one heck of a rude awakening

BenAV

BenAV said:

@darkgamer001 Maybe Americans should just import a Wii U from Europe and buy all their games from there then?
If everyone started getting their systems and games from overseas then that'd get Nintendo of America's attention. :P

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Congrats, Aussies! As for NA, at this point, I'm not even going to bother complaining. We're officially bottom of the totem pole, redheaded stepchildren. I fully expect the announcement that Antarctica will be getting the Project Rainfall games any day now. Thank you SO MUCH Reggie.
@Zezzy
Yeah, we gun-totin', violence-lovin' Americans don't want no Final Fantasy XIII-2 with that Lightning chick! Cancel away, Squeenix! :p

darkgamer001

darkgamer001 said:

That's not a bad idea at all, it could certainly be effective to a certain degree. Although in an ideal situation, no one should have to go through the hassle of importing a console and all it's games. I wish Nintendo fans would create a group or something to show Nintendo that they're strongly against the lame region lock. I'm playing Xenoblade right now and I seriously can't believe how a game of this scale and epicness is unavailable to such an important region and to so many gamers.

BenAV

BenAV said:

@darkgamer001 Yeah, it's a real shame that people in North America can't (easily) play Xenoblade.
It's such an amazing game and it deserves to be played and appreciated by as many gamers as possible.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Screw This Game. This Crap got made instead of Cry-on or a sequel to Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon. What Happened Mistwalker.

Then to top it off I can't even play this. damn

AVahne

AVahne said:

Unless Reggie has a plan to release those games with special content JUST for NA, I see no reason to keep these games away from us.

Objection

Objection said:

I'm happy for you Australia, I really am.
"Three out of four ain't bad"
except when, you know, its one of the biggest markets. But whatever, Nintendo has marched to its own drum for a long time.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

I'm probably one of the very few North Americans on here who doesn't care if it comes or not.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Those darn Aussies are the reason people are complaining. Everyone knows they're not supposed to get the good stuff! :O

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

OK, now make Pandora's tower an America-only release and we're all even (except, of course, Japan).

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

@ rudydog13 : The Australian M classification is the equivalent of the ESRB's T rating. It means that it is "recommended for mature audiences", but there are no age restrictions upon access. With that said, our M rating is generally more lenient than the ESRB's T rating in that it allows for occasional F-bombs and moderate sexual content.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow, what @BenAV said in Comment #1 is exactly what I was going to say. Except I didn't know The Last Story has online multiplayer - sweet!

Xenoblade Chronicles is now my favourite game ever, I've played just over 85 hours of this game but I haven't finished it & it is literally a joy to play at every moment. So many side quests, such awesome music, awesome battle system & the game itself is freakin' huge! It just keeps going & going, awesome story line, cool characters. The creators of this game gave birth to a masterpiece I swear. If anyone doubts the abilities of the Wii, show them Xenoblade Chronicles, it's mind blowing. So for anyone who lives in America, don't get mad, get even - buy this game & region free your wii, you owe it to yourself as a gamer to do so.

& allegedly The Last Story is even better than Xenoblade, I won't believe it 'til I play it but I'm excited! :D

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@rudydog13: further to sillygostly's comment, M used to be M15+ and so was recommended for people over the age of 15, but with no restrictions. That got changed in the last few years to just M (perhaps because it got confused with MA15+, which DOES have age restrictions).

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

While getting The Last Story is undeniably awesome, it still bothers and perplexes me as to why Nintendo aren't releasing the 'Rainfall' games in America. I mean, what logical reason is there?

America never got PIKMIN 2 on GCN, nor did they get Disaster: Day of Crisis.

Likewise, Australia never got Excitebots nor Sin & Punishment 2. Even Punch Out!! was relegated to a JB Hif-Fi-exclusive here, with Nintendo citing "lack of demand" for the title.

What is wrong with them?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm really looking forward to both this and Pandora's Tower, but what about Earth Seeker?

I've been too busy putting my movie collection on my computer to play Xenogears recently, but I'm enjoying that one as well.

rjejr

rjejr said:

All the "Rainfall" games will get WiiU releases at "import" prices since they were never released in the US for the Wii. And Pikmin 2 before 3 releases.

Seriously, I just don't get it. I just don't see how a completed game can lose money. And they owe me for FF:CC:TCB, that game sucked @ss. I really wish that one hadn't been released stateside. Glad it only took me 12 hours to finish it. And it was so bad I returned it for a full refund without even feeling guilty about it. Bad.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Come on NOA! Please just give us the Operation Rainfall titles, it is not hard to change the region coding. I will probably hack my NTSC Wii soon to play these games since I see some of them in stores all the time. I wish I would have bought a PAL Wii when we found out we were moving to Europe.

MrDanger88

MrDanger88 said:

Attn: NOA. You are a joke. Year long Wii drought. Pitiful waste. If SS wasn't coming out I'd probably never buy anything from Nintendo ever again.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

Can you guys stop wIth every single news article saying how North America isn't getting the game? Reggie never said "No" you know

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I gave up trusting NOA to do the right thing when "For the Frog the Bell Tolls," "X," and "Mother 3" were denied to us among other things. I'm sick of companies always telling us what we're allowed to like and hide the existence of everything else.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

JB Hi-Fi was selling Sin and Punishment 2 some time ago, however, considering that the game was never classified here, it was never officially certified for local release.

Tryken

Tryken said:

NoA is starting to really push irk me. I don't get it. I really don't. What logic is there in not releasing these games here? I feel like it's just to assert dominance over its consumers. Which is insane, of course, because it's Nintendo fans like us that went out and bought the 3DS. It's because of us that we stuck with the original DS, too, when there was so little software for it. Not to mention it was also us that kept the Gamecube from being a tragedy.

But now that Nintendo has its casual fans, it just throws us to the curb.

Number_6

Number_6 said:

My money is still on NOA releasing Xenoblade and The Last Story in 2012. What else is in the pipeline to generate excitement after the release of Skyward Sword next month...and I guess perhaps the new Kirby? NOA still has to move Wiis in 2012 and probably wouldn't mind selling some software to boot. With minimal cost compared to development of a new title, build up demand (see above posts) with a perceived scarcity of product, a free year long advert campaign o/k/a press attention and gamer forum discussions, it's an easy bet for release.