First Impressions: Mighty Switch Force

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The Mighty series just got a lot mightier

While Shantae will probably always be the series WayForward is best known for, it's also been quite successful on Nintendo's download services, especially with its two previous Mighty releases, Mighty Flip Champs and Mighty Milky Way. Now the developer is looking to continue that success with its first 3DS eShop release Mighty Switch Force. And while the game is yet another radical departure from the previous releases in the series, it's every bit as unique and one of the most polished eShop releases to date.

The basic premise behind Mighty Switch Force revolves around helping officer Patricia Wagon round up the five Hooligan Sisters who've escaped custody and are hiding around each level. Once you've captured all five sisters, you must then make your way to the extraction robot Corporal Gendarmor, who'll whisk you away to the next level. And while merely finishing the level will allow you to unlock the next one, if you finish the level under the par time, you'll earn a nice little blue star for your efforts.

There's a host of platforming and shooting throughout each level, but it's the unique "switching" gameplay that's the most interesting twist. Pressing A will cause Patricia Wagon's Siren Helmet to flash, thus shifting the machine matrix of the level and causing various blocks to activate and others to deactivate. This can be anything from a regular block that will move in and out of the screen to special blocks that will allow Patricia and any enemies to shoot out of them in the specified direction. You'll soon find that switching these slabs, sometimes even on the fly, plays an integral part in your navigating the trickier sections of each level.

WayForward has always had a knack when it comes to creating a responsive and very playable gameplay scheme and Mighty Switch Force is no exception. The jumping and shooting mechanics work like a charm and give you all of the tools you'll need to safely manoeuvre your way around. And when you toss in the unique switching mechanic, you've got a game that challenges not only your reflexes but your problem-solving abilities as well. Of course having the par times to tackle adds in a nice layer of replay value to keep you coming back even after you've beaten the stages.

From the moment you fire up Mighty Switch Force for the first time, you know that you're going to be in for a visual treat. The vibrant colour scheme and the high level of detail really bring the world of Planet Land to life on screen. Toss in the sheer depth the 3D display brings to the table, and you've got what is easily one of the best-looking games we've seen to date on Nintendo's 3DS system. Of course, not to be outdone by the striking visuals, the up-tempo soundtrack the game features is every bit as impressive and matches the intensity of the gameplay perfectly. There's even a little voiced dialogue to spice up the audio package.

As impressive as its two previous Mighty releases are, WayForward has managed to take the series to new heights with this third title. Not only is the switching idea well implemented, but the visual and musical presentation the developer has built around it all is equally incredible. If you haven't put Mighty Switch Force on your 3DS must-have list, do it now.

We'd like to thank WayForward for sending us the preview build of Mighty Switch Force.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Awesome, now I'm even more excited! I can't wait for this game! So glad to hear it's living up to all the hype I'm giving it. Day one buy.

Anyone notice Wayforward almost always makes their villains,uh, "saucy"? XD

AbuJaffer

AbuJaffer said:

Sounds great; looking forward to more WayForward releases on the eShop, and will hopefully be picking it up (if I can find cash left over after getting all these games this winter).

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wayforward are shooting for a December release if all goes according to plans. :D

BlackShyGuy

BlackShyGuy said:

@ MechaPhoenix
Me too lol
Is it just me or the does this game look like Gunstar Heroes?

rosebud

rosebud said:

...one of the most polished eShop releases to date.

Beating out what? Let's Golf?

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

Wayforward should make a crossover between Shantae and all the Mighty(insert title) games!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

When I saw that new trailer in the eShop I was really impressed at how good this game looks in 3D. I'm really looking forward to picking this up.:)

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

The gameplay in this one appeals to me more than the previous mighties (even though I love them)

oh yeah..............................

NEW ZEALAND WON THE RUGBY WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WooooooooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

.............and we're back

@BRAINFOX shantae gives you cash depending on your progress in the mighty games (at least for the first two) so they cross over at least in spirit

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Hard Labor... lol.

These screenshots look.. amazing. I can't wait for this game, I never tried Shantae or any Might Switch games so It will be great to see what the hype is.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Corbs I'm jealous! :P

I can't wait until this lands on eShop! I loved both of the previous 'Mighty' titles and this looks to be the best of the bunch.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

Out of interest is their any download limit for 3DSWare games as their is for DSiWare & WiiWare ?

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

After recently picking up Aliens: Infestation and Shantae Risky's Revenge, I can say I most certainly get this one. Of course I still need to pick up the other Mighty games, and some of their retail releases as well.

Rococoman

Rococoman said:

Am I the only person who is weirded out by Wayforward's ridiculous female character designs? There's no way I'ld let my girlfriend - or anyone for that matter - catch me playing their games, for fear of looking like some odd cartoon-fetish perv.

lalalalalalal

lalalalalalal said:

Will get. But the big N sure loves to make us wait!

NEW: Rolling Western eshop game
(Not out yet)

NEW: Freaky Forms!: You creations, alive
(Not nearly out)

Pyramids in North America? Nope. And this game? No. GRRRRR!!!!!!

lalalalalalal

lalalalalalal said:

@23. Rococoman
I know, right? Can't they just look...normal..er..ish?
But, yeah, I get what your say'n there.

RoyalBlur

RoyalBlur said:

This is going to be a great WayForward game. I am really anticipating playing Mighty Switch Force although I do hope the protagonist 'Alta' from Mighty Flip Champs gets another game as I really like her and her costume.

I'm also wondering if we'll see a 3D Shantae game for the 3DS?

Rococoman

Rococoman said:

Thanks, lala and Capt_N. The character designs in Shantae, while arguably a bit much, did make sense. This game and subsequent games, though, are just weirding me out.

I can't fathom the horrors which exist on the hard drives of WayForward's artists and designers.

Sh00kst3r

Sh00kst3r said:

@31

Horrors? What horrors? >googles Mighty Switch Force Oh, THESE horrors? Bagh. Horrors.