EA Pledges "Key Franchises" to Wii U

Posted by James Newton

FIFA, Madden, Battlefield?

With a release date way off in the misty distance of 2012, there's not a huge amount of Wii U information to go around at the moment, but EA chief operating officer Peter Moore is confident the mega-publisher will be there with all its big titles.

Speaking to Reuters, Moore revealed he's heading over to Nintendo's Japanese HQ next week to discuss system specs and how EA can support the console, but he also said EA has teams in place working on Wii U right now, saying:

Our key franchises will be there. We’ve made that commitment to Nintendo.

While many of EA's biggest franchises are in the world of sport, it also has plenty of options in other genres: Battlefield, Mass Effect, Need for Speed and more all sit under the EA publishing umbrella.

What EA titles would you hope to see make the leap across to Wii U in 2012 and beyond

[via blogs.reuters.com]

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@1

Looks like you'll have to wait next year friend.

Calling a couple of sports games at launch with maybe Battlefield 3+,and the next Burnout game.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I hope Nintendo doesn't make the same mistake with Wii U as they did with 3DS: do NOT rely on the 3rd parties to actually release games in time for launch. Nintendo should have some games ready by launch, we don't want a repeat of 3DS's launch.

thanos316

thanos316 said:

well if the wii u is coming out next fall then im sure madden and fifa will be ready to roll on it. and with any console i can only hope that the lineup keeps getting better year after year. so lets hope no shovelware, but maybe im being too optimistic

Expa0

Expa0 said:

When EA says "key franchises" they obviously mean shovelware.

Mizore

Mizore said:

IGN was also blabbering something about Origin, so yeah....
EDIT: Of course I can't find it now, go figure, lol

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I haven't played any Dead space games yet (I plan on getting extraction at some point though) but its the only EA franchise I care about so I hope we see that series on the wii U. Maybe ports of the first two.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

NHL and MVP Baseball. About time Nintendo fans had decent sports games with guys other than Mario.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Nintendo better have Pikmin 3 out for launch or I'll be asking questions, although they will definitely need a Mario game to sell the system

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Hmmm.... I hope Nintendo doesn't rely too heavily on 3rd parties. Look how the 3DS launched. It took 6 months and a price drop to get back on course. They'll need to bundle "New Super Mario Bros. Mii" with it or something to really sell it of course. (A Metroid wouldn't hurt though [Hint-Hint])

Hokori

Hokori said:

meh I dont care for EA, gimme Capcom, Square Enix, Konami, and Namco support Ill be ok

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

I'm hoping for: Need for Speed (almost guaranteed seeing as they put NFS on Wii anyway), Battlefield 3 (we saw that at E3, though the game will be older by then so I'm thinking it will be bundled with any DLC that comes out), Mass Effect 3 (i'm really HOPING for this one but seeing as it took a minute to get ME on PS3, I don't know if it'll happen right away), Madden & other sports games are kind of obvious (again, look at E3). Glad to have such a big publisher pushing & committing to the Wii U. good signs all around!

Mizore

Mizore said:

....Yeah I think I just misread something that had "origin" in in it....whatever. lol

gamecubefan

gamecubefan said:

SO BASICALLY IT WILL BE JUST LIKE THE WII THIRD PARTY SUPPORT. "SEPARATE" VERSIONS OF GAMES.

why does anyone believe anything will change?

zionich

zionich said:

Im still waiting for original third party games I want to play to come to 3DS. Ill believe it when I see it.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

Key franchises my . EA doesn't have any key franchises. The only franchises I'd like to see from them are Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, and maybe Mass Effect. It would be great if they sold those as a collection, and only if they supported the Wii Remote and Nunchuck.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

@26

so you kind of contradict yourself their?

Mass effect wouldn't be worth a port. either you play the whole Trilogy or you don't play at all.

timp29

timp29 said:

Pledging allegiance is lame. Just make games and profits game companies.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

MERCENARIES!!!!!! They can finally release a third one. Nintendo needs a good open-world GTA style game.

TylerS

TylerS said:

i smell a The Sims 3 Pets port,some sport games and Battlefield 3 with some DLC

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

I'll be looking forward to seeing what REAL support this system gets. Show me the games, don't just announce em.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@15
Now that you said it they have no excuse of not doing it.:D New Super Mario Bros Mii with the system!

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

Hey, you know, I'm suprised nobody's said this: MySims! It may look designed for kids around 8-9 years old, but it's still a lot of fun!

motang

motang said:

Good to know! Wii U should be on par with PS3 but lets hope it can keep up Sony's next gen offering.

Hawker

Hawker said:

Where have I heard this before? Oh yes, everytime Nintendo announces a new system companies like EA promise to support it with it's biggest games, then either don't put the same effort that they do for other systems, or don't release games people would actually wanna play.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

It could be said EA already has key franchises on the Wii since FIFA and Madden have been on the system for years and Dead Space was on the console in the form of Dead Space Extraction which then then gave away for the PS3. There was a Medal of Honor, SSX, Skate, Need for Speed. Harry Potter, Rock Band, James Bond, Sims, Spore, and I'm sure there were a few more.

I personally liked that the Wii had a few unique entries in some of these series like SSX Blur and Dead Space Extraction and I hope Wii U still gets those kinds of games but it'd also be nice to get some of those other franchises that haven't been seen on Nintendo's systems.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

If you meant to point out that EA pledged support for the Wii U while I spoke mostly about the Wii, that was intentional. I meant to highlight that EA's support shouldn't immediately be seen as a ringing endorsement as it could just as easily be said that they pledged key franchises to the Wii but that doesn't mean the games the Wii got were what players where wanting or expecting. Sometimes it worked out okay with the Wii game being as good or better than the HD equivalent as was the case with Goldeneye and Bloodstone, or sometimes the experience was different but still a quality, engaging experience like Dead Space Extraction, but more often it felt like the Wii game was made with far less care and attention than their equivalents, as was often the case with Madden, the first Rock Band, and several Need for Speed games.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

I loved Dead Space Extraction myself, probably moreso than the original Dead Space where you play a glorified errand boy. My problem with Extraction was that it didn't feel like a complete $50 package. The main campaign was short (I'll get back to that in a bit), the unlocks weren't anything special, just short segment of the campaign repurposed for score attack and a motion comic released with the original Dead Space and freely available on XBL. They could've at least included the Dead Space Extraction comic that was released shortly before the game.

Personally, I think the main campaign is fine in its length; they shouldn't pad that out but they could've done what Resident Evil did in Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles and have bonus levels that show things from a different character's point of view, which seems to be one of the main attractions of the Dead Space franchise anyways. You briefly meet several characters in the campaign whom you could follow for a few levels.

For example, you can follow the two security officers that went to secure the shuttle station and died in the subsequent crash, you could follow Vincent and her team and reenact a few scenes from Dead Space Downfall, or play some time as the doctor you meet at the patched-together barricade (I might've gotten some of the details wrong since its been a while since I've played the game but my point remains valid).

Emborges

Emborges said:

@Hawker 37 I'm not trying to defend EA, but the main reason for that is that Nintendo systems are different, with different limitations and playerbase.

This time Nintendo is offering something that EA can work with (in terms of hardware) now they have everything that is needed to bring their key franchises.

Debageldond

Debageldond said:

Please, please MVP Baseball. 2K Sports has destroyed MLB games for Nintendo--I still try and keep my rosters updated in MVP 05. PowerPros was fun, but everything else for the last six years has been garbage. If I can get MVP Baseball 2013 on the Wii U, I will weep happily.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

If they handle the Wii U games the same way they did on Wii people will continue to not care. But then again I guess when Madden sells millions on 360 and PS3 they don't really have to care if their budget Wii version of the game hardly sells anything. I'd like to think Nintendo would ask them put some effort in next time but lets face it, Nintendo itself doesn't deserve high marks for effort these days.

nfzeta007

nfzeta007 said:

It seems to me that a lot of 3rd party developers are doing is taking on a wait for someone else policy, where they don't want to try it out for themselves but will wait for the ideas from Nintendo and other, braver developers to show them the way before trying.
At least Nintendo has a few developers with already announced games to give us hope.