Classic Courses Captured in Mario Kart 7 Stills

Posted by James Newton

Balloons at the ready

It's no surprise that Mario Kart 7 features courses from previous games, but now you can race by land, air and sea some past tracks might work a little differently.

In the new shots below we've got some aerial action in Mario Kart Wii's Mushroom Gorge, the return of Balloon Battle in a Super Mario Kart-inspired battle stage and the Luigi Mansion stage from Mario Kart DS.

It's not all recycled content though: half of the game's 32 courses are brand new, and some even feature sheep. Or goats. We're not sure which.

Last week Nintendo revealed more about Mario Kart 7's online features, including the new Community tool and Mario Kart Channel.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

Can't wait. Finally a game that is trying to add something different and not just churn out more of the same. Lets hope the online works well.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This game just keeps looking better and better. I'll likely pre-order this after I get Super Mario 3D Land. Here's hoping that the battle mode is better than in Mario Kart Wii.

Rensch

Rensch said:

Oh god yes! Waluigi Pinball is back!

Curious about the motion controls as well.

Gene

Gene said:

Confirmed tracks (might be translation errors etc.):

Race:

Wuhu Town
N64 Big Donut
GBA Battle Course 1
DS Palm Shore

Tare

Tare said:

You know, all these trailers aren't making the wait any easier XD

kingothekoopas

kingothekoopas said:

woah, lakitu is playable? sweet! love that little guy. so long as he's not dropping those spiked guys on me.

Duffthemonkey

Duffthemonkey said:

Does anyone know if there have been any sort of DLC for this yet? With new and or old tracks being made available?

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I could just imagine playing with the gliding cars in the sky and also having Wi-fi battles in December only. :/

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

Nintendo have really spoiled us with all the Super Mario 3D Land/Mario Kart 7/Skyward Sword content, as of recent.

Psyched to the max for this one :)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This game just keeps looking better and better, the only 3DS game I'm looking forward to more is Tales of the abyss.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Might finally get a 3DS with this game if I see a good deal this christmas. Though I have played a demo of MK7 & it kinda sucked, though that's because the options were limited. Can't wait to be able to customise which wheels & build etc. I want & hopefully no cheating online would be nice! :D

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Good pick to add Coconut Mall. That was my favorite course on the Wii and I had some wild online races with that course. Also adding Wuhu island is good idea

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Guys, balloon battles have been in Mario Kart games from the very start. This shouldn't be a surprise. XD

ueI

ueI said:

Two important questions remain.

1. Are the balloon battles like the ones found in Mario Kart Wii, or are they the far superior ones found in the rest of the series?

2. Are those sheep or goats? My money is on the latter.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

When will Nintendo bring back Yoshi's Valley and N64's Rainbow Road? Those are my 2 favorite Mario Kart tracks. :(

WildMan

WildMan said:

This game just keeps on getting better and better! At first I thought it was going to be just like Mario Kart Wii, but it appears that they are trying new ideas, which I highly support!

TLink9

TLink9 said:

So what is with the "retro" courses. Most of them are Wii and DS. Seriously I don't want to see a minor course upgrade from a recently put out game.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Maybe a silly question, but does this game also have a online leaderboard (like Mariokart Wii)?

NinjaMario

NinjaMario said:

Um... nintendolife? Did anyone else notice that at the end it said December 2ND. Not 4th? Is it now gonna be released on the 2nd? That'd be epic... NL please answer!!!

Punny

Punny said:

Lovely. By the looks of it, the old style of Balloon Battling is returning, unlike the kind in Mario Kart Wii. Can't Wait! :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

"yes ^"

Thanks for the answer! Not that I am good at timetrials (I am very bad at it). But I will try anyway when I have the game!

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

@NinjaMario it is realised for 2nd of december for the UK
and 4th of december for the USA.

Edit: Oh and btw, welcome to Nintendo Life, I see you
joined five days ago. (Ever sinced I joined I got hooked.)

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Yes!!! Waluigi Pinball! Coconut Mall!!! :D

The only way Nintendo could top all of this is by adding Pauline as a playable character.