A Whole World of Super Mario 3D Land Artwork

Posted by James Newton

Guess who's back?

Nintendo's just released yet more character artwork from Super Mario 3D Land, showing some classic characters will make their return.

Super Mario Bros. 3 veterans will recognise the Boomerang Bro — also seen in New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2 — but there are new characters too: Boom Boom seems to have found himself a girlfriend, and there's a rather jolly-looking Whomp too.

If all this whets your appetite for information, don't forget to read our Super Mario 3D Land preview and send in your questions for our upcoming Q&A article.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Oh man, that not-dead eerie is one of the most adorable things ever.

...Needs a tanuki tail, though.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

I never thought I'd be sick of the koopa kids, but they're being overused to a Metal Sonic degree.

Other than that though, the game is looking great.

skywake

skywake said:

Why do they have to release this on the same day as Skyward Sword?

Could have at least launched one of them.... now... ish... :P

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'll go ahead and announce what Boom-Boom's girlfriend's name is: Bam-Bam!

That eerie-like enemy is supposed to be a dragon that spits fire at you. Tannooki Boo looks cute too. I'm so glad that I pre-ordered this game yesterday!

chronicler

chronicler said:

The kids haven't been overused. Only in SMB3 and New Super Mario Bros Wii. Plus Boom Boom isn't a koopa kid, he's just there a lot. The kids were the rulers of the 7 worlds in SMB3 and Bowser Jr. is the 8th one.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I love the Propeller Mario, Tanooki Boo, & Happy Whomp! This game is gonna be so awesome.

@Sir_Dragoon - Eh?

@Highwinter - Erm, The Koopa Kids have only appeared in 2 Mario titles, and Boom Boom hasn't been in a Mario game in 23 years!

AcidFox

AcidFox said:

@chronicler: Don't forget that the koopa kids also appeared in Superstar Saga. But yeah, how can 4 games in 20 years be overuse? If anything, we need MORE games with the Koopa Kids, heck, give them their own game! Anyway, as far as I know they've (sadly) not been announced for this game, is there something I'm missing?

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

So far there were no signs of the koopa kids actually being in this game.
Boom-Boom isn't one of them.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@James

Easy; see the pipe dispensers in world 1-2 of Mario 3. All they have to do is wait for the next one to pop out.

Happy Whomp is awesome, by the way.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

So glad the boomerang brothers are back, compare to the hammer bros. the boomerang weren't as annoying. Hopefully they introduced the boomerang power-up too like they were gonna in the GBA version of Super Mario Bros. 3.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

Has everyone forgotten that the Koopa Kids were in Super Mario World too? Poor, forgotten Super Mario World...

Hm, still haven't seen any characters from Super Mario Land or 6 Golden Coins. There's got to be at least one, right?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Bowser's children are koopaLINGS not Koopa kids. The Koopa kids are that trio of enemies from the Mario party series. Anyway the artowork looks awesome but I think they're overusing the Tanooki tail.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

The more I see it and read about it the more I cant wait for it to come out.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I'd like the Koopalings to make a reappearance in this one, but I doubt it will happen and that's ok — they have to have something to bring back to get us excited about the sequel. ;) This will likely, however, be the first Mario game since his inception that Bowser Jr is apparently not a part of.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

That one picture looks like how a Rex would look if it died and became a Boo.
Untitled

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@John: #34 Awesome icon.

@mariofanatic128: #25 I, too think that the Tanooki-tail is getting overuse, & overuse-abuse. To make matters worse, the tail isn't even providing full-nostalgia(no flight, just tail whip, & float?!), which is the reason Nintendo is including it, in the first place. I wish Nintendo had made/given the suit all of it's original properties(, including flight).

@Mully: #29 I 100% prefer the Koopalings to Bowser Jr.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@Capt_N That would make the game much too easy. If you notice, the whole game so far involves tricky jumps aided by the 3D effect. Just flying over everything would take away all the challenge.

pocket_arsenal

pocket_arsenal said:

Also, Koopalings are in Yoshi Safari.

Here's the list of their appearances I know of:

Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Mario is Missing
Yoshi Safari
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
New Super Mario Bros. Wii

...they were also going to be in Super Princess Peach, but they got cut.
As far as I know, Boom Boom has never been seen outside Super Mario Bros 3.

Anyway, I heard the Koopalings were not really Bowser's Children in the Japanese story, they were just called "Koopa Henchmen"

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nice artwork! As for the Boom Boom's girlfriend: Isn't she just Wendy O Koopa? Also: RACCOON TAIL OVERLOAD! Goomba's, Boo's. Even Bowser has a raccoon tail! Is this part of the presumably pretty simple story? I mean: Bowser finding a big bunch of power-leafs and using them to rule the kingdom?

Also, that blue flying thing looks a bit like yoshi!