Zelda: Skyward Sword Video is a Real Treasure

Posted by James Newton

You'll see

Arguably one of the best bits of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker was the treasure-hunting sections that made a thrill out of exploring the expansive ocean, and the idea returned again in Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. Even without so much water everywhere, treasure is just as important in Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, as the video below shows.

At certain points in his journey, Link will encounter mysterious rocks which — once struck with a fully charged sword — send up beacons in the skyworld, leading you toward bonus items.

Unfortunately the video below ends just before the crucial musical pay-off and reveal of exactly what the treasure item is, but it's still good to find one more reason to await the game's arrival in November.

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

Haha. Tempting us. I WANNA KNOW WHATZ IN TEH CHEST. Sadness. The cruelty. The brutality... the inhumanity.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Wait, people actually liked hunting down, and using the grappling hook to get treasure in The Great Sea? Different strokes, I guess...

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

So, instead of a boat you have a bird, and instead of the sea you have the sky? Cool stuff.

Oscarsome

Oscarsome said:

I found treasure hunting rather tedious and boring in WW. But this treasure hunting looks more exciting, as there seems to be more depth to the process. Like discovering islands in the sky.

timp29

timp29 said:

A tad disappointed with the chest opening animation. I thought it would be a little more polished.

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

Huh, the little islands in the sky remind me of Windwaker. I hope this game puts the same emphasis on exploration as its cellshaded counterpart.

Link79

Link79 said:

I can see people not liking this. In Wind waker it took forever sailing all over for those Triforce pieces. I'm betting this game has a similar fetch quest towards the end as well.
So much for Skyward sword being flawless.

Rockman

Rockman said:

yep! like the vid. wanna play the game!
Hope it's easier to get into then Twilight princess.

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

I can't get over the awful "treasure get" theme at the end, what was wrong with it before D:

bub166

bub166 said:

That seals the deal! I was a little worried about how this will turn out, I've never even used a Wii Motion + before. But all of this treasure hunting sounds really cool...

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I like how you're able to upgrade your items too through finding materials. :p
Can't wait for this game. >.>

SuperSonic

SuperSonic said:

To think I might have regreted preordering this game when I could just borrow it... I'm disappointed in myself... CAN'T WAAAAIIIIIT!!!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I want this game soooo bad D:

Probably the last Wii game for me and my most anticipated game this year. The months are moving slower than usual. I feels as I've watched quite a lot of new thing on this game, but still don't know much about it. :P

But that's good I guess. Have to save some things for the actual game itself, not just the ending.

Terave

Terave said:

This is just cruel! I want to know what's inside already! D:
Anyway, even if I get it, I can only play for like a month (If I get it on release). Stupid holiday... _

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

We all know Zelda is in the chest! :) That is right they just showed you the ending of the game! :D

Cia

Cia said:

they've changed the useless rupee treasures to item and weapon upgrades, so i have no idea what some of you are talking about.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

"You got 50 rupees! But your wallet is full, so you put it back."

Rensch

Rensch said:

The Hyrule in this game seems to be much like Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess, while the sky world is more like the sea in Wind Waker. Looks really cool.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

I don't like those square boring-looking rocks. At first glance i thought the soaring pedestals from Majora's Mask were ported. But if we get some neat things from these (not five rupees or such) like a bottle, heart pieces, even a new area or a key item, that's another story.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Rensch, my thoughts exactly. They always seem to do some sort of dual world system with Zelda, but this time, it looks like there really are two different worlds to explore. The thrill of discovering Hyrule and the sky world again are exciting.

Paperclip

Paperclip said:

Woah, anyone else get a slight Mario Galaxy vibe? :D

Like, an open world Mario Galaxy with a Wind Waker overworld and the sky instead of the sea. SO EXCITE.