Zelda Gets All Lovey-Dovey in Skyward Sword Trailer

Posted by James Newton

And it's not even Valentine's Day

He was a ruffian from the wrong side of the tracks: she was a Princess who longed to explore the world. Their romance flourished, with the help of a talkative genie and a magic carpet. Hold on... we've got something mixed up along the way.

The latest trailer for Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword plays up the romance between Link and Zelda — not quite a Princess yet, remember — in their world of Skyloft. There's no mushy kissing or anything, but it's interesting to see the genesis of the relationship that's driven the series over the past 25 years.

We'll have another Skyward Sword trailer for you tomorrow.

pixelman

pixelman said:

The lack of any kind of sound besides the music was kind of awkward, but oh well. Very pretty game.

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

this makes the game even better. instead of going through the motions and not really caring what happens in the story, now with the relationship between link and zelda, this will make me become attached and make even more angry at the bad guy

hatty475

hatty475 said:

Why would you bring a harp to go riding on a giant bird?
Looks great, though!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Nin-Pal: #4 - Have you even considered how Mario has Pauline, & Peach, Luigi has Rosalina, & Daisy, & Link also gets more than 1 girl? Nintendo's main heroes generally get more than 1 girl.

Edit: This development seems interesting.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

What do they think they are doing!? Don't they know that's how you get cooties!?
Anyway, I'm not too fond of that soundtrack. It doesn't sound very memorable.

C-195

C-195 said:

Has anyone else noticed that the harp zelda has is exactly like the one Sheik uses in Oot and the one see in Link's in game inventory? Hmmm....

It's good to see the the games focusing on Zelda's personality and relationship with Link a bit more.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

The characterization better be as good as in Majora's Mask, though this love story looks promising. I just hope we don't see them kissing at the end of the game, like those horrible fanfics.

Skotski

Skotski said:

@Capt_N ...actually doesn't Mario technically have Daisy? Considering that he did save her in Super Mario Land?

But Link... he definitely has more than just Zelda.
I'm not even a big Zelda-series fan and I am quite aware of his flirts from other regions. :P

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

I personally think the Zelda in this game looks a bit freaky. Unlike my new avatar! (Thanks, pixelman).

sykotek

sykotek said:

This new Zelda doesn't look "Zelda" enough to me (character). ...and what's with the freaky oversized birds, there's enough of that already in gaming, it's disturbing.

@Capt_N: Link has seen plenty of action, here's just a few.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

sc100

sc100 said:

Even video game characters need some lovin' every once in a while.

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

This game looks dreamy. But, alas, like all good love stories it ends when a giant bird explodes or something. How romantic <3

WiiAboutU

WiiAboutU said:

Looks like Links going to be sweating pixels in this one, just remember to clean up when your finished Link. lol

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Zelda in this game looks so much like Beth Riesgraf, who plays Parker the thief in the TNT series "Leverage" (one of the best shows on TV). Kinda figures when you think about it. Since Link has a history of breaking into people's houses, smashing vases and taking their rupees! ;)
Here's Beth for comparison.
Untitled
Sometimes bad princesses make the best good princesses! LOL

Ren

Ren said:

wow what a cool trailer. Could be the most tasteful video game trailer I've ever seen. Is the in-game music really of that caliber? I sure hope so; can't wait to play this. Looks like I'm going to have another bad week long "sickness" pretty soon like I did after launch.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

Can't wait to play this, although something about Zelda's face in the thumbnail pic (youtube window, or whatever you call the pic youtube shows before you hit play) looks kind of frightening to me. :O

pocket_arsenal

pocket_arsenal said:

I usually don't like romance, and when I do, it's the kind that's only hinted at and never set in stone. I liked how most games before this had multiple love interests for Link that were left to the players imagination. Having Link forced into relationship with the too obvious one is just boring.

Link79

Link79 said:

This is quite a refreshing change!
I always felt they would make a cute couple. Nothing wrong with a little romance in a good fantasy setting. If I was Zelda and not a guy I'd totally do Link! Ok maybe that was too much info LOL.

Colors

Colors said:

It- it's so, I think, I think I'm g- gonna, I- I think... WAAAAAAAAAH :'(

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Just a Hyrule girl!
Livin' in a Skyloft world!
Took that big bird-thing flyin' ev-ry-wheeeeeeeere!

JimLad

JimLad said:

Just a fairy boy!
Born and raised without a voice!
He took that big bird-thing, flyin' ev-ry-wheeeeeeeere!
guitar solo

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Alright. I take back what I said about being unsure about the music in this game without Koji. It sounds amazing so far. Also, the visual style is FINALLY starting to grow on me. Not even Windwaker turned me off this much.

Milkman-123

Milkman-123 said:

zelda: here take my shield, that i a beautiful innocent princess carry around to defend myself from monsters, instead of you doing your job protecting me.
link: ... :"

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Oh man Link better final get some sweet, sweet lovin' at the end of this adventure for all his hard work :D A kiss will do, just gotta see it was all worth it!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

H.O.L.Y S.H.!.T
If this is any indication on the music tracks in the game it's gonna be absolutely amazing! I love this. Great song!

Cia

Cia said:

The game is gonna get bed reviews because it has no voice acting.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

"but it's interesting to see the genesis of the relationship that's driven the series over the past 25 years."
-James Newton

Wait a sec... You're trying to tell me that the reason we've been getting lost in forests, walking through zombie infested dungeons, and being in a coma for seven years only to find out that Hyrule has been destroyed, was because of this!
Well that's anti climatic!

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

That's golly gee fine music. Just like nearly everyone else here, I hope we can hear stuff like that in actual gameplay.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I really enjoy the music. I hope this Zelda has some of the spunk Tetra and OoT/Shiek Zelda had too though. Too much mushy is icky.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

It's rare that we see any form of romantic relationship as this and the end of Zelda II are about the only times we see any closeness between the two as typically destiny has them going all kinds of other ways.

Interesting enough, Zelda is the one pushing up on Link... I think this calls for a one time "Well excuuuuuuse me, Link" :)

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

A villain that has blue gray skin
Nabs the girl to the boy's chagrin
Is Girahim a boy or girl we ask
on and on and on and on

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's nice to see Nintendo have a bit more romance, and this looks like geniune love compared to past relationships. Too bad that that freaky Ghirahim had to ruin the important secret part!

TheGamerKnight

TheGamerKnight said:

Finally, what Zelda fans have waited for all over the globe! We just knew that there should be some sort of romantic aspect between Link and Zelda, mainly because of how close they are. This will be interesting to see!

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

I have 4 words to say:

Well, excuuuuuse me, princess.

Also about the voice acting:
A legend of zelda game SHOULD NEVER HAVE ANY VOICE ACTING! It wil RUIN the game.

Cia

Cia said:

@54
Absolutely agreed. Put voice acting in Zelda and it loses something very unique.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

@31
Yeah... It's even creepier considering the fact that your avatar is link...

pocket_arsenal

pocket_arsenal said:

@53 That's a funny way to spell barely having anything to do with each other in any game that isn't Spirit Tracks.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

Originally, there wasn't really supposed to be a distinct difference between Link being a boy or girl. Then they made him a MA-YAN. Then, in Twilight Princess he was a huge bishie, and now in Skyward Sword he could PASS FOR ZELDA. The odds of him not being a him in the next game are high now, I believe.

JSX

JSX said:

wow this looks great
it may not be the most detailed game but the simplicity makes it work
definitely better than that pixelated/blurry mess that twilight princess was and I loved twilight's princesses dark/realistic art style
imo TP needs to be re-made because of its gamecube roots

SuperSonic

SuperSonic said:

0:43 Okay, the bird caught link... but what about Zelda?
Zelda:"AAAAAAHHHHHHhhhh... ahhh............"splat

1:07 Whoa, slow down, there, Zelda!

Finally! A relationship between Link and Zelda! This is going to contribute to the game's drama! But I don't mean anything like those 100% drama novelas where everybody loves, hates, misunderstands, or cheats on everybody.

Zach

Zach said:

The depth of this game looks incredible. I can't wait. And I certainly hope that once she becomes a princess, Zelda gets an opportunity to excuse him.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

What kind of sick, twisted entity who isn't Ganondorf or Vaati would even think of destroying true love?! It's sick, I tell you! Complete and utter gero! :'(

NIN10DOXD

NIN10DOXD said:

@33
Just a awesome elf boy!
Born and raised in Kokiri Forest!
Took that big bird-thing flyin' ev-ry-wheeeeeeeere!

pocket_arsenal

pocket_arsenal said:

@64
Please definte Gero. I googled it and got lots of people in history, and Dragonball's Dr. Gero, and it doesn't make sense in the context of what you are trying to say.