Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 Steals an OFLC Rating

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Greed is great

It's a big day for the Game Boy's Mario Land series. The rather splendid Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins became available on the 3DS Virtual Console, and its follow-up has taken the first step towards the same fate thanks to Australia's OFLC ratings board.

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 marks the first leading role for Bizarro-Mario and kicked off an exceptional series known for taking a more experimental approach to platformers. It also just so happens to be among the best that the handheld has to offer, regardless of genre.

Start stockpiling pirate gold for when this one drops at whatever time Nintendo pushes the "fun" button. In the meantime, enjoy the glory of this 1994 commercial for the game. Remember, you are handsome and greed is great.

[via classification.gov.au]

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Good news indeed. I never played any of the Warioland games except for the one on the Virtual Boy. I will be grabbing this one up for sure.

RoryLee

RoryLee said:

That's great news! I've have never had the chance to play these games, I'm definitely not gonna pass these games up.

Juampi

Juampi said:

Cool, I've played Wario Land 2, 3 and 4, but have never had the chance to play the original... looking forward to this.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

This was my first Game Boy game, and I still love it. I'll gladly pay $4 to be able to play it on my 3DS.

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

The very first game I really dominated. Wow, must have played it for months. Still remember all the diffenrent castles you get in the end. Let's see if I'll manage to get more than the planet as a present.

snigel1

snigel1 said:

Never liked this one. It's to much lurking around to solve stages, i like my platformers straight!

SMW1 was quite strange and seemed a bit rushed out but still decent, SMW2 in the king of the Game Boy Marios.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!! This is by far one of the BEST gameboy games of all time! Not only that, but just a great game in general!

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

This game was mind-blowing back in the day and still holds up shockingly well. These were some of the best graphics on the original GameBoy. Great music as well.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Now we're talking! Bring on Wario! :D And still one of the best video game commercials ever.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Yeahoo! Still need to play this one, my most-anticipated EShop release yet :)

Adamant

Adamant said:

Very unlike what the series would later evolve into, and kind of hampered by its rather low difficulty, but still a very well designed platformer. Look forward to this, kids - it's quite a lot better than Mario Land 2.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

So...wait, has Super Mario Land 2 been released yet? Or...is this a different region? >.>
Both games need to hurry, I want Wario Land games, lol.

Link79

Link79 said:

Finally the Wario series is on the way! I traded these games in years ago and felt like a fool ever since. These games were fantastic and I never should have got rid of them. Soon I'll be redeemed!

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Good to see Wario Land is coming soon. It was a great game.
Keep them coming, Nintendo! Let the 3DS Virtual Console flourish!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Woo hoo!

I feel like the developers of the Mario Land series (a completely different group of people from the teams responsible for the home games) were always looking to create a unique twist on the Mario formula, but just couldn't quite bring it together until this game. ML1 and ML2 were certainly fun, but something didn't feel quite right... probably because the red plumber simply wasn't a natural fit for their very different creative vision.

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

Great news. Hopefully after they've released the game boy Wario Land games, they release the DK land games.

McRokert

McRokert said:

if they release this one next week then , nobody can deny nintendo got his act back together ..

I NEED THIS GAME NEXT WEEK !!!

Samholy

Samholy said:

i need it, naoWWWW

my friend had it and hardly ever let me try it. :-(
it was great ! too bad i could go too much into it. now the time has come

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I distinctly remember another commercial that said, "Not Mario... Wario..." that one was my fav, LOL! Sadly, I never got to try Mario Land II or the original WarioLand, but I played the heck out of WarioLand II & III on my Game Boy Color back in the day, and I'll be getting MarioLand II when it arrives in the shop a few hours from now! ;)

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I'm not sure if I played this one or Wario Land II at a Best Buy store a long time ago on a big screen (it was a Nintendo Demo unit with 4 or 5 gameboys in this large structure with tvs displaying what you're playing on the Gameboy), but I only really played Wario Land 4. I hope the latter is one of the ambassador games. My first GBA game!

And hope this comes out soon too.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Hmm.... so if Wario Land is Super Mario Land 3 then that would mean that the Wii game, Wario Land: Shake It would have to be Super Mario Land 8 right? So far I had only play four of them, 6 Golden Coins, Wario Land for GB, Wario Land 4, and Wario Land: Shake It, boy am I missing out on a lot.

Super Mario Land (GB)
Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (GB)
Super Mario Land 4: Wario Land (VB)
Super Mario Land 5: Wario Land 2 (GBC)
Super Mario Land 6: Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Super Mario Land 7: Wario Land 4 (GBA)
Super Mario Land 8: Wario Land - Shake It (Wii)

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

@38: This is the only Wario Land game associated with Mario Land, afterwards it spun off into its own independent series with no Mario present.

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Although I still have the original cartridge here, I'm buying it on the 3DS anyway! ^^

Henmii

Henmii said:

Needless to say: When it arrives and you haven't played it yet, download it! It's master!!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I remember that commercial... ah, good times with Nintendo's past commercials.

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

You don't see good Game commercials like this one anymore. As for this game i will indeed be getting it after i buy another eShop points card. I have less then a dollar left in my eShop account.