Rumour: Next Smash Bros. Could Be Called 'Universe'

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Game not actually in development, though

After the peculiar 'unveiling' of a new Smash Bros. title at E3 2011, after which it was hastily shot down, we've become wary of any so-called news about the next entry in the series. Nevertheless, a rumour is worth sharing, even if the actual game is still, potentially, years away.

There have been leaked images of what is supposedly a concept document for the next entry in the series, suggesting that the title will be 'Universe', utilising the 'U' from the Wii U branding. It's an interesting name, though Nintendo are refusing to comment, and series boss Masahiro Sakurai had this to say via Twitter yesterday:

"I'm currently concentrating on one title, Kid Icarus. Until this wraps up, Smash Bros. will not progress. Of course, characters have not been decided at all."

The game may be years away and the scanned document may not be real, but why should that stop fevered speculation? What do you think of the 'Universe' title?

[via andriasang.com]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Considering how long it's taking to get Kid Icarus: Uprising out, I'd say we should see SSB Universe about the time Nintendo is announcing the follow-up to the Wii U. :D

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Indeed Corbs :)

I personally like the 'Universe' angle, perhaps it could have a significant online element (the Wii version struggled with lag). It'd be good if they can bring in more third-party characters as well, with less obvious clones that have matching move-sets.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I have a better name for next Smash Bros. for both Wii U and 3DS: Super Smash Bros. Cross, because it features cross-console compatibility.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

It should be called:
Super Smash Bros Lucario burns in fire and Mewtwo returns!

erv

erv said:

As long as its not super smash bros: online as bad as last time I don't really care.

DLC characters would be awesome, as well as some stages. I liked the roster but think midna was a missed opportunity. I care more about its gameplay, the air battles in particular :)

It's a long ways off though.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

universe makes sense, since its a fighting game with the characters of the nintendo universe

it sounds kinda weird, but it could be worse

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Super Smash Bros. Universe doesn't sound all that bad to be honest. As long as they work on the online part of it, include more characters, stages etc. it should be awesome sauce.

SSBB was amazing, but let down by its online area. Sure you got DLC, new custom maps and pics, but nothing too extravagent (wrong spelling I know).

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Hey!
Who found my photoshop mock-up of a Fake SmashBros. game...
err..I mean nothing :$
he-he-he

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Will Wii U games have words that begin with the letter U as their suffix now?

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

I was thinking it was going to be called Super Smash Bros. Finale but that sounds better.

Rockman

Rockman said:

I personally think nintendo is readying a wii U online universe version with tournaments and all..

If not... that's what they should do! People want on-line gaming bad for the new console.

Weavius

Weavius said:

Super Smash Bros Uppercut would be more fitting. The Universe title will be saved for Super Mario (going from Land to World to Galaxy to Universe).

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

No. Universe doesn't seem to fit the theme set by the other ones. For me it sounds like a space knock-off than the real thing.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It's not a bad name, really, although it's not a fighting word like Melee and Brawl. I think Clash would suit the next game best.

I want Sakurai and Project Sora to stay committed to Kid Icarus: Uprising first. Once that gets properly done, then they can spend how much time they want on Smash Bros. More than likely, this name will not stick.

Adam

Adam said:

Melee, Brawl, Universe... yea, that makes sense. Apparently all you need to do to start a rumor is print a piece of paper and take a picture of it.

Samholy

Samholy said:

It should be called super smash bros No pokemons version
cause im sick of the critters.

but yeah, universe is nice, but it smells fake all the way

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

Sakurai's just mad because somebody blabbed out that a new Smash Bros. game is coming out and he has to make it.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

The super smash bros. series had great names, all of which include a battle. But universe? That is like saying, "Hey! Lets all take a trip on the moon instead of battling!" But I'm not worried because I know for a fact that they will consider the name over the years.

Tigus

Tigus said:

For now the name is cool it may or may not stick probably just a case of brainstorming so a more combat oriented name may come about later on.

Link245

Link245 said:

I doubt this, since it's supposed to be on 3DS also. Besides, shouldn't the title have some fighting word (Melee, Brawl)?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I agree with Wiiver, universe would be better for a 3D Mario platformer on the wii U. I think the name for this game should be Super smash bros. clash or Super smash bros. fury.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Super Smash Bros. Undefeated (of the East - Master Asia Ed.)
Super Smash Bros. Unleashed (kinda surprised they haven't used this one yet what with Godzilla and Sonic using it already)
Super Smash Bros. University - (3DS Pokemon Rumble Blast looks like it starts in a dorm room)
Super Smash Bros. Undeniable - There can be only 1: Highlander Ed.
Super Smash Bros. Unstoppable - Smash thru walls like DOA
Super Smash Bros. Umbrella (Oh wait, that's the new RE game)
Super Smash Bros. Unfathomable - Undersea Ed.
Super Smash Bros. Unf@ckingbelievable - New York City ed.

But I agree, New Super Mario Universe is a lock. Looking forward to it already.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Watch all games beginning with a U becoming Nintendo exclusives now. Can't wait for Uncharted, Unreal and Ultima. ;)

JayArr

JayArr said:

Universe makes a ton of sense. As in Universal since its on multiple systems.

Image came from 4chan so it should be taken with a grain of salt for sure.

bahooney

bahooney said:

When I talk to my friends about playing some Smash, I specify short hand by saying, "Hey, let's play some Brawl!" or "Wanna play some Melee?"

But, "Wanna plays some Universe?" sounds really dumb. I'm pretty sure this isn't real.

jkshaz

jkshaz said:

I kinda like the name Universe but I agree with those saying it seems unlikely given their more recent outings' names. ie Melee and Brawl.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Someone pointed out that Sakurai always signs his name with Kirby next to it.

But anyhow, exciting I'd say. Nintendo has to give him a bigger team to work with this time.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

My suggestions:

-Reloaded
-Supremacy
-Era
-Generations
-Royale
-Unleashed

Ok, I'll stop...

XD

Other than those, Universe sounds okay, but just not the best name for it in my opinion.

MarPokeSon334

MarPokeSon334 said:

no thats bad! because it shows the wii u thing only i want the 3ds to have that game to!!!!!!!! D:

pntjr

pntjr said:

MY SUGGESTIONS
-Network
-Battle Royale
-Universe
-Clash

I love "Super Smash Bros Network, but Universe works too.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Wow, that actually sound like a good title. Probably not real, though.

SuperSonic

SuperSonic said:

Then there's...

...Super Smash Bros. Feud

...Super Smash Bros. Argument

...Super Smash Bros. Court

...and finally Super Smash Bros. Divorce (with an equal amount of male and female characters)

Yep...

Tate24

Tate24 said:

Love see huge cast of new and old faces in universe!

And characters from other franchises like sonic, or jill valatine. Snake and what about pac man ! Hehe

Love slippy to be in it!

just so i can kick his green arse off edge of playing field into the sun! POW! Take that useless reptile lol

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

Sounds cool! I can't wait for the game! I can't believe Masahiro Sakurai wants to work on Kid Icarus though! Why can't Smash Bros. come first? Oh well, it'll make Kid Icarus fans happy.

Pupil_of_Life

Pupil_of_Life said:

Sounds great, but it doesn't flow well with the naming conventions of past titles in the series, since Universe isn't really a fighting term. Besides, I had a better title in mind long before this announcement; Super Smash Bros. Ultimatum.

Jr-Joe

Jr-Joe said:

super smash brothers
super smash brothers melee
super smash brothers brawl
super smash brothers universe
super smash brothers Nintendo vs Sega!
super smash brothers Nintendo vs The World

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Uh; you guys do realise that (if this is real), it's a brainstorming sheet. For a game that hasn't even begun formal development yet. That barely even classes even as a codename, it'll just be something botched together for the small handful of people who are talking about the project so they know what it is they keep getting emailed about.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I think Super Smash Bros. Universe actually sounds pretty awesome, though it would make more sense to have a fight-related name.

MarPokeSon334

MarPokeSon334 said:

the name universe is great but what is gonna be the name for the 3ds version if this name is confirmed? D:

Gameday

Gameday said:

I dont care what they call it , It should of been in dev with him or another team just make it right. And... AND Brawl needs to be A LAUNCH TITLE. GET TO WORK haha

Henmii

Henmii said:

The name "Universe" was rumored for months, but of course this document makes it more likely. I like the title, and it makes sense because of the U.

However, this game was announced faaar to soon. It was a Brawl situation: They first announce the game, then they contact Sakurai (With the difference that Brawl already did have a very small teaser-trailer at the time). That way he can't easily refuse. This kind of method is questionable in my opinion, but hopefully everything was arranged in good spirit!

I really hope people keep their expectations at bay! Sure, we don't want to pressure Sakurai so much that the game totally fails? People, block it out of your minds for now. And one day (probably in 5 years time) we will see a awesome new Ssb!!

castor

castor said:

Super Smash Bros. Universe = Every character from all the series + some new ones?

Human

Human said:

Super Smash Bros Rumble,
SUPER SMASH BROS RUMBLE!!
It's a cool name, also is a good name to make it short like the others.
¿Hey, do you want to play Rumble?

Retrogamer88

Retrogamer88 said:

i am glad Masahiro Sakurai is focusing on kid icarus so it turns out as good as it looks and it looks amazing so far,and title "universe" gives the impression that there may be more third party characters added or even more less well known nintendo characters but never the less universe is a great name i think

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

I'm honestly surprised they didn't just call it Super Smash Brothers 4. I mean there won't be any names left and that's basically what they did with Mario Kart 7. This game however will be Great characters I expect to see:

Ninten
Sheriff
Leaf
Matthew
Bowser Jr
Metal Mario
Dixie Kong
Starfy
Louie
Mii

PLEASE STOP ASKING FOR NARUTO AS IF IT ISN'T OBVIOUS WHY HE CAN'T BE IN THERE!

garfhat69

garfhat69 said:

I wonder if this entry is going to have the same features for both Wii U and 3DS.

Jiedhyrf

Jiedhyrf said:

Me and my friends expected, out of sheer guess and the fact that meelee had the word brawl in the description (ya it sounds retarded so far, we came up with it when brawl came out), the new SSB would be Super Smash Brothers: Revolution. Sounds cooler tjan universe, anyways.

theAwfulbet

theAwfulbet said:

Hmm. Well Super Smash Bros. Unite could be a good one. Still sort of fight oriented, but could be a good reference to online and wifi interactivity if they have it. Also could be about how they eventually have to unite their powers to fight a common enemy like with Tabuu. I would prefer SSBrothers Collide. The colliding of worlds. And systems. Even the symbol shows that.

Good characters I would like to see:
Commander Keen
Pac Man
Sly Cooper characters (I kknow they 99% won't have that happen but if I could make one most impossible wish)
Crash Bandicoot
Ray Man
Bit.trip characters.
Tron characters. Like Clu, Rinzler, and Quorra (as much as I don't want them to integrate movies since they might go overboard, these would be a plausible choice)
Spore Wars
Prince Of Persia
Ninjabread man, why not
Earthworm Jim

Others of course. Now before you begin to scoff at all my ideas, remember that you wouldn't only be getting the character, but also cool and stylized levels and weapons and music and assist trophies. Sly would be great for that. I know the ninjabread game didn't do well, and I never played it, but his moves from the trailer and items show he could have a unique visual style to the game. Now that you can take pictures, visual diversity is a must.