Point Your Finger at This Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Trailer

Posted by James Newton

All together now...

Two of the DS's greatest heroes are combining in one 3DS adventure. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright is real, and it looks like this.

The first thing worth noting is the 3D polygon models of Layton and Phoenix are remarkably faithful to their original two-dimensional selves, with the familiar sight of Wright's brow dripping with sweat sure to bring a smile to many Phoenix fans.

Recently we reported that there's hope for Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright outside Japan, and now we've seen this trailer we're crossing everything we can get our hands on.

Thanks to Robert for the tip.

[via tinycartridge.com]

benjamines

benjamines said:

This has got to be one of the best ideas for video game ever. Two of the best third-party franchises rolled into one. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

No further questions! The game will surrender to a localization team pending international release. Court adjourned!

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Wow, I just watched the video. It looks great the music, the art style... That was beautiful :O

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

That was just....wow! How can so much awesomeness be crammed into one 2:00 video? If this doesn't get localized I just might have to choke several Capcom and Level 5 employees >:3

Squid

Squid said:

YO CHECK OUT MY MEGA AWESOME RAP SKILLS, BRO

This game, it looks so bad
It almost makes me sad,
When I see Professor and Wright,
to-ta-lly outta sight
And I really really hope then,
it comes outta Ja-pan
And if it does, I ain't gonna sit,
because all I wanna do is Untitled

Yasume

Yasume said:

Can't wait for this but I don't really like how the characters look. Maya still looks allright, but Phoenix..man what the hell did they do to his face.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

@1 You have no idea how good this game will be. Just because it contains two of your favorite game heroes doesnt automatically mean great gameplay and storytelling. It doesnt work for movies - who's to say it works well for games.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Yasume: his face looks fine to me...? Phoenix Wright has always had a bit of an odd face, though, haha. you could be thinking it looks bad just because his face is really in motion — and 3D — as opposed to being set in the same old 2D animated sprites we've come to know and love :3

@Geonjaha: true, there's no guarantee this game will be everything we're hoping it'll be. however, it's bound to be chock-full of fanservice for both sides, i'd imagine. this is a day-one purchase for me when it hits and it had better hit or so help me i'll lead the riot myself :3

Yasume

Yasume said:

@tbd: Yeah, that's probably it, but idk 1:25 just freaks me out xD Might need some time to get used to it when it comes out here. If it'll come out here (dammit Capcom, confirm it already!).

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

I refuse to view anything about this game until it's confirmed for a western release. I don't want to get worked up over nothing.

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

Something about Layton and Phoenix being in the same game feels... wrong. Just doesn't seem to click for me. Besides that, though, the game is looking good.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Level 5 really have nailed and is nailing the cell shaded style better than anyone else at this time

D33G

D33G said:

I'm a fan of both series, so if this game comes out, I'll b gettin it.

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Never played Ace Attorney, but have enjoyed Layton. Looks very interesting...

WertyYertrew

WertyYertrew said:

Looks like the aesthetics will be more Layton-style and the gameplay will be Phoenix-style....

I guess that would be the only plausible way one could do this.

bahooney

bahooney said:

I really loved the music for this, it was beautiful! This is an absolute pick-up when it comes out.

Smashbro99

Smashbro99 said:

It's basically two f the most popular 3rd party titles on the DS having a crossover. How can this possibly not succeed? I'm going to buy 15 copies anyway!

ueI

ueI said:

Looking good. Of course, I couldn't read any of the dialogue.

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

do want......Do Want........DO WANT!!! Come on Capcom, you may have given up on us for Edgeworth 2 but you better not do the same with this!

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

Why do people keep calling Layton a 3rd party series? Anyway looks awesome. I've never played Layton, but the Ace Attorney games are awesome.

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

Come on! Outside Japan release, oh please. Pretty good at the language tho, but if this game has that famous riddling and pantering of Phoenix Wright games it would be a hassle.

I still remember when I first read the news about this game, I immediately called my friend who told the people in the room and I heard a "WOW" through the phone :D other friend I called just said "yeah, I know, I'm reading about it atm"

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@TheDarkness - Because Level-5 are a 3rd party developer. Though I do think (IMO) that the Professor Layton series will most likely stick with Nintendo - simply because that's what people expect.

That being said...Holy balls I can't wait for this game! One of the big reasons why I love Phoenix Wright and Layton is because the games require brainpower and deduction over a thirst for violence. They're like the videogame versions of Doctor Who!

misterpale

misterpale said:

big fan of phoenix wright and layton, both of them in one game is the best thing they ever thought of!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

I've never played any of those franchises, but judging from all the hype this is getting, I'm guessing they're good.

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

Eureka! Ohhhh it's so f amazing, i hope Prof. Laytons vs Phoenix Wright will come to Europe i love both series.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I might become a fan of one of these series, or of both. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

....Did anyone noticed that the plaintiff was in a sort of iron maiden...?

Anyway I'm still wondering how the game combines both the elements of Prof. Layton and Ace Attorneys? We saw a sample trial but that was pretty much it..

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

ive played the layton games.but what do you do on the capcom games how do they play out.is it all in a court room or?

Late

Late said:

Can't wait for this! It looks so awesome! It seems that they're making courts from Phoenix Wright and puzzles from Layton (at least there's part where he points his finger and I'm assuming that the text says Correct!) and putting them in one game. I want to prove Layton wrong in Court with Phoenix Wright when Layton can't solve a puzzle to defend himself xD

@daznsaz: There's more than just the court room. You have to explore different places, talk to people, find evidence and so on.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

While this doesn't answer many questions except for the art style it's still so promising to have interactions between all these great characters. :)

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

@40: Exactly, do we get two games for the price of one or we are seeing new elements?

BTW, i loved the "strong but misterious game" impression this trailer leaved on me.