New 3DS eShop Puzzler from Fire Emblem Team Revealed

Posted by James Newton

It's cute and has blocks in it

Intelligent Systems is best known for its work on tactical games: the Fire Emblem and Advance Wars series have both emerged from the talented team over the years, but the studio has just unveiled its new franchise, a downloadable 3DS game called Hiku-Osu.

As you'd expect from Intelligent Systems, it's not a simple case of matching falling blocks. In Hiku-Osu — or "push pull" — you have to pull blocks from the background, arranging them in such a way to allow your hero Maro to jump to the end-of-level flag. It's part platformer, part puzzler, but its use of depth should be interesting to see on the 3DS screen. The official Hiku-Osu site has gameplay videos that make things a little clearer.

The game includes 250 stages as well as a level designer, which should help the game prove its value. It's out in Japan on 5th October for 700 Yen.

[via andriasang.com]

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Sounds like an interesting game dynamic. Kind of like Mighty Switch Force but in a more strict puzzle environment.

Samholy

Samholy said:

very interesting concept. too bad the main caracter looks so ugly.really ugly, so ugly i would be a bit embarassed if someone looks at me playing this game in the bus.

i still consider getting it but... why this dude ? why ? it would sell much more with a better design !
anyway...

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

looks really good, im definitely gonna give it a shot if/when we get it here

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

Hmm...A red hero named Maro with blue pants who has to jump over obstacles to get to the ending flag...Have I heard this before? XD

Late

Late said:

Looks pretty weird game but I like puzzle games so I might get it :)

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Cool :) I want it already. Please forward this message to Nintendo, release in Europe please :)

Objection

Objection said:

The gameplay reminds me of Catherine, which is a good thing. Hope it turns out well.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

This looks really great! and with 250 levels plus a level editor it seems to have a substantial amount of meat on its bones. One of my favorite franchises of all time (Paper Mario) comes from these people so I'll definitely be buying this if/when it hits the US....and it BETTER hit the US!!!

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

This game reminds me of Picobit on DSiware.
And this one looks like its going to be just as fun.

Squid

Squid said:

Looks pretty fun, and well worth the money (700 yen is about $7). I hope this gets a North American release! :D

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

this looks AWESOME, def a must have! if only the mc was the old man in purple on the website. he looks awesome!

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

I really like the look of this. There were times when watching the trailer that I thought. "This is for 3DS Ware? No, it couldn't be." :D

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

@3: IS only programmed the game. Nintendo R&D1 designed the game itself.

But this game looks great. Hope it comes to America.

pikku

pikku said:

Wow, this looks really really good! I hpe it comes here. Though,it does look like it'll be a tad on the easy side.....I wonder if it'll have online level sharing.

and of course, obligatory "how much USD is 700 yen" question. D:

Henmii

Henmii said:

It takes some time before it gets clear (around the 1:24 mark), but I must say it looks interesting! I keep an eye on it!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Yeah, the first part of the trailer is really strange and random.
But after that it looks great. If it comes to Europe it's as good as bought.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

I'll buy it and support them even i it's only because they make my two favorite games, F.E. and Adv. Wars. However it does look interesting, a bit like Tetris Axis 'Climber' mode. would be even better as a VR on table through camera.