Monster Hunter 4 to Burn Up Your 3DS

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Even more monsters to hunt

We've just received word from the 3DS conference that there's a brand new Monster Hunter game headed to the 3DS. No, not just the already-confirmed Monter Hunter 3 G. Monster Hunter 4 is on its way as well.

It's great to see not one but two games from this popular franchise headed to the potent portable.

We'll have more details as they become available.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Nintex

Nintex said:

the video for monster hunter 4 was absolutely astonishing! i want now!!!

millarrp

millarrp said:

too bad this is another series that I just couldn't get into. Oh well, here's hoping the these are just the beginning of more great games to come

millarrp

millarrp said:

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

That's just CRAAAZY. Nintendo should be really thankful for this. That's gonna help the system A LOT in Japan.

And it actually looks like a huge improvement over 3. The footage they showed was really exciting, even for someone like me who's not even a Monster Hunter fan. Looked really great!

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Ya hear that? that's the sound of Sony crying in Japan"

Lol! But seriously: Japanese 3DS sales will go through the roof!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@MetroidMasher17
It depends on your game taste. I don't like it but it's one of the biggest games in Japan along with Dragon Quest and is VERY popular. But it's hard determine if you like it or not by footage. It's more of a play and find out experience IMO.

LittleKing

LittleKing said:

@irken004
From the video shown at the conference, it looks like Monster Hunter 4 will be very different from 3G. Plus, each gen has its own unique exclusive monsters too. Seriously, in the MH4 video the guy fled across a huge area (much larger than previous MHs' 'areas') from a tigrex, then fled a rathalos, and then jumped on top of the rathalos and started stabbing it. It seemed nothing like MH's current battle system, although I am sure that the video shown will only be a portion of the game along with the regular battle system.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I hate Monster Hunter. Another franchise i just can't get into, the thought of wasting trinons of time and time that i just don't have on this franchise is a giant massive naddah in my books.

The moment i saw the opening angelic underwater footage, i thought....Oh god this looks awesome, what could this be!? And then it shifts to some medieval dude on a horse with a big sword. Right there and then. MONSTER HUNTER sprung to mind. :p

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@WaveBoy That's great you don't like it, but those of us who like the challenge of hunting down huge monsters with friends online for countless hours, this is a great announcement.
I wish more Americans would get into Monster HUnter, it's a great game once you dive into it.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Usually when people think of MH they don't think of people riding around on horses...

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

When I saw the stream of it, all I could think of was "This looks like Monster Hunter, but not 3..." then it turned out it's 4. Can you believe this is a true story?! lol
But seriously, MH4 looks interesting, and hopefully there is some good online support for it. Also, where's that second circle pad?

Bloodysaber

Bloodysaber said:

@36
What alleged video? It was shown off in the conference. Like half the show was devoted to showing of Monster Hunter tri-G and 4.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@XCWarrior

Oh i know it looks absolutely awesome for what it is, I'm just saying it's not my cup of tea that's all. Pretty impressive looking stuff. Maybe I should give it a chance...Then again....The amount of time being invested and this and that. BLARGHGHGHGH! :p

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I still don't get why they couldn't just let Capcom make Monster Hunter 4 for Wii U instead. Let each console had their own Monster Hunter, spin-off for handheld and main game for console. Releasing MH4 for 3DS is gonna break that trend.

erv

erv said:

If this will be on vita too, the vita is what I'll get.

The list of games on that thing is already growing to be quite the most of fun, so if that console is well executed, that is where my money goes instead of the fun but silly executed 3ds.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Wow, MH4 looks more like Shadow of the Colossus than Monster Hunter... Then again, I preferred Shadow of the Colossus to Tri, so maybe it'll be a good thing.

art_kevinc

art_kevinc said:

Its great to hear 2 Monster Hunter titles coming to 3DS. I just hope there's a way around the 2nd analog add on. Hopefully they will play well without it.

NSBlueLighing

NSBlueLighing said:

I like my monsters in HD and with more stuff on a disc...WiiU please. 3DS im not sold on played on friends 3D isnt in the stage where stuff pops out more than 2cm so i'll wait till the WiiU version comes out.

timp29

timp29 said:

Footage looks goooood. Also makes me wish I had experienced Shadow of the Collosus

JayArr

JayArr said:

This announcement should improve the chances of 3G making it state-side. It could help develop/test the waters of the market.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

Wow. I couldn't believe it when i saw it in the conference this morning. This new announcement before Tri G is even released. :o
Will be interesting to see if this one comes to other home and portable platforms as well. Which doesn't mean it won't boost 3DS sales significantly because if it releases on it first it could well be the to-get-version for many Japanese people at least. And hopefully this one will make its way to the west as well.

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

Looks awesome. Maybe I should get into it. Dunno if I should buy the Wii one or get a 3DS version...

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

This is so unexpected. I'm thinking MH3G won't make it here especially when Gatchaman is in it. And online modes will probably be reserved for MH4.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

This is really great news! However i dont believe ive seen online support yet. If im mistaken please let me know. Also needs voice chat as well.

Bigdog

Bigdog said:

No matter whether I like Monster Hunter or not (I do), this is incredible news for anyone that enjoys the 3DS. The 3DS has just been guaranteed to win out Japan, at the very least giving solid ground for publishers looking forward through 2012.

That lineup for the 3DS is absolutely stacked through 2012. This is really smart for Nintendo, and will allow them to properly focus on the WiiU toward the middle to end of 2012.

RoryLee

RoryLee said:

Dam! There goes about 4 months of my life. It's nice to finally get some 3rd party support for Nintendo. And Capcom has been doing really good in the 3DS department.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Man Gameover Man Gameover. INSTA BUY sharpen up your blades and load up on that ammo SOON it'll be time to HUNT IN 3D. Always Love CAPCOM as well.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I'm going to guess 3G stays Japan-exclusive whilst 4 goes global.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Wow... I doubt BOTH will come, but if at least 4 comes, and hopefully by that time Nintendo redesigns the 3DS, then I'm game.

1080ike

1080ike said:

This is a new system-seller. I can see just how empty my wallet will be for the next year or so.

edhe

edhe said:

What a quandary. I want a Monster Hunter Game on the 3DS, but I don't want to have to feed my analogue add-on hundreds of AAA batteries to enjoy it to it's fullest, and for the many hours I'll be playing it for.

I can see myself upgrading to the "3DSi" eventually (if Nintendo decide to release one...)

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Nah!! I'll wait for the enhanced VITA version thanks.................:P
not really ,I don't even like monster hunter! , though I may give it another try just to see the wowee 3D visuals.
Great news for all the MH fans though, this will definitely be a system seller fo' sure.

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Dual analog is WAY overrated. I'm sure this one will use the touch screen in a monster-rearing Sim! Think of the possibilities!