Kid Icarus: Uprising Suffers Worldwide Delay

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Pit's wings clipped until 2012

Kid Icarus: Uprising had already got pushed back to 2012 in Europe but looked to be on course for a Japan and North America release this holiday season. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

During today's 3DS Conference in Japan, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata announced that the game has been pushed back in all territories as the game needs more time in development.

We can't say we're too shocked — the writing seemed to be on the wall as the company's other holiday guns were given dates and Kid Icarus was left TBA — but so it goes.

[via nintendo.co.jp, andriasang.com]

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Oh well. I have plenty of other games I want that's coming out this year anyways. Think I can wait a little bit longer.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I'm okay with that. With Mario 3D Land, Kart 7 and Skyward Sword coming this Christmas, my gaming card is gonna be full. Wouldn't want Pit's return to get lost in the shuffle. Also I think more development time is a good thing; I've heard very mixed things from those who have played the demo, especially concerning the controls.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

THE game I most want right now. Oh well. Waited decades for a new Kid Icarus. Guess I can wait a few more months...

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Well, this actually helps me in sorts, as my holiday is already booked.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Not suprising. Besides we got Super Mario 3D Land & Mario Kart 7 hitting this holiday. As for Uprising....God did the trailer look gorgeous, that water looked amazing. :D :p

Link79

Link79 said:

More development time means better game so this is probably for the best.
As long as they don't pull a Capcom and cancel it at the last minute. :(

Henmii

Henmii said:

What do you guys think? Will it really arrive Q1 worldwide (where it will tremendously fail). Or are they really giving the game extra development-time, releasing it at a better time (a time for better sales, I mean)?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Wow, and this was the big game they initially showed for the system. Not good. :D

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

It seems that anything related to the 3DS is almost always delayed nowadays. Why? Because no matter what anyone said, the fact remains that the 3DS itself was launched prematurely.

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

Sure, it sucks that we won't be able to play it until next year, but really, it was not unexpected. And truth be told, the game getting delayed is more of a blessing in disguise, it gives us one less game to worry about this year, especially for those with multiple systems. And I don't think I need to insert a certain quote made by Miyamoto when Brawl got delayed to show those that say otherwise that waiting for a good game pays off, over getting a bad game in time for Christmas, we've all learned this the hard way with games like E.T. and Sonic 06.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

man, I remember when this was expected to be a launch game. So now its expected about a year after launch, if not later.

timp29

timp29 said:

Its better that they get it right and the early impressions sound like control scheme for the ground based action needed work

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Considering Professor Layton, Sonic Generations, Kirby Mass Attack, Super Mario 3D Land, Halo CE Anniversary, Kirby Wii and Mario Kart 7 are all coming out around this time, I'm somewhat glad this has been pushed back. Gives my bank a chance to recover. :D

moosa

moosa said:

@17 I wouldn't say it's not good. Getting it right is a lot better than getting it early. And yet it's still early in the console's overall life. I was definitely excited about this game since they announced it but I didn't want them to mess it up either. This delay again renews my hope that they're doing what's necessary to make this a great game.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I'm obviously disappointed, but if it's to make the game even better than I can go along with that. The worst thing you could do is rush a game and it becomes not like it could've been. After all, knowing Sakurai and Smash Bros, delays are likely anyway. In the meantime, we've still got Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, so those are definitely coming sooner. Until then, Pit will keep us waiting until March at most.

Birdman

Birdman said:

If this is the worst news to come out of the conference, I'm fine with it.

WertyYertrew

WertyYertrew said:

Kid Icarus just found itself on my post-Christmas wish list.

Unfortunately, this news also means that it'll take even longer for work on Super Smash Bros. 3DS to begin....

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@Henmii How is Q1 not a good time to release it? Its not like Q1 has as many big releases as Q4. It shouldn't have that much competition.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Don't mind, can't wait for this one. But I rather wait some more than having something rushed. Besides, way too many games come out this year.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Not surprised, I can't see the big N having Star Fox 64 3D AND SM3DL AND MK7 AND Luigi's Mansion AND the larger than life re-debut of Kid Icarus in one holiday season. I just wish Nintendo just said that from the get go instead of leading folks on. It's cool, it's not like most of us won't be playing other stuff as there's ALOT to choose from in the meantime.

MinishMaster

MinishMaster said:

well, I'm not happy, but i definitely don't want the game to be rushed...all I'm saying is that this game better be amazing.

Punny

Punny said:

LAME! At least the game will be perfected once it launches next year...

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

While this was the game I was most excited about for the 3DS, I'm not to plussed about this announcement. More time to polish is rarely a bad thing, and I'll be content with Super Mario Land 3D, Skyward Sword, and Mario Kart for the holidays.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

With the recent revealing of Dark Pit, I can understand how they wanted more time to work out the story. If they can polish up the ground gameplay that players seemed to be a little put off by, then this game will be a true gem.

Knux

Knux said:

Sorry to keep you waiting!

Biggest understatement of this year.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

Should be sued. What if an 80 year old wanted to play it and bought the 3ds thinking it was just around the corner. then .. 2012? what if that 80 year old dude, dies? he bought a 3ds for nothin..

Henmii

Henmii said:

"How is Q1 not a good time to release it? Its not like Q1 has as many big releases as Q4. It shouldn't have that much competition"

Q1 is bad because at that time people's wallets are empty. Kirby's epic yarn also failed sales wise in Europe, though that also had to do with the very artistic art-direction!

"Sorry to keep you waiting!

Biggest understatement of this year"

When it finally arrives Pit probably says: Remember me?

koops330

koops330 said:

part of me thinks they delayed it to make it compatible with the analog add-on