Here's How Super Mario 3D Land's Gyroscope Controls Work

Posted by James Newton

Pay attention

The inclusion of gyroscope motion controls in Super Mario 3D Land raised some eyebrows, but until now we didn't really know what form they'd take. Now the game's Japanese website has been updated with some fresh details.

During certain levels, Mario will find a set of mounted binoculars: step up to them and he'll peer through them to let you have a look around the level using your 3DS console's built-in gyroscope. L and R will let you zoom in and out too, letting you get a better feel for the terrain ahead.

We'll be getting lengthy hands-on time with a new version of Super Mario 3D Land this week, so stay tuned for our upcoming preview.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

jgary1

jgary1 said:

Use the motion controls, lose the 3D sweet spot. Nah, thanks. Circle pad for me.

Muzer

Muzer said:

Yeah - I find it completely ridiculous that they even included motion controls - it just tempts game developers too much to include gimmicky mandatory motion control that ruins the 3D effect.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

WOW! This sounds almost as exciting as first person view in Super Mario 64!

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

I still don't like the fact that we're being limited by time. 3D worlds (and this time around, 3D worlds looking in 3D) are meant for exploration IMHO.

Also, i hope that motion controllers are optional: On my sitting room i can flail with wiimotes all i want or it's needed, but i don't think so when on a bus.

winter123

winter123 said:

I don't like the fact that you can't move the camera! It's 3D so I want to be able to look wherever I want. I understand it's trying to bring in new users by always having the camera facing in one direction, but honestly if you don't understand 3D, the 3DS is not the system for you!!

Also, I hate when the camera randomly switches positions when I'm in the middle of running. Both mario galaxies did it a lot, and this one looks to do so as well.

winter123

winter123 said:

Sorry that this has nothing to do with the binocular thing. Honestly it just seems like an excuse not to have first person view wherever you want.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Ok I am wondering if I plan to play this game in 2D should I just skip this one? I really would like to get this game but if it relies on the 3D to much I might have to pass over it. And before any of you ask the 3D effects really bother my eyes so I play the games with the 3D off.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I agree with @winter123 that it seems like an excuse not to have first-person view whenever you want but didn't the September Nintendo conference trailer show a canon that could be aimed with gyro controls?

JumpmanZ

JumpmanZ said:

It looks like that's the Super Guide for this game. I think I saw the logo on the side of the binoculars. You might see a little Luigi or someone running through the level properly as you look around in 3D.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Cannot wait for this preview. Also, those gyroscopic controls look intriguing.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

@Tasuki

Miyamoto said that he plans on making the 3D matter, while not making 2D players feel left out. The game will be enjoyable in 2D as much as 3D.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I wondered what those binoculars would be for, so I'm not surprised to see what they actually do. This is nothing to fuss over, though. I personally think this will be one of the best Mario games yet!

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I found this info out somewhere else a couple weeks ago. I think it's a neat feature. Also the article I read said something about finding Toad hidden in the level and if you do, he'll drop an extra star coin in the level or something like that if I recall correctly.

Denkou

Denkou said:

Oh thank GOD. I was worried that it was going to be a control scheme and ninty would have to modify the game to make it playable with the gyroscope controls. The gyroscope has been nothing but miserable for the 3ds. It completely ruined monkey ball 3d. Way to easy.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

So, I guess people whining about the gyroscope have never played Ocarina of Time 3D? Aiming with the gyroscope was amazing in that game.

Denkou

Denkou said:

@ Teh-Ray
Admittedly, OOT3D was a slight exception, but I still found the gyroscope inaccurate for shooting. It was fast and allowed you to get in the general area quickly, but it was NOT precise in any way.

Thwiidscube

Thwiidscube said:

Cool! I saw that screenshot with the binoculars before, but I was wondering what they did. Now I know! :)

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

@smashbrawler331
Really? I found it much more accurate than using the circle pad, with the only hindrance being a shaky hand, which isn't something to blame on the game.

Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

pntjr

pntjr said:

I think i'll pass on this one and get Sonic Generations. I still need to beat SM64DS lol...

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

To be honest, that's a feature that seems a bit pointless... Definitely not worth making a fuss about in my opinion!

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Nothing special, but I like it. They're clearly aware of the limitations of 3D and Gyro at the same time.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I like it. The gyro is pretty cool to use in OOT 3D and works really well. Only problem is that it messes up the 3D effect. So I always have to choose.

And I will be playing in 3D rather than using the gyro tbh. But a nice touch either way, the cannons should use this feature too.

Ludwig

Ludwig said:

I wish they would cut that crap out, that's why i think about not buying zelda. This may be really rad if you are 10, but a full grown man waving a toy around in the tube train just isn't.

sgotsch

sgotsch said:

You are not supposed to tilt the system. Dont use your wrists to move it, move it with your complete arms / shoulders. Works perfectly with 3D. Tilting is stupid with every handheld...^^

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

@Ludwig
I somewhat agree. But yet I see full grown men playing Iphone games with gyroscope functionality on the tube quite a lot. I guess it's getting more 'acceptable' to do it this day and age.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

@Ludwig
You don't actually wave the system around, you move it gently to aim. Besides, it's just an option in Zelda, and you really don't have to tilt it very far to get a good effect. Odds are it's going to be like that in this game as well.

Emborges

Emborges said:

@winter12 It has nothing to do with an excuse, it shouldn't be there.
This game was created to draw the attention of those who don't like Mario in 3D and miss the classic gameplay, but at the same time to please those who love Mario in 3D. The purpose of the game is to mix the 2D and 3D dynamics.

You're able to play with Mario in a 3D environment and enjoy the feeling of the old Mario games. Time limit is back, the Tanuki suit is back, this is like a retro Mario in 3D.

The gyroscopic control is a nice idea, I think they're aware of the limitations but they really want you to spin around with the 3DS, if you watch any japanese gameplay or 3DS commercial you see what you're supposed to do:

/watch?v=74sH1XmpVXs
/watch?v=-D-oVeGVzb0 (Steel Diver Japanese commercial, pay attention to this one)
(Yet we're not Japanese and we don't like to spin around with the 3DS, so it looks like a limitation for us xDD)

Jono97

Jono97 said:

I sort of figured that this would appear in this game. Simmilar to face raiders. Its like the 3ds is a window to another world.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I still like that they’re going to implement the time limit and the “Little Mario” mechanics for a change. The binoculars seem to offer a nice exploration part and should be great for enjoying the 3D effect.
Like many others I hope that the cannons can be controlled that way too and that the gyro controls are only optional so that you can just use the circle pad as well.

@JumpmanZ (18.): Nice and funny idea. As long as there’s a no-Luigi version too. :D

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Meh, I still prefer using the circle pad...

Still, gyro is cool when in 2D mode.

JimLad

JimLad said:

A little off-topic, but I wonder if this is the kind of thing they have planned for the Wii U...

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I'll be using the circle pad for this one. Cannot wait for this game, Xmas can't come soon enough.

misterpale

misterpale said:

I have been an avid Mario game fan and cannot wait to experience a whole new Mario Land!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Very nice effects. I love the idea of having the binocular viewers, and hopefully they don't cost coins like the real ones on the observation decks of skyscrapers. It would be a nice token of fan service it they'd let us take 3D snapshots and save them to the SD cards as MPOs.

Undoubtedly they'll probably also add in some kind of wonky tilt control / touchpad minigame like the ball-roll, manta-surfing, or bird glide mechanics from the Galaxy games, but only use it in a couple of levels.