After 25 Years, The NES Gets A New Magazine

Posted by James Newton

Oh happy day

The humble Nintendo Entertainment System: responsible for bringing so many to sip from the cup of gaming, and now enjoying yet another lease of life via the recent 3DS Ambassador games. As with all Nintendo consoles it has a dedicated following online, but it could soon have a bigger presence in the print world as website NES-Bit.com plans to release a bona fide magazine.

The NES-Bit Magazine System, as it will be known, will feature brand new articles and reviews covering the NES, Game Boy and Game Boy Advance SP, and will be available to purchase online as a PDF or a real life mag.

Proof that there's life in the old dog yet.

[via nes-bit.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

The amount of time I still spend playing all those NES classics sometimes scares me.

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

A cool idea, but from a personal nostalgia point of view, I'd like to see the same idea applied to SNES and N64 :D

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Nice! I'd be down for this, and some SNES retro lovin'. As for the N64....I think I'll pass.

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

As cool as that looks (and as much as I really want it), I already get Nintndo Power, so I don't think it would make sense to buy another magazine about Nintendo games.

But now, this whole discussion has made me think, "Why do I need Nintendo Power? I already go to Nintendo Life 2+ times a day." :P

timp29

timp29 said:

Since no new NES games are being made, surely this publication has a very limited life span.

James

James said:

I think this is just a one-off magazine, not a monthly publication :)

Samholy

Samholy said:

im curious. i might check it out. as a pdf form.
still playing randomly my ambassador titles, and i surprised myself to be playing zelda 1 twice...
8bit is not dead! as long as the nostalgic people like me are alive.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Ooh, this is really cool for collectors like me. I hope it has stuff like a price guide along with all the other material.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

You know what the worst thing about recent nintendo power magazines is? Let's forget about the fact that they diteched Nester, but the biggest beef i have with NP as of late are the Gamecube-Gen 15 year old baby reader mail. It's always, I'll never forget when i opened up my very first system on Christmas morning....The gamecube! Sigh*

Nes and SNES-talk from reader mail seems to be a bodacious rarity, it's always Gamecube & GBA talk as far as being retro goes...lol Retro my !

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

I'd buy a Nintendo Life magazine, especially if it was written by the same people.

Graph

Graph said:

I don't see the point of this magazine. If it's a one time thing, then it's a cool idea. But beyond that ... I don't get it. Maybe it's just me lol

Ren

Ren said:

neat! I think theres at least enough content for a good quarterly. there is so much stuff out there now from 8-bit fans and retro geeks. Modern takes on classic nes games in reviews would be nice. There are some great nes gems that deserve a re-hashing (ones that aren't the obvious marios/metroids, etc).

Spoony

Spoony said:

@James I would buy a NintendoLife magazine. I am a subscriber to Nintendo Power here in the States, but would switch teams in a heart beat. I have thought for a while that Nintendo Power's lack of a decent website has hindered them. If NintendoLife put out a mag, I think it would do quite well. But that's my take. (Also, if it ever happened, it would be awesome if the mag would harken back to the good old days of early video game magazines when there were hints, tricks, cheats and all that great stuff. Ooh ooh, and magazine only competitions. Oh man, you guys would be the coolest.)

Please.

Ryno

Ryno said:

How much I would love a monthly, make that a weekly, magazine based on the NES and SNES! I just flipped through a current issue of Nintendo Power yesterday and the only thing I really cared about in it was the review of Strider for the NES which was cool but the aritcle itself was pretty uninspired.

Spoony

Spoony said:

Also, based on the content on the website alone, you could easily be the number one Nintendo magazine...in the F'in world.

Lorfarius

Lorfarius said:

I'm one of the guys behind this mag and also the chap behind NES-Bit. Just like to say thank you to NintendoLife for mentioning the mag, real great to have some coverage. For the moment the first issue is testing the water to see if it will take off so the more people who pick up a copy, the more chance of an issue 2 :)
Really proud to have been involved with this, we have had some excellent writers on board (all volunteers) and I'm sure there will be something for everyone to enjoy.
The mag is based on the site itself so I'm afraid it's NES only, so no SNES, N64 etc I'm afraid guys.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@waveboy
Are you mad at Nintendo Power or mad at time itself for making you old. lol. Retro to me is Pong, Atari 2600, Apple ][ (programming games in BASIC) and Commodore 64, Wizardy, Ultima I, II, III, IV and V, arcade games like Space Invaders, Centipede, Joust. Nintendo and the NES was the new wave.

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

While this is cool an' all I don't get why people still buy magazines when all that info and more is available at the click of a mouse and for free!!
Don't get me wrong I loved my gaming mags as a kid ,MEAN MACHINES being my favourite but I haven't bought a gaming mag (or any other magazine for that matter) in years :D.
Still Kudos to the guys that did this.Looks very professional and it sounds from the comments that there is still a market for these types of things so good luck to em'.

Ryno

Ryno said:

@Luigi I would buy a retro mag like this because I feel that anyone who would actually go through with it would care enough about retro games to present them in a way I would appreciate and enjoy as opposed to any shmuck with an Internet connection who can save state his way through an emulated copy of a classic then write a totally boring and lame review.

Noire

Noire said:

Okay so I get the NES and the Game Boy coverage, but ... the Advance SP? Am I missing something here? D:

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

@James / @fellow fans, educated graphic designer / comic artist here having this particular matter close to heart! willing to work for free for fan stuff, with a contract for business! :D
I've been brooding about comics and other cool stuff moving to internet's jungle, although this website is as close as I feel to having that magazine drop in your mailbox first wednesday of the month.

James

James said:

Happy to hear so many of you say you'd buy a Nintendo Life magazine! I've screengrabbed all your comments so when we start selling Nintendo Life magazine for $100 an issue I'll be contacting you all for your subscriber information.