Telltale Bringing Back to the Future Wii to Retail

Posted by James Newton

More games to follow

Way back last year we broke the news that Back to the Future would not make it to WiiWare, but Telltale has just announced an agreement with Nintendo of America that will see the series reach Wii after all.

Back to the Future: The Game will contain all the episodes available digitally on other platforms, and will see release on Wii in October for $19.99. It's the first in a series of releases from Telltale that will hopefully see upcoming dino romp Jurassic Park reach the console as well.

Are you pleased the series is finally coming to Wii or are you all DeLoreaned out after its appearances on PC and PS3?

Telltale Games Signs Publishing Licensor Agreement with Nintendo of America

‘Back to the Future: The Game’ Tabbed as Inaugural Game for Platform

SAN RAFAEL , CA. – August 24 2011– Telltale Games, the leading independent digital publisher and developer of episodic interactive entertainment, today announced it has signed an agreement to publish video games for the Wii™ home console from Nintendo. The company also announced that its best-selling game, Back to the Future: The Game, which has achieved more than one million downloaded episodes on PC, will be the first title under this agreement to be published in North America at retail this October for $19.99.

“Securing a publishing agreement with Nintendo of America ensures that we can make our popular content available on every major console platform. This signing is a significant milestone in our long-term growth strategy, “said Telltale co-founder and CEO, Dan Connors. Back to the Future: The Game is a great fit for the Wii platform and we’re excited to bring it to retail this holiday.”

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

I missed the final episode because I no longer have a computer capable of playing it. It's certainly tempting...

Ryno

Ryno said:

Why is this necessary when there is the completly amazing Back ot the Future for the NES by LJN? :P

DJ_Triforce

DJ_Triforce said:

I loved this series... although the game could have used some serious polish (on all platforms). As for seeing a physical release, if I hadn't already purchased it, I would be all over this idea. However, seeing as how I already own the digital format, I'll be happy letting this one pass me by. :)

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

Very Nice! I'd love it if StrongBad made it to retail. I only ever got around to buying the first episode but I really liked it.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Great Scott! This is awesome! I got a taster of episode 1 for free and had been planning on buying the others... but heck with it, I'm getting it for Wii! :)

@Ryno: There's no excuse for that joke. That is the gamers' "Company-That-Shal-Not-Be-Named." ;)

y2josh

y2josh said:

I've already bought these games twice. I'll probably now buy them a third time so I can have a physical copy and keep it in the plastic.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Cool! I've loved Sam & Max, Strong Bad, and Tales of Monkey Island so this will certainly be an instant buy for me. Thanks for bringing this over Telltale!

SMW

SMW said:

Awesome. After Sam & Max 1 and 2, I was hoping that they would continue the trend of releasing them all for retail. Now if only Wii could get some Jurassic Park or Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse...

Ryno

Ryno said:

@MasterGraveheart Haha.. Sorry, I could not resist especially after finding out Waveboy just picked it up! I will watch where I say the "Company-That-Shal-Not-Be-Named" from now on. :p

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

SWEET! I don't have a PS3 so I missed out on this game but it does look like good things come to those who wait :)

I'll be picking it up :)

wes008

wes008 said:

@SKTTR I doubt it given how poorly the first 2 seasons preformed on Wii, but I would buy it if it did (even though I already have bought and played Season 3 on my Mac :P)

wes008

wes008 said:

@SuperLink Like all of Telltale's other games, it's an episodic point-and-click adventure (think Heavy Rain with a mouse cursor). Telltale's Back to the Future puts a twist on the ending of the first movie: Instead of Doc coming back from the future in the end, he winds up trapped in the past and Marty needs to save him.

n0body

n0body said:

played a bit of the first episode- which I got free from TellTale - and liked it! If this is a good port I just might add it to my already jam-packed purchasing schedule for this Fall.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Good, nice to see this title getting a Wii release, the system this game works better on :)

Splat

Splat said:

It only took two posts for someone to say "great scott!" I'm proud. :)

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

As the owner of the world's largest collection of Jurassic Park VHS tapes (no, I'm not making that up), I DEMAND that they release Jurassic Park for Wii! Still, this is also pretty good news.

SteveW

SteveW said:

Not sure about this series... I may be wrong but the videos I saw of the PC version made the game look like 80% cut scenes and 20% playing...

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

@SteveW: That's what a point-and-click game is, dude. :D The best part about them is experiencing the story (that, and finding fun little hidden tidbits). If your point-and-click game has a terrible story, throw it out the window.

motang

motang said:

Freaking awesome, it also coming out on PSN, but I will opt in for the disc version on the Wii!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

In other news, Nintendo admits they have no idea how to sell WiiWare and therefore have to go back to disc.

This is basically a plus for those people who don't like digital copies of stuff.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Why in the #$@% is this not coming to 3DS too? Wii is dying and 3DS is rising. Anything Wii can do, 3DS can do better. I sincerely hope Telltale starts bringing these to 3DS and Vita.

stromboli

stromboli said:

@SilverBaretta - he's talking about cut-scenes, not a story. Cutscenes are not needed really. The greatest graphic adventure games of Sierra didn't have a lot of cutscenes, and in fact not even a whole lot of story in the beginning.

This compilation also went to the PS3. It has nothing to do with Wiiware "limitations". It's like the bit trip compilation, and it's good it came to the Wii.