Professor Layton's London Life Won't Make It to Europe

Posted by James Newton

Update: bonus game denied

Update: Nintendo of Europe has now backtracked on its original statement and told us that London Life isn't coming to Europe.

Original story follows:

Nintendo of America's Professor Layton and the Last Specter press release yesterday caused some concern for European DS owners as it seemed to imply that the title's bonus game Professor Layton's London Life wouldn't make it outside North America. Here's the original statement:

As a North American exclusive to the overall Professor Layton and the Last Specter package, a bonus role-playing game called Professor Layton’s London Life™ containing more than 100 hours of additional content will be available to players from the start of the game.

Has the lack of London Life from the European version changed your decision to purchase? Let us know.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

That's okay then. There was no way I was going to pay more for this game than Americans when it has "100 hours" less content than their version.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

My wife won't be pleased, Thanks a lot Nintendo. Hopefully going to New York next year and it will be availble, unless I can I get the U.S version though play-asia?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Thats good to know as I would've been so disappointed if it wasn't included, especially as I wouldn't be prepared to import it because Luke's voice acting is terrible in the American version. Sure, its not the best voice acting in the European version but its still better than the American version.

BigBluePanda

BigBluePanda said:

Why would they have cut it in the first place? Surely it would take a lot more effort and work to remove it.

steveex

steveex said:

Looks like we won't be getting it after all. ONM have updated saying we won't get it.

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

I suspect it's down to localisation costs. Which is rubbish. Why not include just the English language version since that already exists instead of making everyone miss out.

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

I can't be down to localization costs. That does not make sense considering Nintendo take a risk on Xenoblade, but not on a game that is pretty much guaranteed to sell.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

I foresee the mass rush to import the game now... well, from those of us online at least.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

I won't be getting this game now. Not unless they decide to include it after all. I'm not paying £35 for a load of puzzles with a story again.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

WHAT!?! We're not getting London life? :( I'll still get it at some point as I loved the first three but this is still very disappointing and as someone else said it can't be localisation costs as they've localised Xenoblade chronicles and they're going to localise The last story and Pandora's tower too. Also, they wouldn't have to start from scratch with the localisation like with those three jrpgs as it will be included in the American version so they could just use that version and then localise the parts of the game that need it. I guess we have got Xenoblade chronicles which America haven't and we'll get two more wii jrpgs that they won't but this is still annoying.

kingeo

kingeo said:

It's not the same to not get a game at all as the case with Xenoblade(which America may get it at the end) and to pay the same price for a game with 100 whole hours less content

-TR

-TR said:

I'll have to import it then. Sigh Conveience, out the window...

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

The problem is that it is Nintendo of EUROPE. There are costs involved in translating the game to several different languages - there would be an outcry in the media of several countries if Nintendo dared launching the game across Europe with only English language available!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@ThumperUK In Xenoblade chronicles there is the option to have subtitles in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish so if they can translate that game into all five languages then they should be able to for this.

shenstra

shenstra said:

I will be importing the full version of the game. This move has also reminded me of how backwards Nintendo of Europe is and I won't be buying a 3DS anytime soon. If they want my money, they need to make it region free, or bring European releases up to the same level (content- and time-wise) as the US.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

Well, that sucks. Too much text to translate? But there's no problem with a game like Xenoblade being localized into multiple languages.

At least the DS is region-free. ;)

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Assuming this game is not DSi-enhanced, in which case is not region free :O

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

It could be that there isn't enough room on the cartridge for all the languages.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Maybe it will come as dsiware.
Are we paying more for London Life than Europe. Because what is the point of calling it a "Bonus" if we are paying for it?
Maybe London Life isn't coming to Europe because London, England is apart of Europe.

kingeo

kingeo said:

The UK edition has only english or all the 5 languages?(french,italian,german,spanish)

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

I just submitted a comments form containing a pretty long letter regarding the lack of London Life, hopefully if we all point this out our comments will be heard! :)

SuperSpank

SuperSpank said:

Well, i was gonne import it from the UK, since the dutch voices are horrible, but now im gonne import it from NA.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

Ah. Well, it seems my detective instincts weren't wrong after all. No way am I buying the English version if it's the same price, I'll be importing. Lazy blighters.

I assume Hershel sounds like an American in the NA version?

_Joejoe_

_Joejoe_ said:

So, uh, basically, what your saying is that London won't be getting London Life?

I swear they did this for ironic purposes only.

Yasume

Yasume said:

I must be in the minority here, but I don't really care for that so called 100 hour long RPG so I'm still buying it. Besides, I would disappoint my sister if she weren't be able to play it in Dutch.

DrWadsy

DrWadsy said:

I'm importing the US version anyway (since I won't wait for the euro version to hit Australia) so this makes no difference to me. Really dumb decision though, well done NOE :(

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I should make a joke about "London Life not being available in the London area because they already experience it," but this news just flat-out sucks for Europe. :(

BenAV

BenAV said:

The DS is region free so big deal.
As long as one English version includes it, that's all that matters.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Hey, if I have to import Last Window since its not available here at all, people in the EU shouldn't mind importing this for its bonus game...actually I'm not spiteful, I mean its good there's an English version out there at all, and being region-free should make it easier, so those who are in English speaking countries shouldn't worry too much, especially when the price goes down. I am sorry about this becoming inconvenient for everyone though. Hopefully the situation will chance; a DSi download would be a good fix I guess.

BTW, not sure why the wording says its a NA exclusive, since it was in the original Japanese version.

And for the French speakers, since its coming to Canada too, it seems they can import it from there, though I'm not sure about sites like Amazon.ca having an international shipping policy.

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

Are you gonna take that, Europe? I think it's time for you guys to start Operation Londonfall! ...or just import the American version

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Hmm damn - looks like I'll get the US version! I've much preferred the cover art on the UK versions for the last 3 though :(

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

@nick_gc

what do you mean? different voice actor?

Luckily, the DS- unlike the 3DS- is completely region free. So this isn't a big problem. Like, at all. Its as simple as going to Amazon.com or Amazon.ca and ordering a copy...

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Will import the US version then and hope this doesn't happen to any content in coming Wii, Wii U and 3DS games.

@ecco6t9 (29.) & @kingeo (31.): I can only speak for the German versions but i guess it isn't different for the other 4 main Euro languages.
Iirc the first game only had subtitles in German whereas The Diabolical Box and The Unwound Future had complete German voice-overs and you couldn't change the language at all.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

I don't like professor Layton, but when I looked this up, I thought twice. THAT LOOKS FUN! Sorry Europeans. Teaches you for making fun of American Luke.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I agree with nick_gc, even if the US version has London life and the EU version doesn't, I'd rather not put up with Luke's terrible voice acting in the US version.

nick_gc

nick_gc said:

@gojiguy

Yes, for some reason unbeknownst to me and probably a lot of other people, Luke has a different voice actor where as Layton is the same. It's weird. And I really don't like the voice at of the US version at all.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I just knew it! What a bummer!!!

Take my country for example: Nintendo does only release it in dutch (Dutch voicework and Dutch text) since the second one, because Nintendo probably thinks Holland hates good quality voicework (the Dutch voicework is highly inferior) and that Holland can't read English. So for Holland there wasn't a chance for the bonus game to be included. Now it seems Europe as a whole doesn't get it!

I still think I'll pick it up, though it's really a pity that we Europeans have to do without the bonus game. Nice decision, Nintendo!