Nintendo Europe Offers New Way Into 3DS Ambassador Program

Posted by James Newton

Not a scheme

If you bought your 3DS before 11th August but were unable to register it in the eShop for whatever reason, you're probably all bummed out that you won't be able to claim your 20 free games starting on 1st September. If you're in Europe however there's light at the end of the tunnel, as Nintendo is offering you another way into the free download plan.

Anyone who created a Friend Code with their 3DS and connected it to the Internet — not necessarily the eShop — at least once before 12th August is eligible for the 20 free games. Even if you haven't connected your console online even once, if you've kept your proof of purchase showing the console was bought before 12th August, you can claim those games too.

Nintendo Europe will soon release an online tool that will allow you to verify your entry into the plan, or enter if you've not been online yet.

As for Nintendo of America, it has confirmed that anyone who updated their 3DS console is automatically registered as an Ambassador, with more information about the scheme due next week.

[via nintendo.co.uk]

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Single best tagline ever. Cheers, James.

Good news for all the noobs out there!

Savino

Savino said:

NoA has extended the deadline till august 19th for Brazil!!!! Saw it at mynintendonews. I will not linking it cause I am posting from my 3ds and u guys know how fun it is! ¬¬

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Here in America we think of scheme of something wario or waluigi would do. Up to something no good for sure! Although the topic header isn't ment for us. ;-)

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Awesome! Do this for NA as well, so people that didn't connect here get 20 free games as well. :)

SuperLink

SuperLink said:

I'm proud to be an ambassador, where at least the games are freeeee.
And I won't forget how much I triiiied to get those games fooor meee.
And I proudly hoook up, to the internet,
'Cause there ain't no dooooubt I want these gaaaames, God bless the 3DS!

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Scheme would be translated to "Schema" in Dutch which means "Schedule" in American English.

Weird kind of folk, those Americans. :p
(No offense intended)

GamerDude

GamerDude said:

Im in europe how do I know if im already an ambassador i HAVE connected to the e shop but theres nothing to say im an ambassador yet :P

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Problem: Someone can use a friend's receipt who bought the 3DS prior to Aug 12th and use their 3DS they bought with a reduced price...

Oops, I gave the schemers an idear

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Great SCHEME this!! Can't wait for my free games through this SCHEME.Its probably the best SCHEME I've ever had the pleasure to be involved in.

Sgt_Ludby

Sgt_Ludby said:

@21
Altough I don't have my original 3DS receipt on me, I'm not sure if that's possible. I needed to send my PS3 in for a repair last summer and they required a proof of purchase. My receipt from Gamestop had my system's serial number on it so that they could match the system to the receipt. Now again, this was for my PS3, but I wouldn't be surprised if all console receipts included the console's serial number.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@21: Don't think that will work. The serial number's on the receipt ;)

Dynetheous

Dynetheous said:

im american and i dont think scheme means something bad, some times we say scheme during play rehearsal: meaning we need a plan for the play. just use it in different context and it can mean different things

Mowzle2

Mowzle2 said:

I can't imagine ANYONE who purchased their 3DS before the required date will miss out on becoming an Ambassador, as Nintendo do seem to be bending over backwards to make sure this doesn't happen.
I was going to say miss out on the Scheme, but I won't :P

Schprocket

Schprocket said:

@JimmyWhale - I guess that if at some time you've been on th eShop or added a friend in the given time-frame, or you've been given the original purchase receipt for warranty purposes, then I wouldn't see it so much as 'beating the system' because that unit had been purchased within the qualifying period.
If you'd bought the 3DS from a second-hand store or pawn-brokers, those guys don't generally hand-over the original purchase receipts probably because most of the stuff they get is out of manufacturer's warranty anyway, so there might be a struggle even if you had a shop-receiipt with the 2nd-hand pricing on it.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

That doesn't help me at all though...I bought a 3DS on launch day, then it broke and I couldn't afford to replace it in time. Ergo, I am bolted right now. :|

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Anyone who created a Friend Code with their 3DS and connected it to the Internet — not necessarily the eShop — at least once before 12th August is eligible for the 20 free games. Even if you haven't connected your console online even once, if you've kept your proof of purchase showing the console was bought before 12th August, you can claim those games too"

Well, that's good news for the early adopters!

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

What's with all the 'scheme' controversy? I live in the U.S., and we never even say scheme.

... so, yeah, lucky Europeans.

carson

carson said:

so this is good? or bad?

i just wish nintendo would stop with all these schemes and mischief...

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

How do you connect to the internet without going on the eShop? I was starting to get worried when I purchased mine because I couldn't find the eShop on the main menu, then I realized I had to download the update. I went to a local coffee shop with free WiFi to download the update and get on the eShop. Needless to say I was very happy when I got the message confirming I was an ambassador.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I'm late to this article but thanks to Nintendo of Europe for making it possible for my sister to get in to the game this late on!
She purchased the system during summer, but didn't connect to the internet until now.