Nintendo Download: 25th August 2011 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Watched over by the Gargoyle

This week in the Nintendo Download there's something new available for almost every downloadable platform, with 3DSWare the only thing missing out. There's even a WiiWare demo, so without any further hesitation let's bring you the rundown.

3DS Virtual Console

Gargoyle's Quest (Game Boy, Capcom, $3.99) — Play as Firebrand (aka Red Arremer) and take on the creatures of the Ghoul Realm in this spin-off from the popular Ghosts 'n' Goblins series. We'll have a review very soon.

Wii Virtual Console

The Ignition Factor (Super NES, Jaleco, 800pts) — This top-down firefighting game may not be hot stuff, but it's got some quality going for it. If you're after something a bit different for the Super NES you could do a lot worse than read our The Ignition Factor review.

WiiWare Demos

Kyotokei (Microforum, full game: 500pts) — As close as you're ever going to get to Ikaruga on WiiWare, now you can try the side-scrolling shooter for free, then read our Kyotokei review for an evaluation of the full product.

DSiWare

Let's Create! Pottery (Infinite Dreams, 500pts) — Take your time throwing clay, glazing and firing it to create your own piece of pottery. We'll cast our expert's eye on it to see if it's a priceless antique or a worthless fake.

Magical Whip: Wizards of the Phantasmal Forest (Agetec, 200pts) — Battle dangerous dragons, ghosts and more using your magical whips to take them out in a game that shares a few similarities with Bubble Bobble. We'll see if it's magic or all just an illusion soon.

Calculator (Cinemax, 200pts) — A calculator with scientific functions rather than a straight-up scientific calculator, it'll be interesting to see if Cinemax has updated some of the issues encountered in the game's European form. Read our Calculator review to see what the score is.

Nintendo Video

Blue Man Group, Upgrade Your Life — "Ding Dong! It's the Upgrade Your Life Kit via special delivery for Blue Man Group! Hit the red button to change your world and upgrade to 3D with a flip of a switch!"

Santiago Caicedo, Moving Still — "To be a routine traveler. No surprises at the starting point, no surprises at the point of arrival. To feel the monotony of a recurring journey made too many times."

Anything for you this week?

Link79

Link79 said:

Gargoyles Quest! Been wanting to try that one.
I hope the Nes Sequel and Demon's Crest are more likely now.
There aren't many Wii VC games left rated for release.
They gotta give us something.

pntjr

pntjr said:

Blue Man Group? That'll be EPIC in 3D
Gargoyle's Quest, Meh.
WHERE ARE MAIH GAMEBOY COLOR GAMES?

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I think this is a good lineup and a Wii Ware demo that I want to try. The update still lacks Double Dragon though.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Gargoyle's quest will be MINE!! Now to load another 20 since I only have 2 something left. :-(

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Looks like a good weak for you guys. :)
Hope Magical Whip is good and that us Euros get the Kyotokei demo and these interesting videos as well.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I'd try the Kyotokei demo if Nintendo would ever send me a non-busted Wii back to my house. Going on two months now with getting nothing but a POS from them and they lost all my save data...

SteveW

SteveW said:

Ignition Factor is a great game but unfortunately (or fortunately?) I already have the cartridge...

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I think 'll give the pottery thing a try later today. My 3DS returns from repairs today. I'm very excite!!

EdEN

EdEN said:

Own part II and Demon's Crest but I never played the GB original. By the time I get my 3DS I will be able to just buy two $50 eShop Cards and no games and have a lot of fun for a several weeks.

Omega

Omega said:

@James: Gargoyle's Quest is a spin-off from the arcade game series Ghosts'n Goblins. The name of the series is not Ghouls'n Ghosts like written in the article. If you don't believe me, look at this Wikipedia article.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Gargoyle's Quest, best Game Boy game ever but I dont have a 3DS, to bad. The Ignition Factor, no there is a hot one, I ma sure that one will burn up the charts.

caityful

caityful said:

Gargoyle's Quest looks pretty interesting... however like all of the other VC games, it's ridiculously priced - $6.00AUD. Which is bizarre, considering the economic status puts the AUS Dollar ahead of the US Dollar, yet USA gets the same game for $3.99USD.
Le strange, Nintendo...

Dodger

Dodger said:

Not much this week. I'll hold out until September 1st for the NES games.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

In the eShop, if you go to the section "Nintendo eShop Coming Soon" you will see that next week we get Pac-Man, then Golf, then Catrap on VC. So I'm wondering, do we get 1 VC with the amabassador games every week?

Anyways, I'm still not too sure on Gargoyle. Might hold off until a review comes. I'm gonna stop buying the black and white gameboy games unless they are extremely good, or nostalgic.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Pizzacore
I don't think those coming soon games had an exact release date.
It just says TBD. (To be determined)
They hardly ever tell you ahead of time when VC games will be added.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

¿Only a SNES game? no wiiware and just a demo por wii?? The wii is dying.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I'm actually about as sick of making comments about the lack of titles for WSC as some of you are probably of seeing them, but I'm also sick of the lack of WSC releases itself.

At least I'll get to give Kyotokei a chance before deciding on a purchase.
Maybe The Ignition Factor is a decent title (though I have my doubts about any Jelaco title for SNES); I'll have to test drive that game using methods better left not said here.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

OOOOOOOOOoooooooooooh Gargoyle's Quest looks awesome! I'll wait for the review, but this seems to be a sure thing :O

It's so sad how ignorant I am regarding the Game Boy library; pretty much the only games I ever had for it were Super Mario Land 2 and the three Pokemon titles... gah! VC is a dream.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

And still no DSi SD card update. I want to get more DSiWare games but I hate having to switch games back and forth between the DSi's internal memory and my SD card :(

Come on Nintendo, give us a Wii style SD card update. Do you not want my money?

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Wow, I remember Gargoyle's Quest! That one is really fun. It takes some skill to avoid spikes and get the hearts and potions laying around. It is well worth $4.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I have been waiting for Gargoyle's Quest. I've never played it before but now I will finally be able to. Good update for me!:)

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Going home to download GQ right away. Anything related to Ghosts n Goblins is awesome in my view! :)

Tails

Tails said:

Nothing I see that interests me this week. NES Games get here soon! :D

Punny

Punny said:

It's nice to see a new WiiWare Demo. I also like the Blue Men Group, so it will be cool to see them perform in 3D. :)

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

For the past few hours, when I tried to reach the e-shop, I get an error code and it says "The e-shop is undergoing maintenance. Please try again later." Gee. Well, I would download Gargoyle's Quest, but... Why, on all days, would they want to have the e-shop down (on U.S. new download day) ?

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Decent week, I see a little catch up going on. I'm glad there's a Kyotokei demo as I haven't scooped the game up yet, so I'll be sure to grab this.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

I'm thrilled to play Gargoyles Quest.....The fact that I've missed out on this killer franchise has me pumped because i get to experience all 3 for the first time. Gorgoules Quest for the 3DS's GB, Gorgoyles Quest II for the Nes, and Demon's Crest for the SNES. :D

But I still feel like I need to play Donkey Kong, Mr. Game & Watch Collection and Avenging Spirit first. :p But eh, what does it matter...You gotta play things at your own pace, instead of trying to catch up with the crowd or play things in order by release.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that Aya and the Cubes of Light was supposed to come out today but got pushed back. Too bad, I was actually looking forward to that one.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Battle dangerous dragons, ghosts and more using your magical whips to take them out in a game that shares a few similarities with Bubble Bobble"

Sounds more like Castlevania to me!

Omega

Omega said:

^ Thanks for correcting it. This also applies to the article for the European downloads.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

The Kyotokei demo will soon be spending time on my Wii. Also interested with Magical Whip; although I'm not too keen on the anime art style, for 200 points it seems intriguing. :) Just hope its not as bad and boring as Anonymous Notes.

So for a 200 point title, I can either buy that fighting training game (Double Dragon was it?), Crazy Hamster, or Magical Whip... Hmmm... decisions decisions... :P