Nintendo 3DS eShop Cards Sneak Out in the UK

Posted by James Newton

Spotted at Sainsbury's

It's been a long and arduous path to this moment, but we can reveal that Nintendo eShop cards are finally making their way out to stores in the UK.

User BMagwood769 sent us this photo of a £15 Nintendo 3DS eShop card purchased in his local Sainsbury's supermarket.

We've contacted Nintendo for further information, but hopefully this is the start of the long-awaited roll-out of 3DS eShop cards to stores across the UK and Europe.

Update: We've also heard that the cards are available at ASDA stores in the UK.

Nintendo has responded saying that a full statement will be released soon.

Yosher

Yosher said:

About frickin' time. I've been wanting to get some stuff from the eShop for a good while.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

They should be colored Red, since the card seen in the picture looks very similar to Nintendo Points Cards here in America. Maybe it's different... Most likely.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

It's about time. I don't live in Europe, but I'm sure many people will be glad to finally buy some games.

BTW... I thought Nintendo was hurting for money? They should have had these 2 months ago.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

It's about time. Thankfully I'm using a prepaid credit card but it took way to long for the cards to be released.

MAddogz

MAddogz said:

yeah I picked up a 25€ card from gamestop Germany today and they are only selling 15€ and 25€ cards here

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Well, you all are lucky.. We only have $20 amounts with "special" cards like the New Super Mario Bros. 500 Nintendo Points that was sent to me from Best Buy once... Pretty cool..

Kifa

Kifa said:

I wonder if the amounts represented by each card color will be the same as those already available when using a credit card? It would be nice to see some "halves" here because I personally find 50, 100 and 150 PLN presets a little bit steep. Or maybe I'm just complaining... O.o

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

no they aren't in canada yet. I emailed nintendo support and they said "Thanks for contacting us about locating Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Cards.
As you know, these cards are not yet available in Canada. We currently have no information on when they will be released in your region*. I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you. In the meantime, you can still make purchases directly from the Nintendo 3DS eShop service using a credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
I’ve also documented your interest in purchasing the Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Cards in your local area. This information has been made available to the appropriate departments here at Nintendo for further review. "

GamerDude

GamerDude said:

Ive already got mine asda, thats right asda are already selling them, at least the one near me anyway.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

£15...wonder what happens if you try it on a Wii or DSi? On the former it should be 2000 and the latter closer to 1500...which probably means 1500 for both.

If it registers as 2000 on the DSi then the cheapest way to get DSiWare on a 3DS would be to use those cards then the system transfer tool?

YorkshireNed

YorkshireNed said:

it's just madness, why on earth didn't they roll these out sooner? it's not rocket science. Also, GET SOME ON STAR POINTS CATALOGUE!!!

Joko450

Joko450 said:

I live in Canada, and I was able to get these cards at my local gamestop in oshawa. Not the old ones, the 3DS ones.

Blaze

Blaze said:

Nice to see them finally released, had a card anyway though, so it's no big deal for me. :-)

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I couldn't find a card anywhere. So when I went to New York and bought one, even though I knew it was U.S. People only. So I changed my location so now I live in the taxless city of Nome Alaska, according to my 3DS.

cnm_nintendo

cnm_nintendo said:

DX So Europe's finally got eShop cards.. What about Australia!? Does this mean I can expect to find eShop cards here in Australia now that Europe finally has them?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Typical, they get released just as I get my Debit Card so I can put some store credit onto my account to download games. Well screw you Nintendo! >:/

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Finally the cards are getting somewhere. Waiting wasn't that bad, but after this long after the launch of the eShop. What a joke, Nintendo!

ZukutoBen

ZukutoBen said:

ffffffiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnaaaalllllllyyyyy(finally) Getting this next month u_u out of pocket money right now.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I've seen them at Gamestop in Germany already but no other stores. My guess is that the other stores like the old points cards more as they have no real value written on them so the store can overcharge for them.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Maybe it's a silly question but up untill now: How could Europeans download games on the 3DS without using creditcards?