NightSky Coming to 3DS eShop

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Long-awaited WiiWare release heads to 3DS

For those who don't know (or possibly forgot), NightSky was originally planned for release on Nintendo's WiiWare service. And while the game did recently see a release on PC, we haven't seen any new information on the WiiWare version for some time.

Thanks to a Tweet by @Nicalis this afternoon, we now know why we haven't heard much about the WiiWare release. It seems the company has been hard at work on a 3DS eShop version of the game.

NightSky plays really well on 3DS! - Nicalis (Twitter)

We don't know if the game is a direct port of the PC release or if it's a brand new game, but we'll get in touch with Nicalis and try to find out. We'll keep you posted on any new information we can get our hands on.

UPDATE: We now know that the game will not feature the 3D effect and will be basically the same game as was released on PC.

Aviator

Aviator said:

I played the PC game and it didn't really grab me. Might pick it on the eShop or I might pass.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I've played through the Mac version several times (and even the now-collector's item WiiWare version that will likely never see the light of day) and I love it! Can't wait to see it in 3D! :D

Shockwave

Shockwave said:

Don't know much about this game, but more games for the 3DS eShop isn't ever a bad thing.

MaikoRULES

MaikoRULES said:

I LOVE this game.
got it first day it released on steam and cant wait to play it on my 3DS.
anyone who likes platformers should get this game. its fun, creative, and great to look at

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

I was contemplating getting this on Steam a while back, having resigned to the unlikelihood of the WiiWare release ever happening. Glad I didn't act on that, because I'd much rather play the game on the 3DS. Excited.

Malouff

Malouff said:

Why scrap the WiiWare port?
It should have already been close to being finished.

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Hm...I'll have to keep an eye on this. Physics-based gameplay was never my favorite kind of thing ( Especially in platformers ), but hopefully this'll be something for me to enjoy whenever it comes out.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

COOL. I've been excited by this game when it was first announced, and was quite disappointed when the WiiWare version was shelved, or at least indefinitely delayed. Here's hoping it comes to the eShop before the holidays.

Samholy

Samholy said:

cave story was a masterpiece. ill try this one to see if they did another great job.
damn you 3ds, you gonna cost me a fortune !

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Might try this out on Steam and then decide whether to pick it up for my 3DS. Or just wait until it comes out.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I was seriously waiting for this for WiiWare. Sadly, I guess this does not bode well for other WiiWare games. I hope I'm wrong because it is a great service (ever since the SD card patch) that needs more PR.

I guess it would make more sense to play Night Sky on the 3DS with tilt controls.

NapalmHornet

NapalmHornet said:

I be picking this up. Just as well they went for 3DS rather than iOS as a freemium clone of the game released years ago and it was good as well.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

They used to have a free demo of the Windows version available on their website, but it looks like it's no longer there.
Anyway, I tried it and I didn't quite like it.

iphys

iphys said:

Cool! I will forgive them for leaving us hanging on the WiiWare version then . . . as long as they actually release this one.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

The point is that it looks decent and it's 3DS-Ware. So far The Rolling Western is the only other candidate to tick those boxes IMO.

accc

accc said:

Isn't it tilt-controlled? I don't think the 3D would work very well in that case.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Cool, but don't make us wait so long this time. The PC version has bn out for some time now. I'll follow them on twitter as well.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Awesome news! I bought NightSky the day it released and I've played through it multiple times. I love the fact that the difficulty modes drastically change the games dynamics and I hope that this new version offers up an even stiffer challenge. :)

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

This is one of my favorite games and it's awesome to see it on 3DS, though I imagine the 3D will just be for show.

littlebigplanet

littlebigplanet said:

I have no clue what it is, but it looks pretty nice. And it's by Nicalis, the masterminds behind Cave Story, so it'll probably be awesome.
3DS-ware has some pretty neat titles coming. I cant wait to download 'The Rolling Western', 'Mutant Mudds' and 'Mighty Switch force'. they all look cool. thank god i have a 16 gb memory card to fit all the games coming out.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Although that art style seems like a HUGE departure from the aesthetic I loved in the original WiiWare screens...

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Thanks for the link, Oddy (38.) !
Interesting to see that they're not doing it in 3D. Hope it won't mean this will flop on the eShop.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

@bro2 That's the bonus area that looks different from anything else in the game.

Basically be like PC? The motion controls if they go through with them will change it a lot.

Ski_Deuce

Ski_Deuce said:

Just so you guys know, NightSky is published by Nicalis, not developed by him. It's developed by nifflas, who is a great developer in his own right. I interviewed him last year.

Henmii

Henmii said:

From the article I don't get that the Wiiware version is cancelled! It could still be coming!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

If this game is anything near half as good as the 10-star Wiiware title "World of Goo", then it will be an instant download for me.

The lack of 3D is not a deal-breaker. In fact, for me, motion controls completely break the in-game 3D effect for games that require movement (I also have to sometimes turn it off during critical moments when gameplay gets really intense; ie my adrenaline goes up, and I tend to squirm a little too much during boss fights on LOZOOT). Unless a third party develops a cradle device that mounts the 3DS onto a VR helmet (Virtual Boy style) so that it always keeps your eyeballs focused in the "sweet spot" area, I will continue to play button/touch controlled games mostly with the 3D on, and motion controlled games exclusively with the 3D off.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

No 3D? That's lame. Missed opportunity. Might I suggest a 3D update patch Nicalis?