New Stills From SEGA's Emperor Napoleon Rhythm Game

Posted by James Newton

Sleek beat agents

The game with the best name ever — SEGA's Japanese 3DS game Rhythm Phantom Thief R: Inheritance of the Emperor Napoleon — just threw a few new screenshots our way with all the panache of a hat flung across the dance floor before landing perfectly on a hat stand.

Blending button, touch screen and motion controls, the game looks to blend story, animation and rhythm gameplay to create something altogether unique. The shots certainly look interesting, but only time will tell if the game has more than just an amazing name to hold over Elite Beat Agents, its clear inspiration.

SEGA also just opened its official site for the game at r.sega.jp, a snappy URL but one the world's already overworked keyboards will appreciate. It also contains some funky harpsichord, double bass and trumpet jazz, so there's that too.

The game is due out in Japan this winter. No word on a release elsewhere yet.

[via 4gamer.net]

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I'm wondering if the inspiration actually came from another Sega game, the Dreamcast cult classic Space Channel 5.

Whatever it is, I hate rhythm games, so this is a "no" for me.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This looks pretty good, I might get it if it gets a western release even though EBA didn't really interest me.

Punny

Punny said:

It's like if the Elite Beat Agents wore Michael Jackson's clothes! I'm getting more interested by the day...

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Hmm...if it really will be as good as Elite Beat Agents ( Hopefully even better! ) I'll just have to get it. Hope to see more news on this soon!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Hoping this begins a deluge for the 3DS of the kind of quirky games that helped make the DS's library so appealing, especially early on.

Yosher

Yosher said:

If Nintendo doesn't come with their own EBA/Ouendan games anymore I'll gladly take this!

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

This may very well be the game that finally convinces me to buy a 3DS! Or at the very least, to get a job so that I can eventually contemplate purchasing such things!

Syrup

Syrup said:

Here is the description from the official website (which has the an awesome song playing in the background).
Translated using Google Translate:
A fusion of rhythm and story,
Rhythm Action adventure new sensation!
Unfolds on stage in Paris
紐解Ke dramatic stories in rhythm!

Clues to his father who disappeared leaving a mysterious emblem
To grab, a variety of art
Born "rhythm" R Thief steals on.

Operating the R answers, the full capabilities of 3DS
Rhythm and with lots of games,
Feature animation and stereoscopic
ADV will be expanded with sound puzzles
Please enjoy a dramatic story!

If this doesn't make it to America I'll just be very disappointed in Nintendo (yeah.)

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Now I want a new EBA/JapaneseEBA game so bad now. I easily would rank those games in the Top 5 best DS games of all time. I hope this game can be at least half that good.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hmm, they look like smooth criminals (get the reference?)!

I don't know at the moment: Maybe it will be good, maybe not.