Koizumi Talks Super Mario 3D Hub, Caps and Replay Value

Posted by James Newton

Lots of levels?

The 3DS price cut tomorrow might spur more people into picking up the console, but it won't matter a thing if the software isn't there to support the console in the longer-term. That shouldn't be a problem with Super Mario 3D Land set to launch in November this year, though.

Director Yoshiaki Koizumi recently spoke to Official Nintendo Magazine about his plans for the game and hinted at a few details yet to be revealed about the game.

While he didn't confirm the number of levels available in the upcoming 3D adventure, he did state that the team's emphasis is on replaying those levels multiple times. Could we see a Stars-like system implemented to encourage players to revisit each stage? Koizumi said that this focus on replayability might influence players' perception of how many levels there actually are in the game, a particularly cryptic statement that hints on a smaller line-up of levels played repeatedly.

Koizumi also deftly dodged the question of whether there'd be a Super Mario Galaxy-style hub to access stages:

We always try to use what is appropriate for the tempo of the game, so while a hub was appropriate for Mario Galaxy, it might not be appropriate for a game like Super Mario 3D.

Sounds like hubs are out, but what about power-ups? Koizumi again confirms familiar powers will return alongside the iconic Tanooki Suit, but kept quiet on the details.

Lastly, it looks like Mario won't be the only playable character in the game: when asked if other Mushroom Kingdom characters would be playable, Koizumi replied:

I hope that's one thing you will look forward to finding out in the future!

We're calling it: enter a special code to play as Birdo.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Hahahahaha, Birdo as a playable character would be WIN! !
Sadly I'm not one for replaying levels over & over, unless of course they mean the Super Mario 64 type of level with 6 or so stars per level, then that's awesome. In any case, more Mario the better, still probably won't get a 3DS anytime soon though.

jdkipfer

jdkipfer said:

I hope he doesn't just mean, "Play the levels many times over again because we didn't feel like doing more and we feel good about hew these ones turned out." But it should be fine.

Kifa

Kifa said:

@jdkipfer - What you said. I too hope that the smaller amount of levels isn't just out of them being lazy. If even Nintendo internal developers ignored the 3DS, the system would be as good as dead.

Samholy

Samholy said:

replay levels ?
actually, its that trend since mario 64.
mario sunshine, mario galaxy, new mario bros, theyre all about replaying them with different goals. nothing new here.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I wouldn't mind replaying levels if the levels were different in layout the second or third time. Even though they will have the end-of-level flag, they might have hidden stars like the green stars in Super Mario Galaxy 2. As far as no hub world, that's fine with me since this isn't a full 3D game anyway.

I'll call out the playable characters right now. Luigi, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad! I actually hope for Wario and Yoshi too.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Regarding hub world: Dang. Mario games have been retreating on the hub aspect for years now, and it continues to disappoint me greatly.

Sunshine had the greatest hub of just about any 3D platformer in history;
Galaxy's was simpler but still very enjoyable and captured the mood of the game well;
Galaxy 2 gave up on even trying, wasting the opportunity with a small, pointless hub and a dull level select screen (one of the reasons I still consider Galaxy 1 to be a better experience);
NSMB (& Wii) could have taken inspiration from the great 2D maps in Super Mario World, but instead created a mostly bland and mostly linear sequence of levels.

A hub world or map world matters to the game. Without it, the levels just feel random and unorganized, with no sense of progression or overall adventure. I certainly hope they reverse this recent trend at some point.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

Looking at the ridiculous amount of content in Super Mario Galaxy 2, I'm not worried in the slightest. I'd buy a game half the size.

Despair1087

Despair1087 said:

i hope the game is more like 64 and sunshine. i hate floaty levels. do you know what i mean? my favorite mario stage ever is bob-bomb battlefield. i hate when levels are floating out in the middle of nowhere... i hope most of this game is set on the ground. but looking at these screenshots i think i'm going to be disappointed... :(

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Thanks for not spoiling too much, Mr. Koizumi. :)
I don't really care about hub worlds. And even if you only revisit the levels to collect something like SMG2's green stars i'd be fine. While secret exits like in NSMB would be more amazing i'm not holding my breath for 'em.

Drewciffer

Drewciffer said:

Meaning they rushed the game to get it by Christmas and don't want to admit it's lacking.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I feel like this was a dumb move on Nintendo's part, they should launch a few new games tomorrow with the price drop.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I'm kinda hoping the other characters are Luigi, Peach, and Toad, just as an homage to Super Mario Bros 2 US.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

What komicturtle said! :D

And I love hub levels. Please let there be a hub level.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@warioswoods I also hope they reverse that trend too, I don't think the levels in SMS were the best but it easily had the best hub and it the hub in SMG may notn have been as good as in its predecessors but it was still pretty good, hopefully a future 3D Mario platformer will have a really good hub.

@Drewcliffer I can see what you mean by them rushing it to get it released in time for Christmas due the it having no hub, all the levels just having the objective to get to the end of the flagpole at the end of the level or beat the boss at the end of each world unlike the variety of level objectives in most 3D Mario platformers etc.

motang

motang said:

Hub worlds are ok, though for this game I would like more like what New Super Mario Bros. Wii had and less of what Galaxy.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

Peach's Castle is easily the best hub in a Mario game. And please stop comparing it to console Mario games, because it isn't on a console.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@RYBlast It's still a 3D Mario platformer so I don't see whats wrong with comparing it to other 3D Mario platformers and the 3DS is powerful enough for games that are comparable to home console games which is another reason why I don's see whats wrong with comparing it to the other 3D Mario platformers.

ChaosTheChao

ChaosTheChao said:

Birdo as a playable character in a main mario game = nintendo going bankrupt. I like hub worlds, but i'm not going to hold my breath.

moosa

moosa said:

Even Super Mario World had you replaying levels for different reasons. Most notably to find all the different exits. It's not a bad thing; it means the levels are more complex and less linear. To say Mario World's level designs were ingenious feels like an understatement.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I'm not necessarily worried about the game, as Mario is always awesome, but some of the Koizuma's comments make it sound like it's not going to be as great as it could be. He seems to dodge even the most straight forward of questions (ex. How many levels will the game contain? etc.) He comes across almost, dare I say it, apologetic about the product.

But again, I have confidence that Mario 3D Land will be a very fun title but it may well be as lacking as NSMB DS was (which is my least favorite Mario platformer).

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

"...a particularly cryptic statement that hints on a smaller line-up of levels played repeatedly."

A la Super Mario Kart, or Super Circuit, Bowser Castle 1, 2, 3. The same graphics, but if they have difference, the bigger the better. Like in Mario Galaxy.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Thankfully he is not spoiling much. I'd rather discover how many levels are there, including secret levels, of course.

I don't want a hub. For a portable game, I want to be able to find levels easily and fast.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Considerung maps i think a combination of items and enemies like in SMB3 and secret exits and switch palaces like in SMW would be very nice to see. :)

hamza234

hamza234 said:

oh man what will be the 3ds cutted price in saudi arabia help me dudes...........................:-'(

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

I remember super mario advance and peach was a playable character. if there were a code to play as her that would be AWESOME!!! they should also keep her floating ability.

Cevan

Cevan said:

I think once you get all the star coins and finish the game, a bunch of stars show up and get hidden in each level. Then Mario must find every level's star, adding more replay value. As far as playable characters go, it's pretty much a given Luigi will be playable, however, I'd like to see maybe one or two more playable characters. I think another character should be Toad. Perhaps there could be little mushroom houses in certain levels, and we would need to play as Toad to get inside.

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

It doesn't matter what's in Super Mario 3D Land, it's probably gonna sell 10X better than OoT 3D, cause Mario's face is on the box.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Just give me the original non-Mario characters to play with: Luigi, Toad, Peach, and I'm set.

SuperMinusWorld

SuperMinusWorld said:

As long as it has a world map like Super Mario World or New Super Mario Bros Wii, I'm happy. I would very much like to see a system implemented where you revisit each level for a different purpose and some things are changed around a bit each time to open up new paths. That's probably not gonna happen but a gamer can dream. As for playable characters; Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Wario. I mean, why not. Wario. I'd love to see his fat a$$ waddle through the levels in 3D. If not Wario, then please put in Peach. This game is gonna be killer even if most of that stuff doesn't happen.