Kirby Makes His Return to Dreamland on 24th October

Posted by James Newton

Take a deep breath

Wii owners in North America, you don't have to wait until Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is out on 20th November to play something new for your console: Kirby's Return to Dreamland is coming on 24th October.

The four-player romp also be playable at the Penny Arcade Expo this week, so if you're in the Seattle area you can go hands-on with Kirby's latest on Wii and Kirby Mass Attack on DS too.

We played the game back in June, so read our First Impressions: Kirby's Return to Dreamland for more on Kirby's comeback. It also has excellent box art, as you can see.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Good boxart for sure. :)
@MiracleBlaze (2.): We get Mass Attack on October 28th.
Nintendo announced this game for a December launch in Europe. Which should about coincide with the last episode made available in the Wii's TV channel.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Yeah, I had a feeling this would come out in October. This will be the best Kirby game in a long time!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Uh-oh, Kirby's back to being hardcore again...

Anyways, awesome so see a release date. Day-1 must-buy, totally :)

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Two Kirby games in one season? Dang, good to be a Kirby fan this year :D

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

That boxart is awesome but I think they came up with a rubbish reason for King dedede and Meta knight helping Kirby. They're helping him get an alien back to its home planet? Seriously? That sounds too out of character for them. Why not have some really powerful enemy that threatens King dedede and Meta knight too like when King dedede helped Kirby defeat dark matter and 02 in kirby 64.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

Just two months? AWESOME. Kirby gamecube/Wii has been in the works for a long time and I'll be sure to pick up Mass Attack next month as well as this the month after :)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Ryno

Ryno said:

The boxart is very cool, all bright and full of life and energy. I have never played a Kirby game but I enjoy local Wii co-op platformers like DKCR and NSMBWii so might have to check this out.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

Awesome! Another chaotic 4 player Co-Op adventure for the Wii.

I'm so glad that I own one. :)

sfog

sfog said:

"I realized that this and Kirby Mass Attack are both releasing in the same week. Now that's cool!"

Nope. Mass Attack is coming out September 19th in the US.

accc

accc said:

We've been waiting SIX FRIGGIN' YEARS for this Kirby game to come out! Lets hope it's worth the wait!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

@Nintyfan We don't get to have Kirby week actually, while we're getting Kirby: mass attack on the 28th October, we're not getting Kirby's return to dreamland until December.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Ultra128: I was thinking the exact same thing, but my online search for their box art is turning up nothing at this time.

I must say, though, this title is MUCH better than the European one.

Link79

Link79 said:

Now this is a Kirby game I can be excited about!
Wasn't as thrilled with Epic Yarn.
Not being able to inhale enemies just wasn't right.

CerealKiller062

CerealKiller062 said:

@ThunderSTM
The money you would get for a Wii won't cover too much of the Xbox360 price. Especially the one with Kinect. I wouldn't even think about selling my Wii right now. we have a bunch of great games headed our way. Thanks to the dry season of games for the Wii... I have tons of money to buy all the super awsome new releases!

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

Sounds great! I don't know whether to buy this game when it's released or to wait until Christmas to get it. TOO TOUGH!!!

WertyYertrew

WertyYertrew said:

That E10 rating better be due to a spectacular fight against Zero's bloody scarred form at the end of the game after collecting all Crystal Heartstar Shards or something....

If that isn't the case, I'd like to punch the ESRB committee in the face for giving a freaking Kirby game an E10 rating and roundhouse kick the director of this game for forsaking the awesomeness of Dark Matter (an entity that is in my opinion the most competent, awesome, and downright evil "villain" in the entire series).

I guess even if we don't get Dark Matter in this game, it wouldn't matter since we still get a Kirby game in the first place.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nice box-art! Hopefully we Europeans get a concrete release-date soon too!

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I still like the name Kirby's Dreamland Wii better. KRTDL is just so long and unmusical. Doesn't roll off the tongue at all...

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Kirby's return to Dreamland" sounds nice. But "Kirby's adventure Wii" doesn't sound bad either! It gives you more the feeling that they are aiming for "Kirby's adventure NES" greatness!

Either way, the game looks awesome and quicker then Kirby 64. I think this Kirby game will be better!

I don't know if you guys already know the story? Well, it's pretty simple: A alien crashes with his space-ship in Dreamland, and Kirby and Co decide to search for the broken parts! That's all (or so it seems)!

pntjr

pntjr said:

Great, now another game i need to get this holiday season.

Oh wallet, how will you ever forgive me?

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

LOL at the caption. :P

I'm actually pretty surprised only a few people commented about this. I mean, remember the "scheme" business?

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I hope this one is better than Epic Yarn I was kinda disappointed in that one.

Noire

Noire said:

I'm so, so glad we get another Kirby game on the Wii instead of something interesting like F-Zero. :)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@50 Henmii

Is that the story? And the alien is called Olimar?

Jokes aside, this seems to point that at least in NA the drought is over, as we are getting a good game per month (two in November) till the end of the year, starting in September with Kirby Mass Attack.

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

Come now 57. MechaPhoenix, It's not like Epic Yarn was /really/ a Kirby game and plus we have waited for a real Kirby game since Kirby 64. We got an Amazing F-Zero for the Gamecube which lacked in Kirby platforming goodness (But had a wonderfully fun Air Ride instead). Although I still really want to see a new F-Zero Game I am still very glad we are getting this superlative Kirby.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I still don't get the Epic Yarn hate. Fantastic game and still captured the cute personality of Kirby and had some amazing gameplay ideas. That being said, after playing this baby at E3, I was pretty impressed with it. Two great Kirby games for the holidays! Win-win! :D

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

I agree Corbs. Epic Yarn was freaking awesome! I already have Mass Attack on pre order, so when I finish payin for that, this one's next. :P

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

This looks really fantastic! I'll be buying for sure on launch. This holiday is gonna be incredible. Between Skyward Sword, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Rhythm Heaven, Kirby: Mass Attack, Professor Layton and the Last Specter, Starfox 64 3D, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and a few others, i'll certainly have no shortage of things to play. I can here my wallet quietly weeping now...

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Agreed. The box art is screaming with fun, creativity and color. :D
Anyways, Epic Yarn may of been ridiculously unique, original, creative and gorgeous from a visual standpoint, while delivering some truly heart warming fluffy whimsical tunes, coupled with killer satisfying controls and motion controls(horrible Chu Chu train aside:p) ect ect.

But again.....You can't die, there's next to zero challenge and you will not gain one ounce of satisfaction or a sense of reward playing this game aside from finding a few semi-tricky treasures and collecting a certain amount of jewels here and there....

To put it simple, it's the definition of a Relaxing Platformer, so except it for that, soak up the sugar coated breath taking visuals and just enjoy it because it will put one big giant smile on your face from beginning to end. B-) Just ignore the tennant stages during the main game! Don't make the same mistake I did! lol

That aside, I have a feeling 'Kirby's Return to Dreamland' will offer a bit more fast paced fun and of course challenge. After all you can die...Then again, this IS Kirby and challenge isn't exactly the name of the game. :p If only we had a hard mode from the start.

And funny enough, I'm listening to Kirby's Epic Yarn - Snow Land while typing this haha. :p

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Now if there were special challenges like "complete level x with Samurai Kirby only" or something akin to the ones in Wario Land: Shake It! this game would be even better imo.

Punny

Punny said:

Fantastic artwork! I was a bit surprised by the E10+ rating, especially since this is a Kirby game. Then again, you can use a giant sword to slash stuff. Kirby's Epic Yarn was a fine game, but Kirby's Return to Dream Land looks even better. :)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@battLeToaD
I'd definitly love Objectives simular to Wario Land Shake it! It would bump up the challenge incredibly(at least it did BIG TIME in WLSI!) and would offer a more meatier, fun, addictive and rewarding experience. B-)

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Another "Returns" game which has concepts that ive been waiting for all these years but without an epic name. This is gonna really be a popular holiday game most likely beating out Rayman Origins but they even came up with a catchy title for that game.

MR_SUPREME69

MR_SUPREME69 said:

This game looks good.

but for a good laugh everyone read the first comment hahahaha best game ever. Riiiiiiight.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Kirby Wii
Kirby's Adventure Wii
Kirby's Return to Dreamland

I'm buying it to thank NoA for not sticking Wii on the end of the title.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Doubt it will match the majesty of KSS, but will 4P standard Kirby action, all it can do is WIN WIN WIN :D

I am ALL OVER this when it drops in NA.

BenAV

BenAV said:

This game's looking pretty good.
Can't wait for a PAL version to come out.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I've been waiting for this game. As long as Nintendo doesn't give the game bad controls or move it to Wii-U at the last minute, I'll be happy.
Whatever happened to Adeleine?

Henmii

Henmii said:

"And the alien is called Olimar?"

Lol. I have no idea what he/she is called!

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

This looks to be the best Kirby ever, in my opinion. My one complaint about the game is the fact that it is rated E 10+.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Best game ever?

This looks like Smash Bros., but in a real (i.e. decent) platforming game.