Join Forces With this Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Trailer

Posted by James Newton

Level up

We're not far from Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, so it's time to take a look at the plot that drives Square Enix's spin-off from the ever-popular RPG series.

Islands, monsters and statistics are the order of the day as usual, but with a twist: you can recruit monsters to fight alongside you in this sub-series, lending a new twist to the action.

Anyway, here's the trailer ahead of the game's launch in North America next month.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

The sprites look like Pokemon Black & White. Pixelated, but nontheless, looks decent. The backgrounds look black and generic though.

EDIT: Haven't been first comment in a while.

DrWadsy

DrWadsy said:

Tiny point - monster recruiting is not unique to the Joker sub-series, it's part of the monsters sub-series. Joker is just the name of the DQM games on the DS.

And in all fairness @5 - it's also your opinion that it looks the same as pokemon. Having played the first Joker game, and several DS pokemon games I'd agree with Oregano, they are actual 3D models and look much better than pokemon... But of course, that's just my opinion :)

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

The Dragon Quest/dragonwarrior monsters games often get compared to Pokemon. Both are good games of course. This reminds me that I should finish the first game.

LuigiSucks

LuigiSucks said:

Pokemon Black & White had a HORRIBLE story, lame pokemon, and Dragon Quest games-especially DQIX- are freakin' BEAST. Case closed.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Love the first game and the Game Boy Color prequels, I'll definitely get this one and I hope Square Enix make a third one for the 3DS to complete the trilogy.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

@8- Like it was said before that's your opinion. For me I like Pokemon just fine. DQ games don't appeal to me. In fact the only one I ever played was DQIX. The story was quite bland in my opinion.

Pogocoop

Pogocoop said:

Pokemon>>>>>This all day every day.

Still gonna pick it up because its a decent Rip-off IMO.

emirblade

emirblade said:

The first one was good but running around felt slow, I hope the hero gets a walkign boost or something. Also i don't like the new hero's hair.

Samholy

Samholy said:

looks fun but... do they expect to boost their sales with such an ad ? it was bad. like, real bad.
poor narative, poor video montage... this was booooring.
but this will be a good game, this is sad.

1upsuper

1upsuper said:

@Pogocoop Oh, no no no no. Pokemon didn't invent monster recruiting. Dragon Quest has had it since DQV in '92, several years before the Game Boy Pokemon games. It is not a rip-off by any means. Yuji Horii saw how well people liked the Monster recruiting and decided to make it the focal point to a DQ spin-off, and thus Monsters was born.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

This is no rip off. Pokemon is much more simple than this. DQM beats Pokemon any day. Its' less childish, adds a very good breeding system, more complicated catching mechanics as opposed to just throwing the same balls all the time. Anyone who's played these before will tell you the same.