Dr. Lautrec Solves the Riddle of the New Trailer

Posted by James Newton

It was in the kitchen with the candlestick

Konami's story puzzler Dr. Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights may have missed its summer release — according to Nintendo's 2011 release schedule, it's now down for November — but it's still looking like another interesting addition to the 3DS software line-up.

We now have a fresh new trailer from Gamescom 2011, complete with German subtitles, which only adds to the enjoyment, really. It's right here, below these very words.

GARF13LD

GARF13LD said:

I am really intrigued to see how this game turns out, I know it looks like a certain Professor but something tells me this is gonna be good. Hopefully it comes to the UK soon.

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

While I'm not the biggest Layton fan, this game seems to have an extra edge that appeals to me. I hope it turns out as good as the trailers, which have really piqued my interest.

motang

motang said:

Love the animation, though not on par with certain other scholar! :)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I hope that people don't dismiss this game as just a Professor Layton clone. I know I did at first but the more that I see of it the better and better it looks. I am really looking forward to it so I'm going to pre-order it now on Amazon.

GARF13LD

GARF13LD said:

I am 80% convinced but they need to show more gameplay videos before I am sold on this, once it has been reviewed I will make a decision, also depends what is out that same month.

Skotski

Skotski said:

This game will forever be known to many as the Professor Layton wannabe... even though it has some gameplay mechanics completely and utterly different from Professor Layton.

Honestly, I just think it's trying to ride Professor Layton's popularity.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as it's a good game.
It's a marketing tactic through design.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

I'm looking forward to this. Honestly I like how it's not going to just about the puzzles and it'll have some exploring and relic battle sections too.

I played the first two layton games but couldn't bear to play the third one because it would probably just be the same thing. (and the storyline probably involves the people not being real like the first two games)

Expa0

Expa0 said:

I was going to get this, but after the horrors of RE: Mercenaries, I'll only be getting the surefire games eg. only Mario Kart and TOA (? I'm not sure if it's coming this year)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Well the logo looks a bit too tame and maybe even a bit "casual" to me. But what the heck, let's look at the trailer now. Much like MocoLoco (5.) i always thought of this as Layton with a bit more edge. And the trailer seems like Lautrec could be just different enough from the Layton games. Not really much to see yet though.

PS: Was i just Ghost Tricked at 1:38 ?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Skotski: Well, you can't say it isn't working, at least in as much as people have heard of the game.

@Dizzard: Whoa, spoilers, dude! I mean, personally, I've already played those two games, but not everyone who may want to has.

@expa0: You'll only be hurting yourself that way, man. I can say with absolute certainty that the nature of this game will REQUIRE the ability to delete save data. Besides, it's not fair to Konami to pass over their game just because CAPCOM pulled a BS move.

As for my own opinion of the trailer...it shows a little more gameplay than I've seen before, but not enough to explain things further. Regardless, I had already reserved the game and am, to a certain extent, looking forward to seeing how the final product turns out.

Popyman

Popyman said:

I think this game looks awesome. It's a shame they went for an artstyle that's so similar to Professor Layton because, besides that, everything else looks really original and fun. That stuff at the beginning looked really nice though, I wish they made the rest of the game look as dark as that, that would have fixed the artstlye complaint I have.

wwww

wwww said:

Actually, this trailer quite disappoints me... previously I'd only watched the one on the 3DS eshop, but now seeing it in HD, I realise that the animation just isn't that good. It's really, really choppy, like they couldn't afford to in-between anything. I mean, look at the hand reaching forward at the end... the movement isn't fluid at all, it's really staggered. Also I'm really unimpressed with the shots of puzzle solving. The 3DS has a nice wide screen, and the best they could do was box it in with pictures of the Prof-- ahem, the Doctor and Sophie? That practice is irritating enough on a television screen, but on a handheld? That's just wasteful.

Arthedain

Arthedain said:

I'm looking forward to this one. Sure, it's almost like Layton, but this seems much more adventurous.

David77

David77 said:

It have the extact same look of Layton, the same kind of gameplay with the story of Da Vinci code. It's the biggest plagairism since Family guy tried to be The Simpsons.

Dyl_73

Dyl_73 said:

To all those saying it is a Layton wannabe.
So What? Who cares?
If it's a good game does it matter? Does that mean that any platform game is trying to cash in on Mario, or any brawler is trying to cash in on Street Fighter? No it doesn't. And if it's going to make money you can hardly blame the games companies for doing it. That's what they're there to do.