Colors! 3D to Brighten Up the eShop This Fall

Posted by Trevor Chan

Don't forget your paintbrush

3DS owners will soon be able to show off their artistic side when Colors! 3D launches on the Nintendo eShop in Q4 2011.

Originally created as a homebrew application for the DS known as Colors! in 2007, the application was then ported over to the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch a year later. The painting application has been downloaded approximately 500,000 times for the DS as of August 2010, and although developer Collecting Smiles describes the software as "simplistic", Colors! combines painting tools based on modern techniques with ease of use and user-uploaded creations in the Colors! Gallery will show you why the application has been so popular.

So what's going to be different with Colors! 3D? For a start, the 3DS download title will allow up to four users to take part in real-time collaborative painting using a Wi-Fi connection. The aforementioned gallery will also be integrated into the software, allowing users to share their works of art with each other.

As Colors! 3D will be played on a 3DS, Collecting Smiles has utilised the most prominent feature of the console as drawings will be viewable in 3D.

Expected to hit the eShop this Fall, we'll bring you more information on release dates and pricing when they are made available.

[via facebook.com, colors.collectingsmiles.com]

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

At first I was shocked at the caption, then realization dawned and I lol'd.

Mowzle2

Mowzle2 said:

I have a little experience of Colors! as a homebrew application.
It's brilliant, and Colors! 3D will be an essential download for me on my 3DS as soon as it's available.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Well, after seeing that photo, I'm impressed. As long as the price is right, I may grab it.

Colors

Colors said:

Colors! 3D to Brighten Up the eShop This Fall

What? Why did you yell? Isn't there already 3D on the eShop? I'm so confused! D:

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

I have to wonder if they'll add more features ( Such as layers, among other standard things that art programs come with nowadays ), or if it'll just be a direct port.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Too bad we never got the original Colors! on DSiWare, but this is just awesome!
Can't wait, looks like I'll leave Art Academy on the DSi then.
Though, I heard the original used pressure sensitivity, something the DS is capable of but Nintendo didn't want devs to use (or so I heard), will it affect this version?

TLink9

TLink9 said:

@10 no just still images.
I am shocked nintendo is letting a homebrew app......mind blown.

Mystic_Kirby

Mystic_Kirby said:

I love how the DS systems are getting attention as great art studios; or anything! We have several music studios (e.g. Rytmik, the Music On games, etc.) we have drawing apps (Inchworm, Flipnote, Art Academy), and lots of other cool apps! :) I can't wait to see what will be made with this one, once i get a 3DS.

pfontaine2

pfontaine2 said:

That is like the best news ever! I loved the homebrew app, even if the original DS and DSLite were the only systems that offered pressure sensitivity. My 3DS is turning into a really nice art and music creation system and I couldn't be happier.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

At first I thought they were going to be bringing 3D movies to netflix, with Avatar being the first, but then when I read a little bit my hopes were crushed.

Burny

Burny said:

The very best homebrew DS application gets an official release for the 3DS? A big thumbs up for that!

@Akatsuki
It gets even better. Colors! saves a complete replay of the image you painted, which you can upload to their gallery together with the image. There is a neat little application embedded in the gallery, which lets you watch the replay. If you want to see how the avatar picture was painted, click the little "play" button below the image.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Ya I had Colors! twas a very good program.
Although there should be a disclaimer stating you need to be an actual artist to create works like the one shown. :P

Samholy

Samholy said:

my dream comes true ! i cant believe it !!!
i never had a chance to get it on my dslite, always wanted it for the 3ds...

someone has the resolution of final images ? think i could make some comics for my website using this ?

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I'm excited for this to launch. Been waiting for a good drawing application for the 3DS. The only problem is we have to wait until Fall.

iqbal

iqbal said:

that looks like it was made on the computer looks like high quality stuff

3DSfReAk

3DSfReAk said:

3D + Art tools + Touch screen + Portable console = MAXIMUM FUN!!

I always loved the homebrew version, so in 3D is a must get, as long as the price is reasonable. :)

Sh00kst3r

Sh00kst3r said:

I've been waiting for something like this ever since Flipnote Studio. I have to say, I'm a hardcore flipnotist, though the color limitations really made me want more. Hopefully this is just like it, only way better.

SpiritChaser2010

SpiritChaser2010 said:

Looks like a portable version of the UDraw, but only better. I am looking forward to this title! Should be very interesting! Wish it was out already, itching to try it out lol!

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

I want this so bad :(
Well the year is almost over so if they're going to keep the Q4 2011 release it has to come in the next 6 weeks...