Uncharted Studio: "Wii U is Full of Holes, Nothing Sony Can't Do"

Posted by James Newton

So not impressed so far, then..?

Uncharted developer Naughty Dog has given its opinion on Wii U in an interview with NowGamer, and the studio isn't sold on Nintendo's innovation this time around.

Game director Justin Richmond from Sony-owned Naughty Dog said the console looks interesting but is nothing that couldn't be done on Sony consoles:

To be honest with you, the idea of it is very, very cool. But there’s nothing that the Wii U has that the Vita and PS3 doesn’t. You know, it’s an interesting piece of technology, and I’m interested to see how people use it.

Of course, the combined cost of a PlayStation 3 and Vita is north of the $500 mark, with Wii U likely to land much lower. Richmond also seemed surprised that the Wii U touch screen is resistive, not capacitive:

I’m not completely sold yet. That the screen isn’t multi-touch, that’s a little weird. It seems there are some very strange holes in it, but to be fair, last time I was sceptical of the original Wii, and look at how that did. I’m sure that the games they make for Wii U will be amazing.

Do you think Sony will go down the Wii U route with its PS3 and Vita consoles, offering a second window into the game world?

[via nowgamer.com]

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

So...he's saying it's full of holes but that it will be fantastic anyway. How informative Mr. Dog. That last sentence is positively inviting the "Sony copies Nintendo" argument, but I expect you knew that :p

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Well there's always a difference in having all you need packed in with the console and "add-on" technologies. Wii U developers can rely on everyone having a touch screen controller while not every PS3 owner will have a Vita. I hope Wii U games und devs will profit from that.

MelonYoshi

MelonYoshi said:

Why is it that sony cannot keep there mouth shut, im not going to buy the playstation vita if all they are going to do is to talk blueberries. the worst parrt is they didn't even mention games. in this article or which game will overthrow nintendo. they are basicing it on specs.... again.

AmarMah

AmarMah said:

Go away sony the videogame industry was a much nicer place before you entered! I hope you have to leave it, sorry if that sounds bad but I an not going to lie!

C-195

C-195 said:

Are they getting paid by sony to bad-mouth the Big-N?
"Nothing Sony can't copy...er.. DO I meant DO"

Lan

Lan said:

@3 I agree. All they're basing it on is hardware. Since when did hardware sell consoles? I always thought it was software. Sony seems to think differently. Wonder if they'll ever learn.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Sega does what Sony didn't... or did... going to do...

Idk but that ol Playstation be a Super Nintendo mutant.

Yo gawt dang ol Hank man, dat dang Booby ol CLICK CLICK man no say ZELDA dang ol swing swing stab yo.

GEOFF

GEOFF said:

I've sent Bowser and his henchmen round to put him full of holes.

BooJoh

BooJoh said:

I'm sure a few devs might get creative with PS3 and Vita connectivity, but it'll never catch on big for the same reason it didn't with GBA->GCN. No developer in their right mind is going to want to release a game that requires two game systems to play. What the Wii U really brings to the table in this case is connectivity between a handheld and console out of the box with no extra hardware purchase required. Every Wii U owner will have the tablet controller, so devs have no reason to not use it.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@3 @4 @5 @6 That wasn't Sony that said that. It was just one of the most well respected developers on the planet.

But let's never let facts get in the way of a good, illogical and deeply flawed fanboy argument.

@1 That's not what was said at all. What he said was that he wasn't personally impressed by the hardware, but he's been proven wrong before.

I guess it's unrealistic on this site, but it would be just awesome if stuff like this could be handled rationally. Just once.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

i like that hes being skeptical, but he admits that he was wrong about the wii and isnt making any final judgements on it
and i agree with his comments about the touch screen, the resistive screen works great on the DS, but for something like this, a capacitive screen would work quite a bit better i feel

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

@ 5. Nukerprime64 : "Nothing Sony can't copy...er.. DO I meant DO"
Hahah, you hit the nail on the head.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

I say, son I SAY! Them Video game companies don't know one eye from a nose. They trip over themselves every time they run. They have their shoes tied! GET IT! SHOES! STRINGS! It's a joke son! Agh! I keep pitchin' em and you keep missin' em! Sharp kid... (sharp as a spoon).

skywake

skywake said:

I agree with @10 here, there is no way PS3+Vita will be required to play a game so the two really aren't worth comparison. Besides, doesn't the PS3 already do something similar with the PSP? .... I don't seem to remember that taking off anymore than Wii/DS, GC/GBA or even N64/GBC connectivity (what was it, Pokemon and Mario Golf/Tennis?) and even though the Vita seems to be able to do a lot more I wouldn't put money on that doing much better

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

There's a lot of chicken hawks in here, I say chicken hawks. Before you know it son, they're going to start getting hungry. I ain't want to be here when that happens. If anyone asks... I'm a DOG I say a DOG!

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

@ 2 & 10: Exactly the point I was going to make. Out-of-the-box compatibility is a huge difference. This is why people are tagging Move-support onto their games rather than developing Move-only games.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

@11 I don't see what the difference is, he says it has some "very strange holes in it" but he's sure they'll make some "amazing games for it." Which translates roughly to what you said anyway.

Will the PS3 be around for long enough for developers to even consider using the Vita as an add-on? Their lifetimes will only overlap by a year or two so there doesn't seem to be any point in making games that take advantage of both, only to be rendered obsolete soon after.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

It's Sony. If the Wii U sells, they will copy it. The bigger problem is mobile stuff, and they are both in trouble from the looks of sales figures released yestrday and basically numbers from the entire year.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

And i'd like the 3DS and the Wii U to be multi-touch as well. But i guess it's the price point Nintendo is really worried about here... :|

Link79

Link79 said:

Why does Sony always have to do this? Our stuff is better blah,blah,blah. We're not impressed with Nintendo's new junk.
It's outdated and only babies would use it. Blah, blah.

What's the matter Sony. You Jelly?
Nintendo doesn't do all this mud slinging.
why must you?

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

PS3 & Vita will be like Wii and U-draw tablet. They just really won't be worth buying because there aren't enough good games to support them, so people won't develop because not many people are buying the tablet/game. It turns into a cycle. Same thing with the motion+. Not everyone HAD to buy it, so devs were afraid to produce games with it. Now that the wii -U comes with both technologies, we can see some really interesting games.

KrazyBean

KrazyBean said:

So far the Wii U looks like a massive DS with motion controls to me...

Also, it's Naughty Dog saying this, not Sony...so keep your shorts on.

RonF

RonF said:

So a Sony subdisiary keeps the parent company tradition of trashing the competitors' products. Why this was posted as news?

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

Oh please. Naughty Dog's part of Sony. Have been for years. Naturally they would poopoo any of Sony's competitors.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

What the hell? Naughty Dog and Sony will pay for this insolence! I have never been so insulted in my life as a TRUE loyal fan of Nintendo for many generations! Even if Sony did not speak these despicable lies, they are still guilty of association and I will fight them to the bitter end. How dare they bash on my favorite company!

rdvid

rdvid said:

No, Nintendo cant make such a huge HATERSLIST that they even let HACK there devices and dissapoint MILLIONS OF USERS! PSN Hack anyone?

NSBlueLighing

NSBlueLighing said:

I don't care if he downed Wii U or not Naughty is one of the best developers around. And ya Sony probably told him to but, Sony will come out with something like Wii U and that maybe better or worse( better by technology wise and worse by crap shovelware games).

Weazle

Weazle said:

hehe .. what sony cant do is think about things themselves. They only copy things from, mainly, Nintendo. So mr Naughty dog should keep his mouth shut and just be amazed by this piece of revolutionary amazingness! hehe :)

cangelo

cangelo said:

what do you expect to hear from the competition? It's not like Nintendo doesn't give Sony the cold shoulder. Who cares? I hope both companies continue to put out great products/games.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

Calm down people!

I think it's actually a pretty fair assessment of the hardware (although the article title is somewhat sensationalist). I'd agree, on the whole, with Mr. Richmond's comments.

It annoys me to see so many people up in arms when a criticism of Nintendo is aired (especially when it's justified) - Nintendo has made critical statements about other gaming platforms on more than one occasion.

It happens. If you don't like it, ignore it.

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

yeah the Vita and PS3 will copy Nintendo's idea in the near future now that they have seen the Wii U (as he was saying) but at least I wont have to pay an arm and a leg for both the Vita (which will fail... just wait) and a PS3 (which honestly I own one and I find it very dull and lifeless when it comes to games) just to do what the Wii U can do.

But like you said, this guy is just from one of the developers +and this is just his opinion...

Ryno

Ryno said:

Wow, the Naughty Dog Game Director, not Sony, makes comments pointing out some of the faults he has found with the Wii U and then continues on about something most people already know about potential Vita + PS3 = Wii U and the Nintendo fanboys still complain and whine even after this guy says "I’m sure that the games they make for Wii U will be amazing."

Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox are all awesome, it is because of this competition between them that we have all this great technology. Stop being so sensitive about Nintendo.

Wesker

Wesker said:

These comments are unfortunately full of blinkered Nintendo fanboys. Seriously, If you can, go play an Unchartered game and then comeback back and tell me that Sony only copy Nintendo. The PS3 allows for sophistication of gameplay and story-telling that Nintendo either can't do or are scared to try.

Plus, do you Nintendo fanboys even realise that you can already access your PS3 remotely via the PSP and play games from your PS3 on your PSP? And just like the PSP, the Vita is a portable machine, as in you can take it out of your home and play games remotely, unlike the Wii U tablet. So how can Sony only copy Nintendo when they already do things and will continue to do things that go far beyond what Nintendo does?

BTW Naughty Dog only highlighted a couple of drawbacks with the Wii U and then said it will be great anyway because it's a Nintendo. That sounds more like a complement to Nintendo than a criticism.

jkshaz

jkshaz said:

@39 Yeah I agree. Just typical competitive business stuff. May not always like the way its done, but its ingrained in the culture of business to be competitive and to criticize competition. Besides I didn't think he said anything all that scathing. Seemed like Richmond attempted to be somewhat reverent.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Honestly he was fairly complimentary of the Wii U, calling it very cool and an interesting piece of tech. He even admits he was wrong with his skepticism of the original Wii.

Nothing to get all worked up about here.

Hokori

Hokori said:

so I think this is official, PS3/Vita will have the Wii Style controller.

"To be honest with you, the idea of it is very, very cool. But there’s nothing that the Wii U has that the Vita and PS3 doesn’t."
@Rhyno I think its because they are close to Sony, it like if Hal Labs Based Sony..... would you blame Nitendo

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

You know what? Screw it. At this point Sony can go f*** themselves. I literally hate them now. They bash and copy Nintendo way too much now.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

I dont think im going to be swinging my ps3 remote at the ps vita and watch the golf ball from the vita go onto the bigger screen

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

The Wii U is more powerful than PS3. 50% !!!!!!! :D
PS3 and Vita won't be able to put out games with graphics as great as the games the Wii U will have. Sony needs to make a PS4, copy Wii U's abilities, copy Mario/Zelda/Metroid and maybe then Sony has filled up THEIR holes.

Ryno

Ryno said:

How do you people normally buy things? Do you just read only the positive reviews?

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

@48
I agree. I don't see any PS3 ever game incorporating both Move and Vita while allowing seamless communication between the 3 devices. Maybe Naughty Dog will back up their remarks with their next game though.

As for the 'holes', well i'm glad that the WiiU tablet has a resistive screen as I hate capacitive screens. I'm not even sure why Naughty Dog thinks that you'd need multi-touch though when the controller also has two analogue pads, or how they think you would actually hold it while sliding both your hands around the screen. Either they didn't give it much thought or they are just trying to play down the competition, either way it seems dumb.

melechofsin

melechofsin said:

Sony has an obvious inferiority complex when it comes to Nintendo. Also a bit dedlusional. Wii U can do a lot more than PS Vista.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

The sheer fanboyism of the comments on this website annoys me to no end.

Back in the day, the Playstation reigned supreme over the N64, but everyone here acts as if Sony is the worst thing to ever happen to videogames.

Widdowson91

Widdowson91 said:

I read this article on another site. The other article I read gave more info on what he exactly said. He said that the Wii U offers othing the PS3 and Vita don't. but then went on to say But I've not seen a dev kit.

So basically he's talking . But you expect that from a company owned by Sony.

Wesker

Wesker said:

"The Wii U is more powerful than PS3. 50% !!!!!"

@ SKTTR Yeah right, If you believe that, you'll believe anything. They showed nothing at their E3 conference to prove that. The best graphics I saw at the Nintendo conference was the PS3 version of Batman Arkham City, which by the way is coming out his year. Why would they show PS3 games if the Wii U has so much power?

Hokori

Hokori said:

@58 it is going to be 50% more powerful then the PS3, Nintendo said it themselves, and more power doesnt JUST mean better graphic you know

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

Why do people find it so hard to believe that the Wii U is more powerful than the PS3, when it's a next gen console?! Of course, the sucessor to the PS3 and 360 will be more powerful than the Wii U, since they're being released later. But again, who cares about power and graphics if the games are good?

And of course Sony is going to copy Nintendo eventually. So will Microsoft. IF, if the Wii U controller is successful like the Wii motion controls.

Wesker

Wesker said:

@Otaku

So your telling me that Nintendo is coming out with a console that is 50% more powerful than a console that is five years old (PS3), yet they are showing off games for it that will already have come out for the PS3 like Batman and Darksiders. That doesn't sound like a very good strategy for promoting a brand new console which is 50% more powerful.

And when you say it doesn't just mean graphics,you better not be refering to things like disc storage because Nintendo optical disc has no where near the same storage capacity as Blu-ray.

Basically the Wii U is something like a current generation console (Xbox/PS3) with DS type functionality. So you'll get ports of games made for other current gen consoles from 3rd parties and a few Nintendo games that use the tech in creative ways. That's all we can be sure of at the moment, expecting anything more is just pie in the sky.

hamispink

hamispink said:

@james I agree with pix, it seems that you took the negative comments out of context for the headline, but simply reading his words and your analysis lend it to a fair argument.
I just wonder how many commenters here actually read the article?

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

We are at a point where developers are able to keep pulling horsepower from existing consoles. Sure, the PC set can keep upgrading so that they can play the DIABLO 3's of the world, but all you have to do is look at SKYRIM to see what current-gen systems are still capable of. While I am also afraid that the WiiU is approaching Dreamcast territory in terms of its launch window (the XBOX 3 will be shown next year) we still have to realise that this is 2011 not 1999. If the WiiU is even partially more powerful than the PS3 then Nintendo is giving people a console that should be able to contend with the next-gen systems for at least a couple of years into their life cycles. Just please give me analog triggers and a new Classic Controller with better buttons.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

i sit, quietly munching my popcorn, watching the ensuing fun of insulted fanboys (or fanpeople, to be pc correct).

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

We'll see the PS# intigrate a screen in it's man system controller soon enough. This is just PR and marketing that they've been wrong on 9 times out of 10.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

I wonder what would happen if Nintendo said they paid these people to say negative things about Wii U. What would you guys say if that happens?

GCNSean

GCNSean said:

Wow, a Sony-owned company bashing Nintendo and the Wii U... Why even comment on a system that you know NOTHING about? Nobody from Naughty Dog has Wii U Dev kits... They know about as much as the average reader here knows.

Mabbit

Mabbit said:

@6, Hardware sold the Wii, mind you. And look at how much money that printed out.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Yeah, no one is reading the article. They're just seeing the headline and going into fanboy troll mode.

ASDFGHJKL

ASDFGHJKL said:

Umm, he bashed Nintendo? I might just not be following you guys, but I'm sure I read a quote in which he explains how the idea was cool and that there will be some amazing games on it. Honestly, he seemed pretty reasonable. Of course, I doubt the PS3 Vita combination to go very far just due to the price and the fact that a developer can not count on the every player owning a Vita.

But seriously, what were people expecting? Naughty Dog to announce they were leaving Sony to develop the Wii U as they thought it would be the console to end all consoles?

Moco_Loco

Moco_Loco said:

Nothing wrong with his observations. I respect Naughty Dog. The only games I ever really loved on my PS2 were developed by them and I've heard nothing but good things about the Uncharted series.

Widdowson91

Widdowson91 said:

@58: I think it's sad that people think better graphics = more powerful. Everyone with a sane mind knows that it's the processor that needs to be more powerful to make a console more powerful, not the graphics.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Well, he is right. And he works for a Sony studio so what do you people expect? His job isn't to kiss Nintendo's , that's for all you fanboys to do. Frankly I'm looking more forward to PSVita, whether the connectivity with PS3 turns out well or not, because it seems to have some good games. All we've seen for Wii U is a bulky controller and PS3/360 ports.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I have reasons to bash Sony considering very few of my experiences with them have been pleasant ;)

Oh, and Sony sucks. End of story :D

Squid

Squid said:

Well, of course Sony can do it. Sony can do anything. As long as someone else did it first. :P

AmarMah

AmarMah said:

@WaltzElf: (11) Naughty dog are like retro .....no??? There fore they speak on behalf of Sony ....no??? Now whos the fanboy statement?? Sony should go away and crawl under a ditch, he can be as unimpressed with the hardwear all he wants, because it will be the same unimpression that the original wii had with the world which will still kick the competitions this year too, mark my words!!!

melechofsin

melechofsin said:

I love seeing the handful sony fanboys on this site getting annoyed that there are indeed many nintendo supporters who think that Sony is crap. You'd think they will just learn to live with that lol.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'll draw my own conclusion when I play both systems considering that I plan on buying a Wii U and a PS Vita.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Wow, massive fanboyism going on in here, on both ends of the spectrem. These comments don't surprise me though considering this is a Sony developer. It's also really hard for anyone to make a final judgment call on Wii U anyway because there's still so much that isn't known about it. Based on what Nintendo's done in the past, I'm certain it won't be cutting edge but I don't see it being a slouch in the power department either. Nintendo seems serious about bringing back core gamers so I'm sure they know what they need to do to do that. They also seem aware of the mixed reactions to it at E3 and I'm sure the feedback they're getting will be taken into account when they finalize the systems power and how it'll be marketed. Don't expect a beast of a super computer but don't assume it'll just end up another Wii either. I'm eager to learn more and when Nintendo comfirms it's finalized, that will be the time to place judgment.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

When you're working for a rival company, you're not as likely to favor someone else's product, so I'm not surprised anyone working at Naughty Dog would say this doesn't measure up to the PS Vita. If the PS Vita has a crappy d-pad like the PSP does, my chances of getting one will be slimmed down greatly.
However, Nintendo should move forward with their technology more. With two control sticks, a d-pad, eight action buttons, a Select button, a Home button, and a Start button, the Wii-U probably has no need for more than one touch-point, but having multiple touch points would certainly show the controller as not being so behind.

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

Why are there Sony Fanboys here! This Nintendo Life not Gaming Life! The Wii U is going dominate 2012-2017. Sony been saying stuff since DS vs PSP. DS Touch Screen, Games, Mic, and Camera made it 5 times better sales selling over 100 milllion DS and PSP sold 26 million even GBA sold over 70 million. Wii vs PS3 Motion Controls and Games that new and old sold the Wii over 80 million and PS3 50 million. Why cause of the software not hardware that why PS1 and 2 did a whole better. Same for 3DS vs PSVita will 3DS 3D, Games, Gyroscope, Apps and Classic title will sell while Vita is used for its media. In my Math class I bought Mario Kart DS to class and half the class played someone had a PSP out and no one even bother playing. Wii U will be a much successful Wii. Since WHEN DID DONY CHANGE GAMING! Uncharated is the same thing the controls and gameplay. When 3DS was revealed Sony pump PSP and started working on it. They learned that Motion Controls and Touch Screen define gaming BUT WE DS, Wii, and 3DS owners are 100% more experience in Touch Screen and Motion Control gaming!

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

When has Sony copied Nintendo? It's not like Nintendo hasn't been ripping off ideas for years. Ideas that Nintendo ripped off include Motion control (Xavixport) and "glasses free 3D" (Tomita Technology). I can't think of anything Sony has copied from Nintendo, except for the design of the Move controller.

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

Wii has many casual gamers and some core gamers and recapture the more of core gamers that will double or triple what the sales did Wii U is new tech Sony is a media company not gaming Nintendo is a gaming company.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

@Infernapeking
"Since WHEN DID DONY CHANGE GAMING!"
Since the Playstation original, but you probably aren't old enough to have experienced it back then.

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

Nintendo Superscope for the SNES was Motion Control and Kirby Titl N Tumber for Gameboy Motion Controls.

rockman0

rockman0 said:

"Game director Justin Richmond FROM SONY-OWNED Naughty Dog"

I'm pretty sure he was required to say that Sony's consoles were better than the Wii U. :/

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

How did a article about Naughty Dog complimenting the Wii U turn into a Sony bash thread? Some people need to learn how to read. :D

pixelman

pixelman said:

@turtlelink: What??? I thought he said it was more full of holes than a 10 pound slab of swiss cheese.

Whoops, should've read the article.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

WTF NINETDO IS SOOO BETTA THAN SONY. DUZ SONY HAVE GAMES LIKE MARIO OR ZELDA OR POKMON OR MOTIAN PLUS? NO CUZ THEY JUS HAVE LITTLE BIG PLANNET WICH IS GUD BUT JUST A PICKMIM RIP OFF AND CALL OF DUTEY WICH SUX SONY U SHUD BE ASHAMMEEED!!!!!!!!

C-195

C-195 said:

So much Sony bashing, we never bash Microsoft enough around here, it would make an nice change. Then again, Microsoft never seems to comment on their rivals; probably too busy counting how much money they're getting off RROD victims.

jkshaz

jkshaz said:

@106 am I confused or is Naughty Dog not a subsidiary of Sony? Which would imply that Sony owns the majority of voting stock in the company. Sony may in fact give them a lot of leeway in development, which I am ignorant to so I will take your word for it. However, if Naughty Dog is indeed a subsidiary of Sony, then Sony does own them in at least a small fashion.

Noire

Noire said:

Damn you, Justin Richmond. I don't know who you are, but damn you for saying something perfectly reasonable. I will hate Sony for a thousand years, and my children will hate Sony, and my children's children will hate Sony, to the thirtieth generation! So go crawl in a ditch and die!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@jkshaz They are a subsidiary of Sony, but just like with Insomniac, they have an opt-out option and also have the freedom to produce games on other platforms if they so desire. Sony funds the company and of course they want them to continue their established franchises, but where the difference lies with Sony than Microsoft is that where Microsoft didn't allow its companies the freedom to create - hence the companies not being able to develop new IP's while owned by Microsoft and forced to keep sequels coming with minor improvements, Sony does.

While everyone keeps the Sony bashing constant at every available possibility, Sony is bringing out fresh new IP's to the market, and it's because of their partnership with their developers that allows them to do just that. That is why Everyday Shooter developer Jonathan Mak isn't developing Everyday Shooter 2, but instead creating the uber unique Sound Shapes for PS Vita, which is shaping up to be just as creative as Everyday Shooter was at PSN launch years ago. It's the same reason that Uncharted and Resistance franchises were created by developers that already had stellar existing PlayStation exclusive franshices (i.g. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank) - they were allowed the ability and unlimited funding from Sony to try new things, and look at the end results!

I'm not bashing Nintendo, as everyone on my 3DS Friends List know already knows that I play the thing constantly and adore the company, but when is the last time Nintendo created an established franchise of the likes of Resistance, Killzone, Halo, Modern Warfare, Gears of War, etc.?

jkshaz

jkshaz said:

@Slapshot that was very informative thank you. I'm still not sure I agree with you technically speaking on the ownership part, but it seems like their agreement has a lot of built in freedom for Naughty to pull away if desired. Which would definitely allow it to function independently of its investor. Like I said I'm glad you shared that with me very interesting. Oh and for the record I was not attempting to bash Sony. I think a little friendly competition makes things interesting, not that Richmond was all that critical in the first place.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I did not like the title either. I feel Naughty Dog is important enough to be called by their name in the headlines.

Still, that is just this guy's opinion, the connectivity is similar, but as other posters mentioned here, it will be left for the people who own both systems.

But to be honest, looking at games like Uncharted 2 or even 3 makes you think what they could do with more horsepower, a point they don't even touch in the interview.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"I’m sure that the games they make for Wii U will be amazing"

But we'll stick to the Sony platforms, that's what he is saying!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@jkshaz Lol, I was in no way accusing you of bashing them. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinions, as that is what makes each of us unique. I'm a lover of all the companies and therefore the games the awesome developers produce. :)

Punny

Punny said:

Opinions, opinions. He gave his honest opinion and stated some flaws. I don't think that he was bashing. He called it "interesting" and predicted "great things." So what if there are a few holes? :)

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

@63
You're dismissing the WiiU's power because they are showing games that are coming out on PS3? Isn't it a sign of power that it can produce games that look as good already, after all devs have had 5 years to get the best out of the PS3, so for the WiiU to look as good on day one is pretty impressive. Just imagine how much better it'll look after it has had 5 years too.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

WiiU does have alot of holes. One for the stylus, one for the disc, one for the SD card...

@everyone complaining about fan boys on this site.

Just live with it. This is a site called nintendo life, what do you expect.
This studio "dissed" a console made by their favourite game company so you can expect them to defend their case. I know i would.

TastyBooger200

TastyBooger200 said:

dont nobody give a care about their sorry crash bandicoot games coming to the WiiU,the WiiU is a good console they just childish haters

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I love when people just read the headline.

It's probably not going to be much more powerful than a PS3. We all know this to be true, and if you have both a PS3 and a Vita (and let's be honest, if you're buying Sony, you're not short on cash) then yeah, Sony will do more.

But they give props to Nintendo's games. That's what the last statement means - despite the hardware flaws, Nintendo's going to bring out some top notch games for it. It's a fair assessment. Chill.

jkshaz

jkshaz said:

@Slapshot Just making sure I was clear and hadn't come off boorish. I tip my hat to you good sir. Oh and I agree with you I can respect good competent game developers regardless of affiliation, though my wallet may not be able to support as many as I would like.

timp29

timp29 said:

Interesting read. He basically says 'I'm very sceptical that this will work, but I said the same thing about the Wii and it did brilliant'. Seems like an honest guy and not just some spin pony from sony

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Token_Girl The statement was none other than Naughty Dog praising the Wii U, much like the way 'Cliffy B' did recently as well, it's just that they gave an honest (likely fair) opinion on the console as well. Wii U will be great there is no doubt about it, but the question that is being overlook by so many is; Will it be a 'must buy' system? The ability to play games third party games that so many already have the ability to play is a huge issue when trying to reclaim the lost fans, so Nintendo will have to make-up for this with lots of fantastic first party titles, which we all know seem to trickle out like molasses at times.

@jkshaz Ha, it's tough on my wallet as well! Sony's target demographic is older male gamers that have a good deal of expendable cash, and it's quite likely that many PS3 fans will make the $250 investment in Vita, especially when all of the PSN games already available will be playable on Vita, and PSP games will get a graphical upgrade and dual-analogue support when played on the Vita as well. Just log into your account on your Vita and download you previously purchased games and enjoy, without all the unnecessary hassle that I just experienced with 3DS (lost All my DSiWare games that I purchased, but cannot reclaim because of Nintendo archaic online strategy). That is before even getting into dual-console connectivity, which will likely only require the game to be owned on one of the systems, instead of on both as many have previously stated.

Anyways, comparing the Vita to the Wii U is apples to oranges. Totally different demographics and gameplay styles. I'm glad that I enjoy gaming in nearly every type and even if my wallet (or wife) like it as much as I do. :)

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Well they're right. IGN pointed this out before.

Y'know Sony doesn't get enough credit. They're the PERFECT first party. Innovative, yet grounded in solid, "future proof" (for at least 6 years) tech (unlike nintendo). And in terms of supporting games, they have more accomplished first and second party studios than anyone. And can gladly produce charming, instantly fun games like Littlebigplanet and ModNation Racers alongside derivative, mainstream friendly stuff like Killzone and Gran Tourismo. Not to mention, they bring us unique, memorable games like Journey. And they support them all with good hype, PR and ad campaigns.

Meanwhile, Nintendo hates games. Especially ones that aren't Mario or Zelda, Wii Fit, Wii Play or Nintendogs. No commercials for anybody; game awareness isn't a priority for them. And they also refuse to court games that - while they do kinda suck, and are really mainstream and derivative of dozens of other games - gamers want. They think they're soooo innovative, but every innovation they bring to the table, they don't think it out or support it very well (lack of that Heart Sensor thing, few Wii Balance Board games, Wii games using NES-style controls, etc.).

And Microsoft? They hate their own games, it seems. For every Halo, there are about 6 Azuriks. While they only have 4 franchises — Fable, Forza, Gears and Halo — they've failed to support well over two dozen others. Project Gotham, Kameo, Banjo, Crackdown, Alan wake, Crimson Skies, Blinx, Tao Feng, Kakuto Chojin, Sudeki, Jade Empire, Perfect Dark, Mechassault, Shadowrun, Rallisport Challenge, Mechwarrior, Voodoo Vince... the list literally (sadly) goes on and on and on. They're a horrible first party in pretty much the exact opposite way nintendo is.

Nintendo thinks they can do everything. MS wants everyone else to do the hard work. Sony does both, and they do it well, which is much harder. They lead with their games and tech, but support third party games when they're worthy of receiving attention.

I like Sony. I like 'em a heckuva lot more after two generations of Nintendo f*ck-ups. Over f*ck-ups. The kind that are made clearly at gamers like us, because Reggie and co. would rather focus on the dimwits who fill their wallets with money every time a new dancing- or puppy raising- or minigame compilation game comes along. "Operation Rainfall" has made it abundantly clear that they're huge d-bags. And the entire Wii generation has shown that Nintendo does nothing but blow potential.

JustanotherGamer

JustanotherGamer said:

Sony will only pair up the PSvita and PS3. (or PS4) if the Wii U is a huge hit for Nintendo. Then yes Sony could easily counter the Wii U. With a PS3 and PSvita combo. Or even a PS4 and use an actual Sony computer tablet that has a capacistive touch screen. Sony has 2 tablet computers coming out a traditional ipad 2 or Playbook style. S1 and the other is a smaller DS style tablet the S2. Sony could really add insult to injury and use the DS shape tablet to take a stab at Nintendo. But if the Wii U is a colossol fail. Sony could take a wait and see approach.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Hopefully, the 3DS can be used as a controller. After all, it does have most of the controller inputs! I don't know if there will be delay or not when you use wi-fi for controller to console communication though...

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Give credit to Sony for bringing 'older' gamers into gaming Infernapeking. Up until Sony got into the gaming business, video games were always considered "children's toys". Though, I'm not a huge fan of Sony for many reasons (some more personal than anything else), I still appreciate what they have done with the image of gaming- to a point.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@132 actually I see a ton more people who suck up to sony/microsoft being 13-16, at least in my own life :) but yes they did help adults get back into gaming at least

nasachi

nasachi said:

Naughty Dog... lol, hahahahaha, noobs

@WiiU:
PS4 will have nothing WiiU doesn't have... and, in opposition to PS3/Vita/PS4, WiiU will have awesome exclusives masterpieces :D

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

To be fair, they do give some positives towards the Wii U - but still they're a Sony company so what do you honestly expect? They probably thought the PSP was increadible tooI bet.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

I mean this company is owned by Sony so like he pretty much has to say Sony's better. At least he wasn't a d-bag about saying it like Jack Tretton is ;)

Hokori

Hokori said:

@SZM exactly he was actually nice, but still how does he know Wii U has holes? has he played it?

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Why put up an article about Naughty Dog giving an opinion on the competition, only for members here to insult Sony.

I expect this in a fanboy thread coming from Sony fans but not at all from Nintendo fans.

I see the guys point...but he is after-all, tied to say this as he is getting paid by his employer...if Nintendo said the Vita has full of holes you'd still see most members being biased...

Anyway, Naughty Dog have a good reputation and I don't see them being insulting at all.

NiaLovesNinty

NiaLovesNinty said:

::inhales emphatically:: Nothing like a big ol' heap of flame bait!

@ KaiserGX: Foghorn Leghorn for the win!

Edwrd

Edwrd said:

The guy didn't really say anything negative about the Wii U. If Sony copies the Wii U concept,

it is certainly not a $500+ upfront cost to people who already own a PS3. It may be a way for Sony to sell more Vita units if they use it to market bonus features to future first party games that area only accessible with a Vita, but it obviously can't be vital content, or people without a Vita will get p*ssed!

motang

motang said:

Uncharted is awesome, I am going to pickup Uncharted 2 soon and will definitely pickup Uncharted 3 when it comes out. But I do see what they mean, Wii U can be mimicked on the PS3 version easily with Vita.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

There's a hole in my bro's PS3...

I guess the statement is true after all

I didn't do it though.

Retrogamer88

Retrogamer88 said:

sony is full of holes, the only sony console i still play is ps2 and somtimes psp when my cousin brings it with him when he comes to visit haha

TheInstantGamer

TheInstantGamer said:

I respect Naughty Dog because they make great games and I see that he wasn't completly negative but I mean come on. Do they even have a Dev. Kit? How can they make judgements when they've only just seen it. And to those saying that the Wii U hasn't shown anything spectacular, that's because it was shown early because of rumors about the console being leaked. They had no choice but to reveal it, otherwise they might've waited another year. We might've actually seen some more amazing things if not for the d-bags who leaked the info. What we saw at E3 was basically rushed out and I'm convinced that next E3 or maybe sooner, we'll really be able to see what this thing can do.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Daniel: It's a developer chiming in on how they think the Wii U will hold up against what Sony has to offer. It's not just 'sony news'. :3

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

It is a pointless comparison. Getting the Wii U will be one console. You won't have to buy any extras except for (of course) compatible games. For the PS3, Vita, Move thing to work, one would need a PS3, a PSVita, and a Move. Not to mention that the PSVita would either need A) Software compatible with the PS3 game or B) a way to flawlessly connect with the PS3 to do this sort of thing.

The only thing Sony has shown off with PSVita PS3 connectivity is sending a game from the PS3 to the Vita to take on the go. Also, Naughty Dog is basically a Sony company. They pretty much ONLY make Sony games. Crash Bandicoot and Uncharted for example.