Super Mario 3DS Has a Wardrobe of Famous Power-Up Suits

Posted by James Newton

A metaphorical wardrobe, you understand

Super Mario has made a big song and dance about the return of the Tanooki suit, but it's not the only famous garb the plumber can plod around in.

Yoshiaki Koizumi has told Official Nintendo Magazine that there will be other familiar suits available in the 3DS adventure later this year:

Also, I should point out that we don't necessarily decide on what number of famous Mario suits will appear in the game and proceed from there - we try to find interesting gameplay ideas and then try to settle on what to do in different places. But I can say that we will definitely have some more familiar suits than just the Tanooki Suit.

What popular plumbing power-ups would you like to see in the game? Shout them out in the comments below.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

ueI

ueI said:

Well... I guess it's an improvement over SMB3. Those suits were not necessarily based on "interesting gameplay ideas". Their usefulness was inconsistent and they seemed to be included just for the sake of having power ups. Glad to see this new game is better.

Ryon

Ryon said:

i agree with Luffymcduck. Raccoon Mario has more appeal to me, than Mario in a raccoon suit.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Honestly I don't care WHAT powerups show up, I just want them to last at the end of levels. The worst thing about SMG 1 & 2 is that (a) your powerups disappear at the end of a level, and (b) even worse, some of them are TIMED so you can't even play around and enjoy them.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

The power-ups I'd like to have in the game are the Kuribo's Shoe, Metal Cap. Mega Mushroom, and the Cloud Flower. Those were the best of all of Mario's power-ups in my opinion.

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

Kuribo's shoe would be fun! Also Cloud Mario, Fire/ice flowers can be fun to play around with, Starman, and maybe a few new ones. I'd like to play around with big and mini mushrooms too, I think the SMG style worlds could benifit with those. Or maybe instead of ice flowers we could use penguin suits? :D
Maybe something like in Bowsers inside story where mario wears a koopa shell. That could be incorperated into the gameplay.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

Kuribo Shoe and the Hammer Bro suit NEED to come back. Just don't make me use Spring Mario.

Punny

Punny said:

Hammer Suit, Kuribo's Shoe, Cloud Flower, Cape Feather (for enhanced flying), and the Frog Suit (but only in underwater levels, please).

EDIT: That's right.... There's no flying in this game...

D33G

D33G said:

Hopefully, this will be that Mario game I want with ALL the Mario powerups (yes, including the spring mushroom).

Tails

Tails said:

Kurbio's Shoe, Frog Suit, Raccoon Mario, Hammer Bros. Suit, I would actually like to see Metal Mario too. (I always thought Metal Mario was cool.)

Samholy

Samholy said:

kuribo boots !!!

but please... not the bee. it was by far the worst looking mario..

MrMagpie

MrMagpie said:

Kuribo's shoe please (but keep at as a sort of easter egg, the only reason it's special is cos its found in just one level!)

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

Metal Mario (not technically a suit?) - but the graphic of it should reflect what the front facing 3DS camera is seeing, not the game scene.

Nickno

Nickno said:

Maybe they can put that Chicken Suit that was going to be in NSMBW into Super Mario 3DS. I'd also like to see Cloud Mario. That would look cool in 3D, seeing him jump and make platforms.

Bacon_Gal_Blaze

Bacon_Gal_Blaze said:

I don't really m/ind much about the suits, just make sure the game is COMPLETELY new, since I'm getting sick of everything Nintendo releasing being a remake.

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

Frog suit is a must!! If there's a raccoon tail, there must be a frog suit too.

And Bee Mario should be infused with the Mega mushroom of NSMB!
A giant fabulous Bee Mario that crushes everything! That'd be disturbing :D

Yosher

Yosher said:

Wing Cap! Red Star! Any of the free-flight items, or let it be the P-Wing! Heck, even the P-Balloon would be sweet.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

The Fire Mario suit, just as long as he doesn't spin to throw fireballs like in SM Galaxy. Also: The Frog Suit, Metal Mario, Hammer Mario, some kind of combo of the cape from SM World and the Wing Cap from SM64, and...wait for it...DONKEY KONG SUIT! Mario could throw barrels just like fireballs, climb walls, pick up a boulder with relative ease, makes crushing rocks seem such a breeze. And, considering there is a Zelda world, LINK MARIO! MARIO WITH A SWORD!

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

My guess would be the frog suit. Other than that, I can't see any other of the suits from SMB3 making a reappearance. Raccoon won't happen because it's essentially the same thing as the tanooki suit, so that would be too repetitive. The hammer bros suit was barely utilized in SMB3, so I don't see it making a return either. If I were a betting man, I'd go with some of Mario's more modern transformations making the cut, such as the bee or boo suits from SMG or the penguin suit from NSMBW.

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

Frog Mario, it'd be really good to have a different swimming control in a 3D Mario game. Maybe also they could enable Mario to use the fireflower underwater like he used to!

Widdowson91

Widdowson91 said:

My favourite Mario power-up is Cloud Mario, so I'd love to see that make a return. The Frog Suit would be a nice addition too.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I request Frog Suit, Kuribo's Shoe, Hammer Bros. Suit, and Metal Mario. If they could make it function differently than the Tanooki suit, the Cape would be awesome.

resort55

resort55 said:

A non-timed fire and ice flower, penguin suit and everything from smg 1 and 2. would also enjoy some 2D levels like in nsmbw

MarioMario

MarioMario said:

I loved the Propeller suit but I guess it would defeat the purpose to the Tanooki suit. The Blue Shell/Rock Mario suit and Hammer Suit would be a fun return

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Definitely the Hammer Bro suit. I'd like the Cloud suit too, but I don't see that happening what with the Tanooki suit.

RedBlueSpot

RedBlueSpot said:

I think we will see the following suits.
Tanooki Suit for turning into a statue and get past different enemies.
Frog suit to swim fast and easy under water.
Mini Mushroom to squeeze into little holes and such.
Hammer Bros suit for breaking blocks.
Fire Mario, Star Mario and Super Mario will be the regular power ups.
Hopefully they will include Raccoon Mario also!

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

why are they adding the tanuki suit if there is no flying in the game as other have suggested.
memory serves me well enough to know the tanuki suit had flight ability aswell the ability to turn into a statue.
as far as i`m concerned turning into the statue was pretty useless, unless they plan to do something else with the suit, adding other things from the tanuki myths would be nice.

starfly5000

starfly5000 said:

i want the wing cap from super mario 64 in the game! i want frogger mario and also cloud mario. but i also wish mario would be a free roaming game instead of being separated into worlds. its gettin old and im tired of it! and why are the levels tined? it takes the fun out of the whole game!

Davidmoreaux

Davidmoreaux said:

I would love to see frog suit but because of Sonic and the black knight I am afraid of Mario with a sword idea.

Picola

Picola said:

Tanooki's extended ability to turn into a statue would be fantastic! Seriously, what is no 5 talking about!? SMB3 is one of the best games ever made, and the powerups were beyond useful - magical game design.

Doma

Doma said:

I think they should just reuse as much as they possibly can from SMB3 only. It is the best Mario game in existence, after all.

Tare

Tare said:

The P-Wing that let's you fly for the entire stage. Think of it like no-clip but in Mushroom kingdom.
The Invisa-cap would also be a nice luxury on the less forgiving of stages.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

if they bring back the metal cap, I hope that the music for it comes back too. It is my favorite track for Mario64

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

The shell suit from NSMB DS, as well as the mega-shroom. I had awesome fun with kicking my friend's @$$ in battle mode with Blue Shell Mario.

I was also highly disappointed that the Mega-Shroom did not make a reappearance in NSMB Wii.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

could you imagine 4 players with mega-shrooms? I would say that is the reason that they didn't include it in NSMB Wii

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

They could bring back the frog suit. Purpose: to jump higher and can land on lily pads without them sinking under water (Mario without this suit would sink the pads if he is not wearing the suit). I would so make the frog suit in this game if I was the creator.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Bunny Mario from Super Mario Land 2, maybe? They could even upgrade it to a full bunny suit.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

As I think mentioned already, Kuribo's Shoe and Hammer Bros. Suit... I can just see an epic hammer throwing fight with the Hammer Bros. ensuing :D

And Kuribo's Shoe had like, NO time to shine in SMB3... I would muck around that stage all day on purpose just because I couldn't play with it in any other stage, and M&L:BIS with the Village of the Kuribo's only reminded me of how much I liked that power up.

P.S. I wouldn't mind a new power up in the form of a Fire/Ice Flower Cross where Mario can wield Ice and Fire in each hand respectively... just a thought...

Teh-Ray

Teh-Ray said:

Someone mentioned a Link suit. In all honesty, with the Zelda Dungeon-like level, it'd be a no-brainer to include that!

At least, I think it'd be cool...

pikku

pikku said:

I'm guessing the cape from World is out of the question since they said they can't work flying wit the REAL Tanooki suit with the 3DS.

pikku

pikku said:

But yeah, All I really want is Yoahi, and the ability to take him to any level, just like in World. Super Mario World did so many things right it's incredible.
and the best 2D Mario to date :gentlemen:

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Kuribo's Shoe
The ability to turn into a statue while you have the Tanooki power
Frog suit
Hammer Bros. suit
No time limit on power-up use
Warp Whistle
Ability to use, & take Yoshi underwater(unlike Sunshine)
Mario-nized version of the Zelda Dungeon theme in the appropriate area
A proper use of many SMB3 elements

Nintendo ~ if you are reading this, make it happen correctly, & I'll buy a 3DS!