Square Enix's Final Fantasy 3DS Game is a Little Off-Beat

Posted by James Newton

Cloud used Rhythm Stick!

Square Enix's first foray into 3DS for its beloved Final Fantasy series hasn't come in the expected RPG or Chocobo racing; it's something very different.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy is a "theater rhythm action game" according to Square Enix, with players tapping the screen in rhythm to progress. Of course the game's big ace up its sleeve is the music will all be collated from past Final Fantasy games, and classic characters drawn in a big-headed chibi style will also feature.

There are no screenshots or much in the way of solid details available yet, but the next issue of Famitsu is expected to carry more details.

[via andriasang.com]

Lan

Lan said:

I wonder how many Mother 3 comments this'll get (due to Mother 3 having rhythm based combat)

Noire

Noire said:

I actually kind of like the way this sounds (Chibicloud versus Chibisephiroth to One-Winged Angel would be pretty cool in my book), but I still want an actual RPG too, Squeenix. >__>

craigmoss19

craigmoss19 said:

If this game is to play like Elite Beat Agents but with Final Fantasy characters and music then I'm sold!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Don't just try to replicate Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents, Squeenix!

Aviator

Aviator said:

As long as it has Lightning, Vanille and Fang I'm happy.
and it better not have snow...

daze0f_theweak

daze0f_theweak said:

If this game is bad,
or if this game is great,
it will STILL be a disappointment.
What the 3DS really needs is an solid RPG that takes advantage of the 3DS' graphical power.

I was looking forward to what Sqaure Enix was gonna do. Now I'm turning to Atlus. Maybe we'll see a Radiant History 2 or something original but equally as fantastic. That would be a dream come true.

47drift

47drift said:

This sounds amazing. So I'm imagining something like either Taiko Drum Master or Rhythm Heaven. Either way, I'm excited to play it.

Cipher

Cipher said:

@daze0f_theweak Yes, because this is the only Final Fantasy game that's ever going to be released for the 3DS and we're never, ever going to get a proper RPG from the series on a Nintendo console ever again. :P

All this is is Square Enix trying something new with Final Fantasy, and I personally think it's a good thing they're trying it out on the 3DS. It sounds intriguing and it could be good, but even if it isn't we know there will be more Final Fantasy games to come for the system.

Samholy

Samholy said:

not bad at all. im sold to anything squareenix anyway.
i liked theyre music based game on ipod, this one will surely have its good times.

goldboy27

goldboy27 said:

okay but please make another finalfantasy game like finalfantasy X to the 3ds and Wii U

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This sounds interesting but I hope its an easier game than Rhythm paradise. I like that game but I'm not that good at it.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Seriously why isn't this sub titled wtf! Why does square treat Nintendo like a second rate company when it comes to final fantasy games. When will they make a legit final fantasy game for there systems. I can see it now for Wii u! Final fantasy in HD for Nintendo titled final fantasy-puzzle quest. Or maybe crystal bearers 2! Heck I would even take a remade final fantasy 7 for either the 3ds or Wii u. Just think of the graphic upgrade it would get.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Tech101
"When will they make a legit final fantasy game for there systems"
Um...Final Fantasy 1-6 ? They were all on Nintendo consoles. And after that ? FF 7-9 were on Playstation, because cartridges couldn hold that much data (remember, ff 7 came on 3, ff 8-9 on 4 discs. 4 discs is roughly 2.8 GB !) FF 10 - 12 came out on PS2 because of what ? you guessed it, storage capassity. Nintendo was always behind other companys in this regard. Maybe the WiiU gets a new, numbered FF game.
But back to the topic: A...rythm game ? Count me out, this isnt my cup of coffee

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@25 Yeah i know about those games but since nintendo and square reunited years ago its been nothing but remakes and off shoot games with final fantasy as the title.

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

no thanks

it sounds like a potentially fun game, but when i hear final fantasy, i want a true RPG, or a true sequel to crystal chronicals

ill take a look at the review when it comes out, but for now, im disinterested

Oregano

Oregano said:

So PSP gets Dissidia and we get this... crap?(there's scans out by the way and it looks like a cheap phone app)

No thanks SE.

JGMR

JGMR said:

All the effort and money spend on this title could've been spend on something way better. Actraiser anyone?

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

THIS is our 3DS Final Fantasy? With the 3DS' power, they could have FF IV: Complete Collection-quality remakes of FF V through IX, "-2" extensions of those games, or Crystal Chronicles even. But, Square is giving us an Apple App Store-style "Final Fantasy: Guitar Hero Edition"? Someone cast Meteor or summon Knights of the Round on me now. Put me out of my misery! Color me NOT interested. Worst news since Nintendo's recent announcement on localization.

Blaze

Blaze said:

yeah it does sound a bit meh, like something you don't really want, could be interesting though!

Popyman

Popyman said:

That...actually sounds really awesome! I hope it's like Gitaroo Man with a Final Fantasy skin.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

gross. rhythm. why don't they just make babysitting/cooking final fantasy. At this point I see this as a pretty clear initial statement that Square Enix's attitude and business plan towards Nintendo products hasn't changed. Hopefully this is just a throwaway offshoot and a nice RPG is still in production.

capitalism

capitalism said:

Sounds horrible. Square, give us a proper numbered Final Fantasy on the 3DS and Wii U and stop messing around with the Crystal Chronicles/Rhythm bullsh*t you keep throwing at Nintendo fans.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

So the whole is worse than the sum of it's parts? Way to go Squennix take two bad games and mishmash them into something worse.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Hmm.. Wow. I don't really have any problem with it for now but I just kinda wanted a regular FF, considering I've never played it, but it seems amazing.

But whatever.

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

A"teething" game for Squeenix, eh? Hopefully they'll get the hang of the 3ds from this and release a better game later.

Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer said:

Well that's pretty disappointing, with the original DS they gave us Final Fantasy III in the beginning, a real FF game.

Sakisa

Sakisa said:

Honestly, that sounds a bit interesting if they could pull it off right.

zionich

zionich said:

Grats to anyone who likes it, are F'N retarted to Square Enix. Course thats just my first reaction, it could be enjoyable.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

holy hell i love rhythm-based games. depending on how it shapes up, i'll probably be giving this a shot :O :O :O

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Yeah... FF7 remake, a FFCC game, translating Seiken Densetsu 3, sending over Soulblazer and Terranigma... These are just a couple of examples of time and resources better spent, Square Enix.

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

Uh, Square Enix, what happened to those 5 and 6 remakes? Tactics Advanced would've been real nice too. I would have settled for CC...

Forget it. I don't think Square even cares. Seems like most FF fans would buy a 60 dollar game of Pong if it had the Final Fantasy name slapped on it.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Ummm... Square Enix, Final Fantasy is suppose to be an RPG, not an MMO, not an action game, not a shooter, not a fighting game, and definitely not a music game. It seems that Square Enix really do not know what else to do with the Final Fantasy brand other than to milk it to other genre.

zeeroid

zeeroid said:

Dude, if this is anything like Elite Beat Agents, which is exactly what I'm envisioning — but instead of your success helping the "Cheerleaders" you help FF characters win battles — this pretty much sounds effing amazing. So much want!