Nintendo Download: 28th July 2011 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Farming, shrines and more

In all the excitement about 3DS price drops and free download games, don't forget your old friend the Nintendo Download. Here's what's available in North America later today.

3DS eShop

Let's Golf! 3D (Gameloft, $6.99) — The eShop's first properly new downloadable game, Gameloft's golfing game features six courses, eight characters and 108 holes in total. We'll take a swing at a review in the coming days.

Wii Virtual Console

Brawl Brothers (Super NES, Jaleco, 800pts) — A decent side-scrolling beat 'em up on a service that's approaching maximum occupancy of that particular genre, tussle with our Brawl Brothers review for an idea of whether this game is worth your points or not.

WiiWare

Burn the Rope (Big Blue Bubble, 1000pts) — The popular iOS game comes to WiiWare with high resolution graphics, Wii Remote motion controls and over 100 levels. Our upcoming review will let you know if it justifies its pretty hefty price tag.

DSiWare

My Australian Farm (BiP Media, 200pts/$1.99) — Strewth mate, a farming game set Down Under! You start with an emu before expanding your farm, hopefully even including a kangaroo to tie down. Expect more incisively employed Australian stereotypes in our future review.

GO Series: Portable Shrine Wars (Gamebridge, 200pts/$1.99) — Carry a shrine on your back, charge past others doing the same and fling your teammates at them to become the best portable shrine carrier there is. Mad we know, but then it's a GO Series game. Our review's coming soon.

Oscar's World Tour (Virtual Playground, 500pts) — A surprise fourth entry in the Oscar platforming series, this sees the little tyke travel the world over seven levels, collecting baby Oscars. We'll dive into a review soon to see if it's — wait for it — Oscar-worthy.

Who's picking up what today, then?

Aviator

Aviator said:

As an Australasian, I feel I am allowed to cute doggy at the Australian Farm description.

Noire

Noire said:

THE 3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE IS DEAD

woe to us and our future generations, pestilence upon our enemy Nintendo

Link79

Link79 said:

No Gameboy games two weeks in a row?
That's some BS.
I guess they don't want to take the attention away from that Golf game
that probably stinks anyway. :(

JayArr

JayArr said:

No VC is so fail (again). Nintendo must be saving it all up to blow that big hot load of 20 free games.

Ren

Ren said:

I'm sure there'll be more, why wouldn't there be? The others are great and it can't be that hard to add another layer of code for an ancient game thats a quarter inch to one side, and maybe a new menu.

I kind of hoped the oscar thing was meaning oscar-the-grouch, not this cheap looking platform thing. It looks more like one of those unlicensed mario knock-offs from the old NES days.

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

Nothing for me today. The golf game kinda seems like shovelware at first glance to me, but I could be wrong. I'll wait for the review and see. As far as VC goes, it's certainly not dead, folks. Don't be so silly. As someone who actually has to pay his money (and not mom and dad's) for these games, as well as paying actual bills in excess, I'm glad they're not overloading my wallet with Mario Lands and Metroid IIs and Kid Icarus:OMAMs right now. Still yet, next week I'd really like to see a good VC title.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

I'm not bothered by the lack of 3DS VC. Nintendo is just purposefully taking some hiatus' early in the game this time so people don't run for their torches and pitchforks in a couple years like with the Wii VC. Now as for today's download, I'm happy there is finally a proper 3DSWare download but I'm still on the fence for buying it....at 5 dollars I'd do it but at 7....this'll take some thought.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I get it now. They're only going to release 3DSWare or 3DS VC in a single week going by what they did this week and last week. If you want more 3DSWare, you have to sacrifice your 3DS VC games. And Brawl Bros. isn't really a great game but had to be released at some point.

You don't have to buy them as soon as they get released. Even if they did release several good games in quick succession, you can be happy knowing that they are released for when you can buy them.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

sigh Nothing for me here. Well, back to waiting for Metroid 2, Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land 1-3, Mole Mania, Mega Man I-V, Kirby's Dreamland 2, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Shantae, Kirby's Star Stacker/Pinball Land/Block Ball/Tilt 'n' Tumble... and that's only on the Game Boy front.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Oregano: That's a lot! Hopefully its also a sign of things to come for 3DS downloads. Certainly puts the DSiWare download cap to shame. I believe the biggest DSiWare game I've ever seen was like 130 blocks. I also hope online play becomes more of a standard thing for downloads. I've got just as many problems with Gameloft as the next guy but I'm happy with where they are starting 3DS downloads at.

Oregano

Oregano said:

Yeh, I hope more games are online in the future. It's a bit of a shame Lets Golf doesn't have online whilst the iphone version does.

...and yeah talking about the download cap if the blocks are the same size(which I'm sure they are) then the size limit for 3DSware is at least 192mb.(probably more)

zionich

zionich said:

I think Ill give this golf game a go. The preview video made it appealing.

MrDanger88

MrDanger88 said:

No 3DS VC again for the second week in a row. What say you, people who always feel the need to defend Nintendo over every single little thing?

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Oregano: What!? The 3DS release doesn't have online?? It was my understanding that it did! Where did you hear this from?
@MrDanger: I say, relax, the good games will come out in good time. Be happy they aren't drying up all the huge games right out of the gate so they can stretch the 3DS VC out better than the Wii one.

Oregano

Oregano said:

@bboy2970: It's right there on its info page it only has two player which is done by handing the system to the other person... I'm not even sure it has wireless local.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Oregano: Well that's a bit disappointing... Not too big of a deal to me personally though since online golf games are usually too long for me. Still would have been nice to have the option though.

zionich

zionich said:

Now do you believe that a majority of people would? I would love to have all the VC games released at once and just make WiWare/DSiWare/3DSWare the weekly releases, but some where someone has decided they make more money by spreding it out, and mixing up the types of games.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Wait....the eShop update already happened in Europe?? Lucky! So is the game like...pretty good? As long as there isn't anything glaringly wrong with it I'll get it. Also, do the in game graphics look like they're bumped up from the IOS version or about the same?

Oregano

Oregano said:

@bboy2970: The full update doesn't appear to have happened yet but Lets Golf was made available to purchase.

It seems like good fun so far and I'm not that familiar with the iphone version(only saw trailers/screenshots) but it appears to look pretty much identical.

timp29

timp29 said:

An australian game? Hopefully it contains extremely dangerous killer wombats, drop bears, assorted dangerous snakes and spides and kangaroos as a form of locomotion.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

How odd that its available right now there. It isn't yet in the NA shop :( Thanks for the early opinion of the game. I think I'll get it come noon :) Oh, one more question, is there some type of career or goal or something that give the game legs or is it just kind of "here are these courses, have fun!"

Oregano

Oregano said:

Yeah there's a career mode and you have to unlock characters and customisation options.

Lets Golf was put in the shop last week here but said "coming soon to the eShop" which was changed at 2pm. It took a while to download with its gigantic size though!

Mike1

Mike1 said:

No 3DS VC again. Hmmm...and Nintendo wonders why their online service doesn't perform as well as they would like.

AlmightyDerek

AlmightyDerek said:

Why is it that everyone always seems to care about just VC. We got an actual 3DS downloadable title for the first time. That's a big deal and although it's nothing amazing, it isn't shovelware. We also got 3 DSi games and a Wii VC title. There's more to life than just playing old games.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Nothing here worth purchasing today. Come on Nintendo, 3DS VC is barely even started and you are already neglecting it - I want my WarioLand 3!!! :|

Birdman

Birdman said:

Maybe Portable Shrine Wars, but that's about it. And no new VCH games in two weeks. At least I'll be an eShop Ambassador!!!

Jahir

Jahir said:

@eirikr: Cierto!! Where's Mario's freaking picross? I was waiting for it ):

This week the eShop isn't very strong, but I don't care 'cause I still got to get Cave Story, Shatae, Xevious and some other games :D

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

when i read "farming" i thought Harvest Moon GB would be in the list of new games.... :(

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

They don't do 3DS VC games when they have a 3DSWare game to promote.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

I might pick up Let's Golf 3D, but I was expecting a $4.99 price tag, instead of a $7 one...

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

I had a bad feeling we wouldn't be getting a 3DS VC game this week. At least we got a Wii VC game. Too bad it's a crappy beatemup. Oh well, at least it's one game closer to Adventure Island II.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

They are taking a break from VC for a while. I can't wait to try out Let's Golf. Insta-buy.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Well I tried to resist for the time being, but I went ahead and downloaded the Let's Golf! 3D game. I was weak, I know. :D

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

No 3DS VC again, this early in it's existence? WEAK!!! Even the dying/dead Wii gets a VC game every other week (including this one). May get Brawl Bros.. Love the good old Final Fight-style beat em up that the SNES was KING of (everybody with a SNES should get the superb Batman Returns any way they can... maybe best movie-to-game ever).

winter123

winter123 said:

Please please stop the DSi shovelware!! There's SO much that it made the DSi store unusable. It's completely flooded the 3DS store, but its a little easier to sift through it now. Bring some high quality 3DSware instead!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

btw, something I noticed (that may or may not've been mentioned by now... I didn't see) is that they didn't use the 3DSWare moniker for Let's Golf. Like Xevious and Excitebike, it says "Nintendo 3DS (Download)". So, makes you wonder if Nintendo's completely abandoning the -Ware for their original download titles starting now.

SunnySnivy

SunnySnivy said:

No virtual console.

Me = sad. I can't wait to get those free games though. I guess it'll be worth the wait.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I don't torture kittens, but if I did, this would probably be the reason. I got some points on my Wii and still nothing good to spend them on!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@sam: Nope but don't let that deter you. This is a really fleshed out great package with very long legs. I've been playing it for over 3 hours and have 25% of the challenges done, 15% of achievements gotten, and just 10% of career done. The gameplay is fairly smooth and the game is quite fun. Plus for your multiplayer fix there is a 2 player mode on the same system, you just pass it back and forth. No online is a shame but the game is still worth every bit of 7 bucks.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

"They don't do 3DS VC games when they have a 3DSWare game to promote."

Why not promote both of them.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@JJOR64: Well I have never had any experience with Let's Golf 2 but from what I've read, that does seem to be the case. Its essentially the IOS version of Let's Golf 2 + button controls + 3D - online play + local same-system 2 player. Also I believe this game is 2 dollars more than the IOS game. I think the pluses and the minuses of each weigh each other out nicely. Definitely a worthy game IMO and a great start to 3DS Downloads!

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

@bboy2970 Agreed. This is a great start for 3DSWare. I can tell that Nintendo is trying to improve on the goodness of the games. This is packed with content.

JJOR64

JJOR64 said:

@bboy2970 It is a bummer that the online got taken out, but oh well. Definitely going to get this when I get off work tomorrow.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Why not promote both of them.

They want 3DSWare to sell. Why promote something that would take away sales?

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

I can't wait until I buy myself a 3DS pre-paid card so I can buy Let's Golf 3D. IGN gave this game a 9/10. It has everything the iphone(or ipod, I can't remember which one it's on) has in it except for the online multiplayer but there is alternating multiplayer on a single 3DS.

ntuxn00

ntuxn00 said:

A lot of you are complaining about the lack of VC games. Why? The shop is still darn well new, and may have at least 24 months in it. That's more than enough time to pleasure your VC needs. If you are disappointed by lack of GB games then please... Buy a Wii and get your fix that way.
thank you for not jumping in for the sole purpose of picking a fight — TBD