European 3DS Price to Drop by a Third, says Nintendo

Posted by James Newton

Free eShop games too

Europe isn't being spared from the latest Nintendo 3DS price drops, as a Nintendo representative has told Eurogamer the machine's price will drop by around a third later this year:

Nintendo of Europe will be reducing the European trade price of Nintendo 3DS to retailers by around a third from 12th August 2011, as part of a global trade price reduction initiative.

This would potentially put the UK price of the console around the £160 mark, or €180. Of course, Nintendo is at pains to point out that retailers set the ultimate price to consumers, so prices may vary from store to store.

European gamers who've already picked up the machine will be compensated with 20 free NES and Game Boy Advance eShop games, just as in North America.

[via eurogamer.net]

Rensch

Rensch said:

Yaaaay! I was thinking about picking one up this summer so this is great news!

U mad, early adopters?

Warioware

Warioware said:

After some effective shopping around I paid about that much anyway so I guess I'm not too fussed!

Warioware

Warioware said:

Having said that, whenever I buy a new console the price seems to drop about a month or two later.....

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Only 180 euros? The system is already available at 190-200 euros right now. A 1/3 reduction from 250 euros would mean 165 euros. A 1/3 from the prices available now to the lowest would be even lower, from 130-150 euros. So this is not a 1/3 reduction like in the States ($170 - 120 euros).

@James: You said this in the American counterpart of this news that, "UK getting a price drop to around £130/£150 so I've heard." Are you sure about that?

jkgatling

jkgatling said:

@2 if it happens to Europe it most likely happens to Australia and such as well, either way THIS IS F?%¤&$G AWESOME!

dimi

dimi said:

Why 170 dollars and 180 euros ffs. 1 euro =1.4446 dollars... Why europeans have to pay so much more than the americans? We got major financial crisis especially in hm..south and we still get to pay more. Anyway its still ok i guess... but still the software sucks..and no just more Mario and some Pit wont save the deal. Get some original JRPG's and not just remakes. And get a western release to some dating sims like new love plus wont hurt you know....

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

The 3DS is £169 on Amazon already. A drop to £160 on there wouldn't make sense. It will definately be lower.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

:o Woah. I can't say I saw such a huge price drop coming. Not to mention the 20 free games (of which ten are GBA), this is fantastic. This will definitely make a difference to the dodgy sales.

Mowzle2

Mowzle2 said:

Oh, GOODY!
That - plus the weekly 3D Oscar's Oasis downloads hope everyone else is enjoying them as much as I am

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES oh baby 20 free games!!!! i am so happy right now. i love you nintendo. 2ß free classic games i cant believe it. this is so awesome. now i am VERY happy i bought my 3DS on launch :)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Bacon_Gal_Blaze

Bacon_Gal_Blaze said:

@WarioWare, yep I managed to get mine for £168 on Launch Day without having to trade anything in so I'm not that fussed, plus, all you who are planning to buy it now will miss out on the 20 free E-Shop games! :-)

motang

motang said:

Much needed to boost sale and not to mention to put up a good front again the onslaught of PS Vita.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Well I managed to pick up my system for around the £170 mark anyway, so I'm not too upset, considering I'm going to get those 20 games for free. Hooray for Yoshi's Island, Mario vs DK, The Legend of Zelda, Mega Microgames, etc etc etc. :D