3DS Could Be Your Ticket to International Museums

Posted by Trevor Chan

Console's educational uses being explored

There's been some interesting dialogue being had within Nintendo. As part of the 3DS's remit to offer unique experiences, it appears Nintendo executives have been exploring ideas that fall outside of the video game category and more within the interactive educational school of thinking.

Educational software is nothing new, but this is something different. Nintendo has had internal discussions on how to offer something that will satisfy the intellectual curiosities of 3DS users, and the company CEO and president Satoru Iwata has given an interesting example of how it can deliver that:

Now this is just an example, but we have been discussing internally in the company how we could make use of Nintendo 3DS to offer the realistic experiences of visiting various museums worldwide.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I guess that's a cool idea depending on if they can make it work. The 3D would probably make the exhibits look cooler at least.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Awesome idea. Next time you dudes are on a date you can tell the girl you are going to visit a museum and bust out your 3DS! She will definitely be impressed by how cultured you are.

I kid, but actually I think that it has potential beyond just museums.

TanookiSteven

TanookiSteven said:

"That sounds like an ambitious goal, but definitely a worthwhile one to pursue. Schools will then be much more inclined to buy 3DS consoles for students than plane tickets, right?" I'm sure I'd be playing the 3DS rather than stay tuned and watch the museum xD

grumblebuzzz

grumblebuzzz said:

I really, really like this idea and it could actually be the beginning of how the 3DS takes off like the DS did. Very unique and interesting premise.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Well, schools buy laptops for their students, so why not? This is actually a neat little idea they're floating.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Hmm... interesting idea they have here, see how it all plans out now I guess...

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

I think this is a very good idea. Imagine a service similar to Google Maps with Street View where you are actually travelling through the museum. I'm sure there are other interesting possibilities beside museums that Nintendo can explore, too. Collaborations with the tourism industry to take users to iconic landmarks, for example.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I could see there being an app you could download where you use the 3DS camera to identify art exhibits at a museum and it'll tell you about them, or something. Sorta like your own personal tour guide? I love going to museums like the MET here in NYC; I'd use my 3DS to improve the experience for sure.

More AR stuff on the 3DS is only a good thing.

timp29

timp29 said:

This is cool, but no challenge to the iPad for educational things.

I would like to see the 3DS used to allow designers to view their projects in 3D (like maybe compiling designs from autocad or something) but that will never happen.

EDIT: @Rensch: I hadn't thought of that! AR would actually be really freaken amazing if they could manage it. Maybe this will give iPad a shake :p

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

@xkaj0x: We do have an awesome lineup now, with Mario, Mario Kart, Starfox, Pacman+GD, RE: Revelations, Kid Icarus, and so much more, how could you not say there is a decent line of 3DS games?

This is a cool idea though.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

This sounds really neat, though. I know some people will look to other mediums for more advanced educational means, but you can't get to the moon if you haven't built the airplane yet.

iphys

iphys said:

I want to see van Gogh's paintings in 3D to see the texture of them, but sculptures would be especially awesome.

Alpha2797

Alpha2797 said:

I think this would work with E3 also. I mean, viewing all press conferences and people demonstrating them would be awesome!

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

By the headline i thought they would give visitors of museums a 3DS for some additional stuff during their visit. And i think Nintendo knows that they have to bring their new handheld baby out in the public as much as possible / as much as makes sense. If they "advertise" StreetPass there too it would be wonderful.

Rather than visiting virtual museums with it i think there are other educational areas the 3DS would be good in. Things like a heavily detailed 3D globe or to show you how your inner organs work. Just something that makes it stand out from the more static museums out there. Show me it works well (by giving demos of it) and i may even give you money for these things.

Samholy

Samholy said:

well... it can be excellent if its put in good hands. it can flop if its put to newbies.

but for sure, i would be more than pleased to have access to worldwide museum exhibition on my 3ds.awesome cultural exchange idea.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I'd love to see the 3DS used as an educational tool and think that videogames as a whole could do more.

Bigrat

Bigrat said:

@#9 YES!

AR Museums! Set a card on the table and have an exhibit of a museum pop up! Ninteendo could make AR card decks for museums, each card, a different exhibit.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Mario Is Missing,...in 3D, & that the game would not be a fail. That would be good edutainment. But I like where this is going, too.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

@29 Kudos on mentioning Mario is Missing :D Maybe I'm in love with what Mario is Missing did for me educationally at the time when I already happened to be studying that stuff in elementary/middle school, or maybe it's because Luigi was in the drivers' seat for the first time in his life? Or maybe it's because it's the closest to us playing a Mario game in the "real world" teased to us in knowledge of Mario being brom Brooklyn, NY, went to Brooklyn once in the Super Mario Bros Super Show, or frequented the "real world" in the SMB3 cartoon. While we're at it, let's get Mario's History in there too :D

capitalism

capitalism said:

This would be f'n awesome and it would be another feature to really set the 3DS apart. Do it Nintendo.