WayForward Pursuing Shantae for 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by James Newton

No promises, though

Shantae: Risky's Revenge introduced countless handheld owners to the hip-shaking half-genie, but those who've tried to track down the game's Game Boy Color prequel will have had quite a shock, its price on auction sites reaching hundreds of dollars.

Developer WayForward often gets asked whether it's planning to bring the GBC romp to 3DS Virtual Console, and the good news is that yes, it is.

WayForward's Facebook page was updated with this message early this morning:

With Game Boy titles now being released on the 3DS eShop, we are frequently asked if we plan on bringing the original ‘Shantae’ to the service.

We have nothing to confirm at this time, but we can say that we are actively pursuing the re-release of ‘Shantae’ on the 3DS Virtual Console. As soon as we have anything to report, we will let you know. Until then, keep an eye on our Facebook and Twitter pages for future updates.

This would certainly be a welcome boost to the 3DS VC's catalogue, but as we all know the process of getting a game approved and released — even a Virtual Console one — is fraught with uncertainties. As soon as we have more on Shantae for Virtual Console, we'll let you know.

[via facebook.com]

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

I own the original. It cost a whole lot, and I thought it was a pretty decent game. Maybe not worth the huge amount I had to pay, but I don't really mind. Game's good either way.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Fantastic, I'm really enjoying the DSiWare version of Shantae and I would love to play the original. I actually was looking at used copies of the game on eBay and similiar sites. But it's way to expensive. So I can't wait on a 3DS VC release.

Winter

Winter said:

Some good news at least this week :) I will buy it if it comes! Haven't gotten quite into the sequel yet, can't find that guy in the forest, but I will :)

MrMagpie

MrMagpie said:

I found the DSiWare sequel to be, frankly, a disappointment, especially after the perfect review it scored here. Can't say I'm too excited.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Please. I don't feel like paying $100 just for a copy of this game.

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

I've been hoping they'd do this. Shantae is still the only good game I've played on the DSiWare, it's a shame I've never been able to play the original (I don't think it was even released in Europe).

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

Oh yes please, and if you can with some 3D effects added, the more the merrier!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

They will... there's no GOOD reason for it NOT to, no licensing fees, no multiple rights, etc.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I think it would be pretty safe to say this has to be one of the most wanted titles to show up on Virtual Console for sure. It definately is for me anyway. Glad to see the wheels are in motion at least.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

just got riskys revenge on 3ds its highly enjoyable would get the 1st one if that came too

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

@Straw_Hat_Luffy: It doesn't mean as much if I only just woke up. ^^;

I'm gonna enjoy it when it comes out on 3DS VC. In the mean time, though, I'll be enjoying it on my GBC (well Game Boy Player for GameCube, technically...). And yes, I'm seriously gonna buy it again for 3DS. _

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Oh yeah! I honestly didn't enjoy the DSiware one that much. It was really nice, but my expectations were too high because of all the hype it got. I'd be willing to give it another chance though. The amount of combat moves sound like a lot more in the GBC version compared to DSiware and the screenshots look nice. So I'd probably buy this. (before Corbie's review so my expectations aren't sky high again,of course.)

Link79

Link79 said:

I only recently got to play this and loved it. I like it much better than the Dsiware sequel. I can't wait for this on 3DS VC! Without a doubt the best GBC game I ever played!

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I hope it comes to the 3DS VC because I never played this game before. I really like the Dsiware sequel.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I hope it does, because it costs at least $70 on ebay if you can even find a copy. I'm still kicking myself a decade later knowing I saw a new copy in store but didn't buy it because it looked like a girls game.

Also I can't find a good emulator I can use with a flashcart to run the game without massive slowdown, so really this is the only option for me.

Also releasing that Wendy Witch game on VC would be nice too Wayforward! :D

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

There is seriously nothing not to like about Shantae. She's cute an sexy, she's got attitude, and she turns into a monkey. I wasn't a huge fan of the DSiWare one, too much xploration, not my cup of tea. The GBC one is more straightforward, a lot like Aladdin for Genesis. Excellent...

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

@Shinobi88

So what's there to not like again? :P

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Day one download for me! (provided I own a 3DS and have enough credit when that day comes, of course!).

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

The first Shantae was stiff and a little too difficult, but if the people want it, I say let them have it.

SennaKurosaki

SennaKurosaki said:

There is really no reason, no reason at all and no excuse whatsoever, not to bring out the original Shantae game of the 3DS Virtual Console. It will be an instant hit, I'm sure! (Also it should be a world-wide simultaneous release! Don't make Europe wait for months while Japan and America are already having fun!)

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

This game was so much fun, I'd be willing to take it for another spin (provided there is some way to make your genie more "advanced" in the final town).

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

It's March 2012!
No more news have been said about this... I'm replaying Risky's Revenge once more, so enjoyable! We all want Shantae (GBC) to be released. I hope this can be a reality soon!!! I've read there was a special secret transformation into a Tinkerbat if you played the game in a GBA. I wish this one it's included as well in the VC version!!
Can't wait!! =D =)