This GameStop Really, Really Loves Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Posted by James Newton

The best merchandising ever?

In recent years, midnight launches have become the preserve of the "mature" gamer, which the likes of Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War and more packing in crowds desperate to get their hands on the latest shooters; with the exception of hardware, it's rare to hear of a midnight launch for a Nintendo game, but one GameStop store is going all-out to celebrate Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D's launch.

The GameStop in Ellijay, Georgia has possibly the finest Zelda display we've ever seen, packing its shelves with Keaton masks, Lon Lon milk, Poes, Bombchus and all manner of other Zelda-related items and knick-knacks, all hand-made by store staff themselves.

If you know of any store who's doing more to celebrate Ocarina of Time's return to gaming relevance, be sure to let us know — drop us a line using the Contact form.

[via gonintendo.com]

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

Oh they used the original mirror shield <3

Weren't the yellow lock on triangles used for enemies?

Also... Derpy Goron ftw!

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

someone should play the chest music while receiving the game or pretend to go over the counter like young link goes over the big chest to get the item :P

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That's awesome, if only my local Gamestop was that dedicated. One of their casheirs is excited about the game, but I don't know if he would have been excited enough to make crafts of every Ocarina of Time item and character you can think of. That lock-on thing that they did is really over the top, as well as the Master Sword and random Gold Skulltula. I imagine they would play the shop music during the day Ocarina of Time 3D releases.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Nice! I'll definitely be at my local GS tonight for my copy of O0T. Maybe they will have some kinda special setup there.

3DS

3DS said:

the game is amazing i have already spent 1 hour 40 mins on and it is amazing

Squid

Squid said:

Haha, the shop theme from Zelda was in my head as I read this. xD

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

thats dedication ive clocked 14 hours on my oot im at forest temple its top notch!!

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Man, they really went all out. It looks amazing, and I have no doubt the store speakers will be playing the shop music on "Z" day...

Ellijay, huh? I wonder if Hellish Jay will be there...

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

I've missed out on a bunch of Zelda games over the years so I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that Link has never used a bottle of window cleaner to battle his foes.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

@24: That's what I thought too. And to think that this is in a small Georgia city intstead of New York City or LA. One thing's for sure, the South sure is in the Nintendo mood what with that motel in Alabama turning into a Nintendo theme park.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Man,my gamestop isn't even having a midnight launch. The employees just got some cool special case for their 3DS. Now I'm more worried I won't get the free soundtrack CD...

JayArr

JayArr said:

I don't remember a bright blue spray bottle of glass cleaner being a item in Zelda.

Tar

Tar said:

Wow, Something on NL that is actually near me. This is the one I go to if the other two nearest ones don't have what I'm looking for.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Wow, best promotional push ever!
Now if they put this much effort to promote more games, sales would be way up without a doubt.
I would love to walk into a Gamestop and see like a fullblown MadWorld display.
Everything is black and white, blood everywhere, chainsaws...yeah, you know what I mean.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Jesus; those guys, whoever they are, are serious Zelda super fans. That's an awesome sight to see though, if you recall any shop from a Zelda game ever:) Stunts like that make Gamestop seem almost tolerable. Good job, "this one specific Gamestop!"

Toad64

Toad64 said:

Shoot, I work at a GameStop, but all I'm doing is bringing in the Zelda cartoons to play at work! Now I feel lazy! But man, that display is crazy awesome.

Also, been staring at the box full of Zelda games for like 5 days now, can't wait to take it home tomorrow!

Imperfect

Imperfect said:

the bottle is obviousley used to fight ganondorf and his shadow. Sure, link could play light ball of death tennis with him with his sword, but why use that when you have a bottle?

timp29

timp29 said:

There is a shop in Brisbane city with a life sized link statue. I really should get a photo with it.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

It looks so great!

...And then you speak to the people working there.

And then you go home and order the game on Amazon.

GuarinoMatt

GuarinoMatt said:

I hate being from Italy sometimes; all you can find here is soccer, soccer and soccer again. No chance if you have any other interests than soccer.

Denkou

Denkou said:

OH MY GOSH. this gamestop now has the most lethal thing in existence. Think about the possibilities! America can win any war now with the power that lies inside this very store! All that can be accomplished by one single item for sale in that very shot: the CUCKOO.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Thing is, people are gonna walk in and want to buy that stuff, seriously.
It's set up like the bazaar.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I wonder how the Nintendo World store in NYC looked today!!

Tri4ceHolder

Tri4ceHolder said:

Today is the day when video games take one giant leap. Today is the day when you can play as Link, Portable, and in full 3D. When the greatest video game/Pop Culture piece, leaps on to the Nintendo 3DS, with new, and eye popping content. Today, is when Ocarina of Time 3D, is released.

Skotski

Skotski said:

It's rare any GameStop gets to keep its personality.
So, Thumbs Up to this GameStop!!! :) Keep on truckin'! Don't let the corporate side turn you into media-zombies like the other stores!

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

My Gamestop had some cool stuff set out in the front counter. There was a shelf with bombs, shields, and the master sword and they had the triangles hanging around places. Looks like it was a big celebration.

JakobG

JakobG said:

Did anyone notice that RC controller next to the Bombchu?
I bet it's remote controlled, awesome!

VicYoungblood

VicYoungblood said:

Dear god... I have a mountain house up in Ellijay... I've been to that GameStop numerous times... HOW THE EFF DID I MISS THIS?! ;___; Great, two midnight launches I've missed this year (DN Forever and this.) ;3;

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Great stuff. If one of my local GameStops was doing this, I might just show up and get the game (even though I don't have a 3DS yet).

I especially like the remote-controlled bombchu. ;)