Tetris Gets an ESRB Rating for the 3DS

Posted by Trevor Chan

The blocks just keep on falling

Gamers still can't get enough of Tetris games. At least that's what Tetris Online seems to think, because a recent classification from the Entertainment Software Rating Board reveals we're in for more screen-filling tetromino fun that's as challenging as it is addictive.

The ESRB rating shows that Tetris is coming to the 3DS by way of Tetris Online ― who also published Tetris Party and Tetris Party Live, but whether it's a brand new retail entry in the franchise or a 3DS Virtual Console title remains unclear. Given that EA recently published a new, updated Tetris game on the PlayStation Network and App Store, it's entirely possible that 3DS gamers could look forward to a contemporary 3DSWare release.

It's worth mentioning that Hudson was supposed to be developing six 3DS titles, one of which was a Tetris game. With the company's recent absorption into Konami, the fate of these projects are still to be determined.

[via esrb.org]

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope its a new 3DSware game, if not then I would rather the original Game boy title than pay full price for a retail tetris.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Honestly, it's hard to care about any Tetris release after Tetris DS created what is, for me, the definitive Tetris package.

You just can't really top that one, and I still have own it. Break it up for download and I might be tempted.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Please make it download, please make it download... And please fill it with different modes and online compatibility! Playing against others online can be really fun, as long as you don't have to play against bots all the time, like in Tetris Battle.

Despair1087

Despair1087 said:

hey are gameboy and gameboy color games going to suport multiplayer? theres no link cable port on my 3DS lol

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Please let it be the Game Boy classic! I lost my copy of it ages ago and I miss the Tetris music so!

Yasume

Yasume said:

The GameBoy version is after all these years still the best. I will probably get it when it his the eShop (assuming it will eventually) even though I still have my original copy.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

Don't they understand that the Game Boy version is what people are dying to play. Ideally, they'd release it on the virtual console. Or they could make a retail Tetris game with the Game Boy version as an unlockable.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Was thinking about the article picture. If only people were more like tetrominoes. Get so many of them in a like-colored shirt to stand in a row and they disappear! Which would be especially helpful in large crowds (IE Christmas shopping) and grocery store lines. Would be even better if you could extend the concept to cars! Make traffic better...

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I dont know if I play Tetris I have to play it on my Original gray "brick" Gameboy. Playing it any other way just seems weird to me.