Surprise, SEGA Bringing High Definition Sonic to Wii U

Posted by James Newton

Pick your jaw off the floor

While SEGA won't be bringing Sonic Generations to Wii U — though the 20th anniversary hedgehog game is coming to 3DS — the blue-and-white company has confirmed its iconic hero will be racing to Wii U in high definition.

SEGA West president Mike Hayes revealed to Games Industry.biz that the publisher is looking at ways to transfer its HD offerings across to Nintendo's new home console.

That controller is absolutely brilliant and we have to think of innovative ways to use it. We're doing high definition Sonics, we're doing obviously Aliens: Colonial Marines, so you can bring them across, and that's relatively low cost, which is good news. Then you spend your money on how do you use that controller effectively to make it unique and differentiate it.

It's promising to see SEGA's plans to translate its 360 and PS3 offerings across to Wii U include investing in using the controller well, particularly as it seems the console itself is at least on a par with Microsoft's and Sony's current machines.

How would you bring Sonic to Wii U? Spreading a little wider, what other SEGA franchises would you like to see on the new console? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

[via gamesindustry.biz]

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

Maybe Sonic Colors 2 on Wii U? As for other Sega francises, Shenmue 3 and Jet Set 3... please?

2-D

2-D said:

They said 'We're doing high definition Sonics, we're doing obviously Aliens: Colonial Marines, so you can bring them across'. What else are they going to bring across? It's not going to be the 2006 one, the werehog hit Wii too. We already know Sonic 4 will be on it, that much is obvious. I don't see what else they could be talking about, to be honest!

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

This shouldn't be a surprise. No doubt we will get a new HD Sonic on Wii U eventually. The more I hear the Wii U is on par with 360 and PS3 the more sad I get. The thing is going to be outdated when the other console's successors come out!

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Whenever you stream the game onto the screen, the graphics would go old school :O That would be awesome :D

Squid

Squid said:

POW, HA-HA! You are high-def! Not big surprise... (if you know this TF2 reference, you win an imaginary cookie)

Punny

Punny said:

I want a game that controls like Sonic Colors/Sonic Generations modern stages. There's no doubt this new Sonic game will look incredible. Assuming it follows in the footsteps of the console versions of Sonic Generations, I will be drooling buckets. The gameplay should be fun, too.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This is great news but that picture made me think that the article was about Sonic generations coming to wii U so I was a little disappointed when I saw that it was the Sonic series in general since it was inevitable that the series would be released on the wii U at some point. I would really like the full Sonic generations on a nintendo console, not just the inferior 3DS version. Speaking of other sega games coming to wii U, Bayonetta would be good, that game looks awesome and maybe a HOTD: overkill sequel or a new Ristar on wiiuware.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Well, it's not a shocker, but it's definitely not bad news. That screenshot does look a little too Sonic Generations-like, though.

KrazyBean

KrazyBean said:

@18
Because it IS a Sonic Generations screenshot...

To topic: Well, this was a no brainier...obviously a Sonic game will come out for the Wii U, at least some Nintendo fans can finally stop arguing about Sonic Generations coming to Wii U.

I personally can't wait to see a Sonic game on the PS4/Xbox 720 which will use the full power of the Hedgehog Engine...here's a fact, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations are actually using only half the power of the Hedgehog Engine, can you imagine how good a Sonic game can look if it uses all it's power?! The graphics could be like Crysis level!

But a Wii U Sonic is pretty cool too and I can't wait to see what it'll be. =)

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'm still waiting on Space Channel 5 and a Samba De Amigo that controls perfectly. I'll add Shenmue and Skies Of Arcadia to that list as well. Anything with Segata Sanshiro would be nice too. <3

melechofsin

melechofsin said:

@9 - I don't know where you're hearing that. If it's this article, then it's just an un-sourced, irresponsible comment that makes no sense. Recent reports said that it's 50% stronger, and it's probably much more than that. Also, there's no guarantee that it will be outdated by the time any other consoles come out if and when.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I don't think it's necessary to put that "at least on par with Sony and Microsoft's current offerings" since there is no solid information on it, but whatever. When WiiU comes out, I'll be happy anyhow.

I really want to see Sonic Adventure 3. SEGA has been recently been making great Sonic games and I would love to see them put together the 3rd Adventure game. Those were the best 3D Sonics anyways.

KrazyBean

KrazyBean said:

@23
...Sorry but I have to disagree on that. Sonic 4 physics for Classic Sonic, super linear level design for both Sonic's and mediocre graphics are NOT in the HD version. The 3DS version is nowhere near on par with the HD versions.

There are still 5 months left until Generations is out so SEGA might prove me wrong.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I also thought this would be about Generations coming to Wii U. That would have been a no-brainer. They could just use the new controller to play the game NSMBWiiU style when the TV is blocked.
If that game turns out well it would be a first sign of SEGA taking WiiU seriously imo.
On the other hand Sonic Colours has been great so far ... :|

Kirk

Kirk said:

Well I'd just make sure I don't force anything in that doesn't need to be there.

If Sonic doesn't need any extra crap on the second screen then simply allows us to use it so we can play away from the TV if we want.

Assuming Nintendo makes the damn thing work at a long enough range that we could take it to our rooms for example.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@24 I ment graphics wise
because I cant see HD I can see 3D but not HD

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Well, keep doing the 2D and 3D hybrid thing, but when the gameplay shifts to 2D, send it to the controller screen. I mean, that's purely a cosmetic addition, but it still would be something....

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I still don't get why Sonic Generations isn't coming to Wii in any form whatsoever. If the 3DS can handle it, so can the Wii.

Henmii

Henmii said:

It's a confusing article. To me it says that future Sonics will also arrive on wii u, though we probably won't see Sonic Generations. Wich is still a bummer!

Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer said:

Since there were a ton of Sonic games on the Wii this comes as no surprise, Sonic Generations on the other hand would of been great.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Any chance we'll get some high quality Sonic titles? High definition is great, but an HD bad game is still in the end a bad game.

Bensei

Bensei said:

An improved Sonic 2006. I really liked that game, but the bugs ruined it.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Any decent Sonic title for Wii-U will be good thanks Sega.

SuperSonic

SuperSonic said:

SONIC ADVENTURE 3!!!
SONIC UNLEASHED/COLORS 2!!!
Sonic The Hedgehog 5??? (With the continuation of the epic Genesis Sonic Series and graphics of Generations!)

Resident Evil 6???

raedjhn

raedjhn said:

for me i give up from sonic games :( but still good news for sonic fans thou

AVahne

AVahne said:

Seems to me that some of the developers themselves, Sega for example, have absolutely no idea what the power of the Wii U is

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

LOL More ports kiddies! :p
Still, Sonic Generations is mind blowing graphically....

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

WhatEVER you do SEGA, don't force it onto this game or any game for the sake of it... none of us are trying to see another wagglefest generation again...

Pj1

Pj1 said:

They Sega could give us Sonic generations for the new Nintendo console, but I bet they will choose not to, havn't they all ready said that. They are focusing all their attention to Sonic Generations and they should spilit their time with that and Sonic 4 episode 2, I reckon that will come on thursday......

Pod

Pod said:

I'm not following.

The only sonic HD game aside from Generations, which isn't released on Wii....

Is Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, and that game is way beyond terrible.

If this news is about them picking back up that festering pile of garbage and reissuing it to Nintendo gamers, then my jaw would only be on the floor out of pure refined disgust.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@Pod,

They must have some real guts if they do that, and I don't mean that positive. Personally I don't think that will happen!