Super Mario 3DS Has a Zelda-Style Dungeon Level

Posted by James Newton

Two legends collide

You've hopefully watched the trailer for Super Mario on 3DS, but one thing you won't have seen is a level created in honour of The Legend of Zelda's 25th anniversary this year.

During the developer roundtable, Super Mario producer Yoshiaki Koizumi revealed a top-down stage that mimics the dungeon layout from Link's first outing. It can be seen briefly in the video below, which also contains some other interesting tidbits of information: the origin of the Tanooki Suit's flying ability and the revelation that Shigeru Miyamoto's official Mii wears gold pants. Don't miss it.

Popyman

Popyman said:

That's awesome! So far that's the only thing about this game that looks remotely interesting for me...

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

wow i couldnt see any nintendo network this year. i dont know why. the official nintendo strem worked.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Maybe in the next Metroid game, Samus will find a discarded red cap with the letter 'M' on it while exploring the galaxy... :D

Miyamoto's just like everyone else, he puts his (golden) pants on one leg at a time...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I suppose tails are so fluffy that they must be good for flying?

Anyway, that top-down Mario level looks very interesting!

MrMagpie

MrMagpie said:

Well, considering the amount of Mario references in Link's Awakening, it's nice to see the debt being repaid :p

Punny

Punny said:

Huh! Usually it's the Zelda games that make references to Mario games, not the other way around. Still, it makes for a cool cameo. :)

DJ_Triforce

DJ_Triforce said:

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time both have Mario references (I'm sure there are more), but I can't think of any Zelda references in a Mario game to date. This is very interesting. :)

Also, I wonder if the Tanooki suit will be able to turn to stone.

And when will we see a return of the Kuribo shoe?

Tri4ceHolder

Tri4ceHolder said:

I think advertisers should pay you just for making articles. I mean, the ads on the side don't make me wanna buy a game,you guys do!

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

In Paper Mario Thousand-Year Door, one Toad kid says he's been playing Fire Emblem on his GBA.

Not a Zelda reference though.

Just10

Just10 said:

I wonder if they kept the Super Mario paintings in Hyrule Castle in the Ocarina remake.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Yay Professor Gadd is back! I love listening to him ramble about his inventions. X3

Henmii

Henmii said:

Nice video! Putting a hommage to the first Zelda level of the first Zelda is a nice touch!

What do you guys think of the siren world of Skyward sword? It looks like the Twilight realm, with the different colorscheme. It also has a Ph and St touch, because if you get hit you immediately die. But it also has the wolf-section inspiration because you have to collect tears of light. And that worries me, because the wolf-sections from Twilight princess where very lineair and boring. However, I saw a flower at the top of the Tears of light vessel, so there is probably more to it. And I heard that when the enemies come after you, the blue-ish realm turns into a brown-ish realm. Interesting.

@Scribbler,

Cool! Just when I thought I knew everything! I had never seen this before. Hence the name of the site being very appropriate!

"think theres some zelda stuff on new animal crossing too"

That's true! And about that matter: Is it a coincidence that at first the boy had a blue and white striped sailor thing on. Isn't that a reference to Windwaker? It immediately reminded me of one of the pirates!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

These overhead levels look incredible. This game just oozes with charm and originality and I personally can't wait to play the finished product. :D

castor

castor said:

Miyamoto's translator is similar to Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age/Them Crooked Vultures lol

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Super Mario 3DS looks even more impressive in 3D. For people here that have a 3DS, by all means get the video off the eShop.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

That's cool! Last ref I know of is like onsokurmaru already said ~ Link, & Samus in SMRPG.

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

Remember the sidescrolling, goomba stomping part in Link's Awakening?

I guess Mario's finally returning the favor.

Scribbler

Scribbler said:

@Henmii I hope it's more inspired by A Link to the Past's dark world than it is Twilight Princess's twilight realm. ALttP felt much bigger and more dimensional with the inclusion of the dark world, whereas the addition of the twilight realm in Twilight Princess seemed to be added for the sake of buffering gameplay. But this is Miyamoto's Zelda rather than Anouma's, so maybe we'll see some solid connections and multi-dimensional gameplay rather than just an extra tacked-on map.

@DJ_Triforce I thought I saw a Kuribo's Shoe somewhere mixed in with the footage. Maybe I dreamed it. But did anyone notice that a few of those goombas in the Super Mario 3D trailer were actually "tanoombas" (tanooki-goombas)? I don't think we've seen those guys since the AlphaDream developed Mario & Luigi games. Now THAT'S a shout-out.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Hmm, sounds interesting. Nice to see some Zelda cameos in a Mario game for once.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Reminds me of how there are some Mario elements in Link's Awakening (A Chain Chomp somewhere, a Yoshi doll, some Goombas...)

Henmii

Henmii said:

@Scribbler,

Well, we just have to wait and see! I am not so sure if this is Miyamoto's Zelda. Aonuma is again the producer. Of course Miyamoto has some involvement with it, but not so much as in the first Mario galaxy (I think).

"But did anyone notice that a few of those goombas in the Super Mario 3D trailer were actually "tanoombas" (tanooki-goombas)?"

Yeah, that's very cool!

"I thought I saw a Kuribo's Shoe somewhere mixed in with the footage"

I didn't see it, but it would be cool!

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

25th Anniversary for Mario was last year and Super Mario Galaxy 2 came out it make sense for the Octagoombas to appear in the game including that Lava Octapus.