Sakurai "In Talks" to Bring Original Kid Icarus to 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Another 3D Classic on the way?

Masahiro Sakurai's long-awaited Kid Icarus: Uprising is coming to 3DS around Christmas this year, and impatient gamers are looking towards Pit's previous outings to plug the gap. Wii owners can already play Kid Icarus on Virtual Console, but will 3DS owners get a downloadable slice of Pit too?

A recent IGN interview with Masahiro Sakurai pitched readers' questions to the producer, with one user asking if the original NES version would be included in the 3DS cartridge, receiving a "no comment" from Sakurai. How about a 3D Classics version, though? Sakurai says:

As far as it appearing on the Virtual Console, it's very possible and I've been in some talks regarding that recently.

The original Kid Icarus was released on Game Boy Advance in Japan, but as Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters launched in North America and Europe — but not Japan, strangely — in the early 1990s it would be a pretty safe bet for a Virtual Console release on 3DS.

Would you like to see a 3D Classic revamp of the original Kid Icarus? Let us know in the comments below.

[via uk.ds.ign.com]

Related Games

Lan

Lan said:

i'm sorry, but i don't want him to say anything that isn't about smash bros :P

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Myths and Monsters cleaned up a lot of the annoying issues about the original NES game. For instance, now you can actually scroll DOWNWARDS, the hammers have a use in EVERY level, not just every fourth level, and the NPCs actually explain HOW your powerups are activated.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

might be on cartridge but money wise they probably put it on eshop either way ill have a bash

MF_MaxiMillion

MF_MaxiMillion said:

Honestly, Kid Icarus is already on the way for a full 3D game and not just some "remastered" VC game in 3D. I haven't seen some good stuff on the 3D Classics yet, so I'm not voting for that.

There's no problem to release it for the VC, however.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Why not. But Of Myths and Monsters should be brought to the 3DS' VC before that. Since we already got the original Kid Icarus on the Wii's VC recently.
If it was uncluded in Uprising it would be even better though. :)

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Yes, It would be wonderful to have both games on the eShop! If I remember right, the first Kid Icarus was in a 3D tech demo at last year's E3, so it should be clear that they whould make it downloadable. If Sakurai says they're in talks, then at least they are considering it. I had a small concern that since it wasn't released in Japan, Of Myths and Monsters wouldn't be released again. But since eShops have different content for each region, it should be on NA and EU shops. Thing is, Japan shouldn't miss out on it again, so they could finally give it a try too.

Samholy

Samholy said:

yes yes !
so far, the VC dispoints me. i mean, i will probably get zelda when i feel like playing a zelda, but marioland is way overpriced, donkey kong too.

excitebike was fun the day it launch, but i didnt put much hours in it yet. good for the nostalgia feeling, but 5 dollars for an hour or 2 is too much. they already gained their bucks years ago with them, why dont they cut the price in half so people can enjoy them for the sake of it. i wont get much virtual console because of that, what a shame.

its the kind of thing you want a lot of, and spending 40 dollars for 6 or 7 oldies is crazy. i can find them for 99cents at my local store, original version. maybe not kid icarus, this one seems rare

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

*@EarthBoundBenjy

Of Myths and monster was actually a dissapointment for me....Pit falls and platforming don't exactly apply to this one, you can't fall to your death because the main stages scroll endlessly so there's never any nead to make pixel perfect jumps and watch your timing.

But I loved the emphasis on the Mallet, and the Dungeons and bosses were pretty solid. B-)

But Of Myths and Monsters main stages are pretty weak sauce compared to the original, not only that but the soundtrack and SFX don't capture the magic of the Nes Title either. Both have their streangths and weaknesses, but i still prefer the original. One of my favorite games of all time.

And I'm sure Nintendo will release Kid Icarus in 3D, spaced out closesly with Myth's and Monsters on the 3DS's VC a bit before Uprising's Launch. It would be stupid not to, considering we haven't seen a KI sequal in centuries, so Nintendo may treat it as a celebration of sorts. :D

dinkelberg

dinkelberg said:

nooo please bring kirbys avdenture on the 3DS ESHOP and the kid icarus game on the gameboy i need them asap. if i got them i would been very happy. Super Mario land 2 would been even more awesome

photofool83

photofool83 said:

This is EXCELLENT news!! I was hoping for a sequel in the style of Mega Man 9 & 10 but this would be awesome as well. I was just playing Kid Icarus last night on the Wii. It is by far one of the best classic NES games. And PLEASE release Myths and Monsters on VC for the 3DS. I would buy a 3DS just for that!!

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Cool I guess, though I honestly didn't find the original Kid Icarus that good, but to each their own. The most software the better.

BarrenMind

BarrenMind said:

Myths and Monsters is the news I want to hear. I'm not sure if there's an OG game boy title I played more obsessively.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I wouldn't worry about Japan not getting Of Myths and Monsters. They'll probably get it as an import title before we see it here in the US.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I've been pining for KI:oMaM and feel it will be a shoe in to appear on 3DS faster than the original. In fact, announcement or not, I'm anticipating it since we've gotten Mario's first GB romp, Link's first GB, and DK's first GB (nevermind the the DKL games for a moment :P) that both KI:oMaM and Metroid II:RoS are due almost "next", but don't quote me on that. I mean, Nintendo is on track to release a game from each of their mascots at this point, and I can't wait for these two.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm not too bothered about seeing it as a 3D classic as its already on the wii vc but it would still be pretty good if they did release it as a 3D classic but I would rather of myths and monsters was released on 3DS vc.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

nice i hope it does come on the 3DS i never manage to finish it on the vc wii because it was either difficult due to a challenge or item which kept me dieing and starting all over

so in other words i hope this has a save feature like the gameboy and gameboy color games :P then i'll get it

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

@ 26 and 27 Indeed! :)
I'll calm down, don't wanna get myself TOO excited for this Thursday, but I really think that's what Nintendo is doing... maybe it will be Kirby next... faints from anticipation

Spoony

Spoony said:

I am not a fan of the original NES version of Kid Icarus. But I would support any NES game going 3D so bring it on!!!!

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Maybe we'll see a Kid Icarus themed week on the eShop with the 3D Classic and the Game Boy VC game around the time the new game comes out.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I don't think I even need to answer this question, as everyone here already knows my answer! ;)

AnotherWorld

AnotherWorld said:

i'd much rather see a release of doom in 3d. 3d side scrolling games make little to no sense to me. how about a 3d-3d world runner release? doesn't that make a bit more sense?

Tylr

Tylr said:

Yes, please, Nintendo.

Just make the game less frustrating and moreplayable, please.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"The original Kid Icarus was released on Game Boy Advance in Japan, but as Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters launched in North America and Europe — but not Japan, strangely"

So Japan never saw the second Kid Icarus? Yeah, that's pretty strange!

Link79

Link79 said:

I liked the Gameboy sequel much more than the Nes original.
If anything bring that to 3DS VC. I really don't think I'd care for a 3D version of the first one. It's way too frustrating and not much fun all.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Hm..

"No comment" to the "Will the original Kid Icarus game be in Uprising?"

So, there's a good chance it will be, as "No comment" usually means "Yeah, but I'm not going to say it for sure".... or something like that lol

Skogur

Skogur said:

I got this for the NES and I love it, the hardest bit is the beginning because you start off with so little health.

MegatronD

MegatronD said:

Metroid/Super Metroid as a 3D classic please. On topic: Kid Icarus would be nice.