Rumour: Nintendo to Reveal New Zelda Game at E3

Posted by James Newton

Will it be for Café?

Plenty of things in life get lost in translation, but hopefully this isn't one of them. French website Power-Nintendo has a correspondent in Japan, who recently attended a live event for Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. According to the website, Zelda overlord Eiji Aonuma let slip a big secret slip: we'll see a new Zelda at E3.

While such a statement is out of character for Nintendo's higher-ups, with the company's new home console set to be unveiled it wouldn't be a surprise to see Link make an appearance alongside it. According to P-Nintendo, the game will be part of the Zelda 25th anniversary celebrations, pointing to a release sometime this year.

With Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword both scheduled for release this year, would a third Zelda game be overkill? Let your thoughts be known in the comments section below.

[via p-nintendo.com]

erv

erv said:

Well, considering the average french ability to interpret foreign languages, doesn't this just sound like skyward sword...?

Portista

Portista said:

It doesn't sound like it'll happen. I think Nintendo has enough good games coming out this year, so they'll probably release a new Zelda game next year (if any).

skywake

skywake said:

I'm guessing they'll do a LttP remake for the e-Shop and show off an early project Cafe Zelda trailer. Who knows though, 3DS Zelda? Why not?

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Zelda: Ocarina of Time Part 1
Zelda: Majoras Mask Part 2
Zelda: ??? Part 3
You heard it here first

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

It's probably gonna be a remake of a Zelda game a bit newer than Ocarina... Here's to hoping that it'll be Windwaker! :) Just imagine all that cellshaded glory in 1080p! Xd

Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer said:

Maybe this has something to do with that Zelda Universe that was registered for an ESRB rating?

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't true becasue we've already got OOT3D and skyward sword and a third zelda seems unlikely. If it is true, its probably just a collection for the 25th anniversary. Also, if its out this year then it can't be for the wii successor since nintendo said that the wii successor would be out next year.

taffy

taffy said:

I would love it if they re-did Wind Waker to support 480p and motion plus controls.

JayArr

JayArr said:

Wind Waker 3D

If not that, most likely a new Celda game. It's been about a couple years since Spirit Tracks.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Its Zelda Generations! Classic Link and Morden Link team up in 2D and 3D levels of the Zelda series and...

Oh, that idea's been taken.

Ai64

Ai64 said:

Another Zelda game? Awsome! Might it be a improved and longer remake of the NES game? :D

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

We have two Zeldas coming out this year alone (unless Skyward Sword is delayed, because that's what Nintendo loves to do). One was announced and one might as well have just been announced last year. Extremely unlikely, really...
WIND WAKER REMAKE, I'M BEGGING YOU I'LL DO ANYTHING!!

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

Three Zelda games in 1 year? That's got to be a first. I'm interested in what Nintendo have in plan for the 25th anniversary and whether it will be something new or a collection or re-release. I'm really more excited about a new HD Zelda for Wii 2 than Skyward Sword, but that could be a long time away.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That would be a little unorthodox if Zelda was the headline game for the Wii's successor. Sure, Twilight Princess was for the Wii, but it was also for Gamecube too, so I'm talking about an original game. Then again, if this is true, then it might be the Zelda 25th Anniversary Edition. E3 will reveal all!

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

It would be interesting to see Nintendo Remake the first NES game in 3D. They've remade Ocarina of time so they might start doing more of this sort of thing now.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

It's already been hinted at during GDC that this new Zelda may be similar to Four Swords as Miyamoto "wants to bring a community of Zelda fans together" with the 25th Anniversary installment.

Mark my words, it will be a Four Sword variant. :P

Zeldaterasu

Zeldaterasu said:

As much as I wish it were true, I'm skeptical. Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time 3D are already more Zelda than we're used to seeing in a single year. Maybe next year a 3DS Zelda will be announced, but I still wouldn't expect a release for another year after that.

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

I think it'll be another of the plethora of toon link games appearing on the handhelds. Slow down Nintendo and just make one or two really good ones!

If they didn't work on so many Zeldas at once these days, maybe they'd finally better Ocarina rather than just remaking it.

thebluelight1

thebluelight1 said:

I still feel that Skyward Sword is new since it ain't out yet :P If it's a totally new one however, it takes years to make Zelda games, they could show one screenshot of a Cafe game and have that be it. I would expect this to be 25th Aniv. related like a Wii disc with every Zelda on it, I'm fairly sure a dual layered disc could handle that. That or Majora's Mask HD done by Grezzo again. I love the guessing game they make us play :)

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

My guess it will be either a 3DS Title in the works, or perhaps something special involving the 25th anniversary.
These seem the more likely of the two .
Eh, but my guess is something involving the anniversary.

Rathe

Rathe said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Skyward Sword for the Cafe. The same thing happened to Twilight Princess. TP was originally meant for the Gamecube (and was actually meant to be a Wind Waker sequel). Miyamoto was unhappy with what the game was becoming (and the Regginator complained that the cartoony style hurt North American sales) so they decided to completely remake the game. By that point, the Wii was gaining steam in house and was getting ready for release, so they just made it for both consoles.

Skyward Sword got delayed from a planned late last year release, then a few months later Cafe was leaked. I smell a similar scenario.

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

I'd sorta rather have Skyward Sword go the TP route, having it on two consoles.

Malkeor

Malkeor said:

@34:
It would be cool, but then again I think it would be the first time a Nintendo console didn't have its own native Zelda game D:
Noooo traditioooonnnn

Molotov

Molotov said:

Well That Doesn't Mean Anything; A Trailer Now Could Mean A Finished Game In 2014

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I guess some people stated this, but if you're paying attention to rumors at all it's almost definitely one of two things:
Skyward Sword and bad translation
or
New Zelda Four Swords to show off the awesomeness of screens on controllers

I'd bet real money on the latter.

My only question is what approach will be taken? Completely 2D like the originals, or third person, or back and forth depending on what screen you're on (or pseudo 3D). I'd probably be just as happy with any of those options, myself.

pixelman

pixelman said:

"the game will be part of the Zelda 25th anniversary celebrations"

That's what I thought. Probably just a compilation or remake.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

New Play Control Wind Waker, maybe? Please tell me that I'm not the only one who loved that game.

tweet75

tweet75 said:

a zelda compilation this year for 25th anniversary and skyward sword will be pushed back and released on both the cafe and wii in 2012

Molotov

Molotov said:

@ emirblade: There Will Be A New IP. For The Nintendo Stream :) Keep Your Eyes Peeled Folks

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@7: Part 3 would most likely be Link to the Past, considering Miyamoto said he'd love to do that one.

But yeah, my first thought was that it just meant Skyward Sword was going to be pushed back to Cafe. But it could very well be a new Zelda comp, considering they just did that for Mario. But if it is a compilation, they better learn from their mistakes with Mario's collection, because I don't just want to have that Gamecube compilation again. It better be something REALLY worth it.

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

They haven't even announced the release date for Skyward sword yet... New announcement? I think not.
More likely for 3DS, Zelda is getting a kick-start from OoT3D which could spur another Zelda coming soon.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

It can't be for Café because that misses the 25th Anniversary of Zelda.

Could be a Four Swords game... Well, at least I'm hoping.

Gotta wonder if they forgot about Four Swords DS :(
Heard the project changed to Phantom Hourglass.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Hope they're not just porting SS to the Cafe. A new Zelda on 3DS would be cool, I suppose. I wouldn't be too bummed if this wasn't true. We're getting tons of Zelda.

NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds said:

If it took 5 years to develop Skyward Sword, I'd say there's essentially no chance a Zelda will come out this year for Project Cafe.
There could be one on the 3DS though.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"According to P-Nintendo, the game will be part of the Zelda 25th anniversary celebrations, pointing to a release sometime this year"

If this is true, then it probably will be used to cover up a Skyward sword delay. Maybe Skyward sword will encounter a "twilight princess" situation. Or there will only be a Stream version of Skyward sword, and the wii version will be canned.

This new Zelda could be the rumored "legend of paper Zelda" I heard about on youtube. Maybe it is a celebration of all things Zelda, like Sonic generations. However, it was rumored as a project cafe game. Maybe it's just a wii game after all.

Anyhow, it could be more exciting for me then Skyward sword!

"TP was originally meant for the Gamecube (and was actually meant to be a Wind Waker sequel). Miyamoto was unhappy with what the game was becoming (and the Regginator complained that the cartoony style hurt North American sales) so they decided to completely remake the game. By that point, the Wii was gaining steam in house and was getting ready for release, so they just made it for both consoles"

That's not true! Twilight princess was "realistic" looking from the start, since Americans didn't like the celshaded graphics. However, the game took a lot of time. The wii was already aproaching. And Nintendo would not have something really strong ready by the time the wii would arrive. So they decided to delay the game untill the wii arrived, and released the game on both consoles! They didn't remake the game, they just did throw in wii-controls for the wii version!

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

I'm hoping for another collectors edition. :3

with:
Zelda Links awakening
Zelda A link to the past
Zelda Oracle series
Zelda four swords
Zelda wind waker
and Minish cap.

or it could end up being the Zelda game & watch remake for Club nintendo.... can't wait to hear what it is, if it is true.

Infernapeking

Infernapeking said:

Yet another Zelda Game since the two are close to be release and this one gonna have to on Wii 2. Can't wait to see how it look but first we must see the following for Wii 2 Super Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Metroid and Pokemon 3D Battling Game I guess hope it won't be the same as PBR. It would be better to be like all the 3D ones. This new Zelda game is already one my want list for Wii 2 LOL have to clue what its about oh well we will find out in 4 DAYS :D

moosa

moosa said:

Nintendo's not stupid enough to announce another Zelda game with two about to land on 3DS and Skyward Sword still on the way. Besides, it takes years to make a (new) Zelda game, so clearly they don't have anything real to show us for what's coming next.

Henmii

Henmii said:

So far there is only one Zelda coming to the 3DS, and that one is a updated port of a old game (Oot). And it is not even made by Nintendo itself (Grezzo is making it).

But it just hit me: Maybe the third game is just Alttp in 3D, for 3DS VC. Miyamoto said himself that he would love Alttp in 3D.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

25th Anniversary Zelda is the easiest to gather, but with OoT3D already, and there being a Zelda Collection a few years back, I still really wonder "what" would be on this disc. Otherwise, I really don't think it would be a "new" Zelda game in the series as now is the time to build the hype for SS. We'll see soon enough I suppose.

SpicyDuck

SpicyDuck said:

They need to come out with a huge collection of all the zelda console games, it could include: LoZ, LoZ2, LoZ link to the past, ocarina of time, majora's mask, wind waker, and twilight princess, they could up the price to about $60, if they wanna be really awesome, add (optional) wii controls for the 3D games, that may up the price more but.. I'd pay for it :D

LINK21

LINK21 said:

The next zelda game is majoras mask on WiiU.The graphics are improved very well.I will post a link for the trailer soon!!!