La-Mulana Hits Japan On 21st June

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Western release dates to be revealed soon!

It's been a while since we had any news related to Nicalis and Nigoro's La-Mulana, but the silence is broken today with the first release date for the game, and it's sooner than you might think.

Japan will be getting the game on the 21st of June, which is in just a few weeks. The developers also state that the English version of the game is done and approved by Nintendo, so all they really have to do now is wait for Nintendo to tell them the release dates for Europe and North America, which they promise to reveal shortly after E3 next week.

To celebrate the fact the game is coming out soon, they've also released a new trailer and a batch of new screenshots, all of which you can see below:

Are you as excited for this game as we are? You might want to read our exclusive interview with Takumi Naramura while you wait.

[via la-mulana.com]

AmarMah

AmarMah said:

what was everyone saying about wiiware? and wii titles, its funny how we are closer to e3 and ninty titles are just poping up, right!

Link79

Link79 said:

Bout damn time. What seems to be the problem with Nicalis and their Wiiware games. Cave Story took what felt like forever to be released. There's been no word at all on Nightsky or whatever it's called.
Is it really so hard for these guys to make games for Wiiware?
Let's hope this isn't full of glitches like Cave story was before the update.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@Link79: Nicalis didn't really have much to do with this one, they're the publishers, but Nigoro was almost entirely responsible for the development.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Drake: it doesn't really matter who did what — Nicalis' name is still on it, and so the long-wait curse is still present :3

Rathe

Rathe said:

@Link79: I'd rather wait a while for a great game than to have a good title turned into garbage by being rushed. Hopefully they learned something from their first go-around with Cave Story and will have La Mulana polished up nicely.

Link79

Link79 said:

Well I certainly hope they inspected this game better before it got the final approval for release. It amazes me how much random garbage gets approved yet a great looking title like this sits dormant for so long.
Also on the issue of Nightsky am I to assume a Wiiware release isn't happening then? I heard something about it being on PC but no news on Wiiware.

TheGameSquid

TheGameSquid said:

Judging by how good the original free PC version was, this should (still) be one of the better games released this year. That is, IF we're going to see an international release this year...

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

I saw this earlier, figured here would be on top of reporting things heh. Glad to see it's coming out in the West, Castlevania meets Rick Dangerous looks to be a great combo!

Omega

Omega said:

I've played the free PC version and I wouldn't play this game again even if I was given $100 to do so. I really don't see the fascination in it.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

@Omega: It's pretty brutal starting out, but honestly, once you get past the first one or two areas you'll be completely hooked, it's my personal favourite indie game ever. Since it doesn't give any help in regards to gameplay whatsoever (The WiiWare version will though) this might help as well.

Omega

Omega said:

@Drake: I've played the game 99.9% and I think it's unnecessary/confusing/just flat out weird. But I'm glad that you enjoyed it. And it proves that not everyone has the same opinion on games.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Not really excited about this game. Then again, I wasn't excited about Cave Story as well and that turned out to be pretty good.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I've been pining hard for this game... this is one of the WiiWare games I've been anticipating next besides RCR (IF that's even still coming out on WiiWare or cancelled).

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Oh, let me clarify the RCR: I actually meant River City Ransom and Retro City Rampage, the latter is the one that IDK if it's a scratch or still a go.

smileisles

smileisles said:

Yessss!!!!! I was fearing the worst for this gem. I'm so glad that it's finally on its' way.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

Hooray! I knew the good folks at Nigoro and Nicalis would make this title get released eventually! Oh, I can't wait, it's finally almost here, and a release date coming soon too! I better go tack on another 1000 wii points and settle back into "Waiting Mode."

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

i am going to be super pissed if nintendo isnt satisfied again and decides to release another crappy wiiware game instead...

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Glad to finally hear news about this game's release. Love the PC freeware original and this update is shaping up to be absolutely fantastic. Just be ready for an unbelievably difficult game, folks. This one is noooooooo picnic; know what you're getting into. It's one of the hardest games I've ever played.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

I Wanna Be The Guy was obscenely difficult for its own sake. La-Mulana is genuinely, legitimately challenging by design of the game world and mechanics themselves. Big difference.