Frogger 3D Trailer Shows the Frog's Still Alive

Posted by Trevor Chan

30 years of being run over hasn't killed him

Cats are supposed to have nine lives, and if that's the case, then frogs probably have just as many. At least, Konami's flagship frog has done a pretty good job of avoiding the Grim Reaper of video game franchises.

Frogger 3D is set for an Autumn release on the 3DS, 30 years after Konami developed the original for the arcades. Times may have changed, but the premise of Frogger hasn't. With a new look and new level designs, Frogger 3D will introduce new friends that will help the brave amphibian run, dash and dodge his way to safety.

The game contains 60 stages spanning across 6 worlds, taking Frogger into various locales like the streets of his hometown, the Far East, New York, and even space. Certain levels will require Frogger to team up with friends in order to destroy obstacles, absorb damage and light up dark surroundings.

Up to four players can compete against each other and the Forever Mode provides StreetPass battles where the aim of the game is to stay alive.

Konami has previously published other Frogger games on other platforms: Frogger Returns on WiiWare and DSiWare.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Only three things can survive a nuclear holocaust:
Cockroaches
Twinkies
Frogger games

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Looks crazier than ever before, so I'll track it. I think this is going to be a retail game too, because that's what Nintendo Power shows with their monthly list of upcoming games.

Portista

Portista said:

WOOOHOOO! I LOVE FROGGER! Can't wait to see this one come out on the big 3DS!

JayceJa

JayceJa said:

from the looks of it im expecting a retail game, so i dont think ill go for it, i just dont see myself getting as much time out of it as id like for the cost of a retail game

but it looks nice enough to warrant a look at it again upon release, if it reviews good enough ill give it a shot

pixelman

pixelman said:

I'd be tempted if the framerate wasn't so lousy. Seriously, the 3DS is capable of more than this. >.<

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I never get sick of Frogger, and as long as new version stay relatively close to the original, I'm on board. The only thing I wish would happen would be that the original arcade would come out... somewhere... for crying out loud, I still love the original :(

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Frogger was a fun classic game, and I cannot believe it's still going.
Almost everytime I check out the WiiWare most popular list, Frogger is at the top, and has been at the top spot pretty much the whole time.
I think it was displaced for a little while by Heavy Fire, and then it was back at the top spot again.
I mean, I love classic games, but what in the heck, Frogger?
Ah well, as long as people enjoy it, game on my friends!
Reminds me of how popular Pac-Man was for Namco.

Ren

Ren said:

Hey that actually looks pretty fun, but should be a 3DS ware game. I'm not sure I'd pay 40-50 bucks for it.