After 1980s Valet Parking Comes 1950s Lawn Mower Kids

Posted by James Newton

We're not making this up

DSiWare's one and only valet parking game, Valet Parking 1989, certainly doesn't lack style: set in a world of big hair, shoulder pads and neon lights, it's like nothing on DSiWare. Where do you go from there? The world of grass-cutting in the 1950s, of course.

1950s Lawn Mower Kids — which we're not entirely sure isn't a joke — is the next downloadable offering from Zordix AB, and comes with a frankly superb reveal trailer. EA, Ubisoft, SEGA — this is how you reveal your new game.

Press Release: 21 of June 2011

Revealing the Nintendo DSiWare game 1950s Lawn Mower Kids™ with video.

Introducing 1950s Lawn Mower Kids™

From the makers of Valet Parking 1989™ comes 1950s Lawn Mower Kids™ for the Nintendo DSiWare service™. This is a frantic game all about mo(w)vment. Keep the TNT-kids mowing at all times and keep away from dogs, ducks, cats and angry Old Joe in suburban America of the 1950s. Control time and speed through Mr Mowman's mysterious contraptions. Avoid mowing down intricate flowerbeds, crashing into neatly laid tables or rabid angry animals.

Matti Larsson, CEO of Zordix:

“This little gem have been brewing with us for quite a while now and we have been able to tweak, test and perfect the gameplay so that we know that it's both fun and challenging. We are exceptionally satisfied with the music for the game which is a perfect fit for the Nintendo DSi™”

Features

Duck, but no need to cover.
25 challenging lawns!
UFOs but no area 51.
Cowards Get no medals.
Mr Mowman and his mysterious contraptions.
Well laid tables and neatly pampered flowerbeds.
Bonus Levels for the experts.
Absolutely no hula-hoops.
TNT-kids,Tom Nancy and Tim, all with individual abilities.
Dogs and Cats, but no fights.
Achieve the impossible.
Help a True Man!

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

What the... Surely this isn't... It can't be... They can't be serious about this... can they?

Great now that annoying song is stuck in my head...

Knux

Knux said:

Now I can finally tell those blasted kids to get the eff off of my lawn! :D

In all seriousness though, the trailer was hilariously bad. I am still going to keep my eye on this game though.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

I'm calling right now! The greatest game of all time. Forget Ocarina or anything else... THIS IS IT!

OMFG! I'm so hyped right now. That awesome song is playing in my head. Does anyone know where I can find the MP3?

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

did anybody actualy buy valet parking?
they must have, if zordicks are bringing this out.
what`s next. 1994 sheep sheering, or 1947 UFO sighting.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wow and people wonder why games like this are called shovelware. In all honesty why dont these companies work on a game that they know people are going to be interested in instead of wasting time and money on something like this.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

That's funny and sad at the same time. The press release couldn't stop me laughing and taking this very seriously. Just comes to show that anyone can make a video game, good or bad!

XD375

XD375 said:

I love Zordix. They have an amazing sense of humour. I'll definitely look into these games when I get a 3DS. They deserve it.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I could deal w/ VP1989 as a random "why not"? but Zordix hits us with a 2nd "why not"? I... wow-- I just don't know what I "could" say. We aquarium-ed, planetarium-ed, lightning (er, fire) struck twice with two fireplace sims, we valet park in 1989 of ALL years, and now, kids... in 1950... mow lawns. The "features" and the "video" alone earned a (WTF)^2. Just give me Stick Ball Vets 1870, and I'm just complete with the rest of my life... wow...

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

I don't care if the game sucks, I'm buying this, just to say to my friends "What's up, I'm playing 1950s Lawn Mower Kids. It's going to be the next CoD so get with the times."

geek-master

geek-master said:

how about 1970's pinball champion? with the song pinball wizard by the who playing in the background? also you could give it marble blast like graphics and 3D effects since the 3DS is now marketable for dsiware now. and throw in some good old multiplayer and online high scores that take advantage of twitter and facebook. price the game at $8.00 with 5 included tables and people can purchase more tables as they become available. sound like a good idea right?

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Consider my interest sparked! ;)

There's a grammatical error in the Press Release!

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

they should do a series of games based on time.
midnight at the oasis.
1 am, pub throw out time
9 till 5 a hard days work

Spoony

Spoony said:

I love it. I'm buying it. All the haters need to go and buy a copy of Valet Parking 1989 because it is the COOLEST game you can download for the DSiWare. (Well, except for Cave Story.) Zordix, I love you. And Iknow we just met and all but I hope you will accept this imaginary ring as a token of my strange love for you. Please make a game about making mixtapes in the 90's and you get points based on if the person you give it to likes it...please.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Aaaah! After the Lawnmower man you get the Lawnmower kids! People, hide!!

Seriously, what is this ! It's as if the company wants to say: Yes we are shovelware producers and we are proud of it. We see it as our noble task to faul the wiiware section even more with just another piece of crap. And we laugh about it!

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Oh, for God's sake... this isn't shovelware. It's knowingly tongue-in-cheek. And I'm totally keen on getting this and Valet Parking once the eShop cards are released. :D

kurtasbestos

kurtasbestos said:

Video games these days are stale and boring. It's only thanks to companies like Zordix, who come up with really crazy and unique ideas for games I never would have imagined possible, that I haven't yet given up on video games entirely.

...I'm not even joking when I say that. Stop complaining about a weird idea for a game that you haven't even seen yet and go outside or something so that those of us who do enjoy quirky games can get excited to find out more. Especially when your avatar is from a video game about a courtroom simulation. ZING!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i would've liked to have seen some gameplay footage since that press release makes it sound pretty amazing, haha~

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

So possibly a handheld version of Hover Bovver? And if you're too young to know what that is, go look up the game heh. I wonder if Jeff has thought about it for iPhone...

akacesfan

akacesfan said:

I seriously thought they were kidding at first.

That trailer is horrible though. I could make a better trailer with Windows Movie Maker! rolls eyes

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

@zordixAB
How about an exploration&adventure-based game where you sail around an ocean to different islands which you can explore?
The user would be given complete freedom of where to go, and the goal would be to become the greatest explorer/pirate/adventurer of all time (your class would be based on your actions).
You would find lost civilizations, new civilizations, busy towns, etc... , and some islands would be gigantic when compared to others. Randomly generated oceans would be ace, that way the islands would never be in the same places on different games.
The game could switch from a top-down ocean (while sailing) to a side scrolling platformer while on an island.
Lol, I only thought of all that because I was listening to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKhEzVJQdxM

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

No game footage = They know the game is a piece of crap but are trying to make it look good.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Coming out of lurkerdom briefly to post this. I think "Help a True Man" is a hint. This is 1950s Lawn Mower Kids. Harry Truman (True Man) was president until 1953. Maybe the grand finale is getting to mow the White House lawn (under close watch of Secret Service LOL).

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@TeeJay: give 'em the benefit of the doubt... at least wait until we actually get to see the gameplay before announcing it as crap, will you?

Pod

Pod said:

I'm not even kidding, I'm looking forward to this game.

Most of my favorite games are based on "uncool" concepts (remember Paper Boy?), and I'm already having fun just imagining how a game about mowing lawns would function. :)

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

This is yet more proof that Nintendo hasn't cracked digital download content on its systems, shameful!