Vitality Sensor Will Be Released When Everyone Can Enjoy It

Posted by James Newton

Or 99% of people anyway

Nintendo recently assured everyone that the Vitality Sensor is still in development, but if you've been wondering what's taking so long, let Nintendo president Satoru Iwata explain.

Speaking at a recent financial results briefing, Iwata clarified that the sensor is still on the way but won't reach the market until it's suitable for everyone.

This is a totally new type of entertainment, and there are large individual differences in the biological information of humans. For example, if it was acceptable that only 80% of the users thought the result was natural, then we could propose this to consumers right now. However, we are aiming for a level of quality in which 99% of consumers feel comfortable, and that is why this project is taking time to complete.

Having seen some of the offbeat Vitality Sensor game ideas that emerged last year, it's not hard to see why Nintendo wants to wait until the sensor is perfect before unleashing it on the world.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

neepy

neepy said:

oh ok so they're making it so every consumer is satisfied/ think the result is natural

right,right? D:

SMW

SMW said:

A redesign definitely is a good idea; the whole idea of clipping it onto my finger while playing turned me away. If they can come up with a better way of getting our pulse, I might be interested.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

I'd only get it if I saw a must have game be made around it, and I just don't see that happening. Unless Nintendo is going to make a survival horror game themselves.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I'm really interested in the games that are going to work with it. I love horror games and I can see some very interesting things with the sensor and a good horror game.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Besides obviously being used in a fitness game, I can vaguely think of a couple of game scenarios for this device, but I'm not the game developer, so the jury is still out on whether this will be a useful device. The software is definitely going to have to be the thing to motivate me as I have 0 interest in it at this moment.

SigourneyBeaver

SigourneyBeaver said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it will feature on the next console. I'm sure 100% of people would rather have something like that built into the grips of a new controller rather than clip it on to their finger (or wherever,) and plug it into the Wii remote.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Iwatasan you are definitely right about the individual differences of humans, make sure to make a MAGNUM!

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I still think they should redesign it so it can be used with games that require both hands. I propose a wristband or resizing to fit a toe.

motang

motang said:

It will make its debut when a new portable will be released the 3DS II!

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

@11. i like that idea. pulse sensors in the grips of a controller.
patent that idea quick.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Seems strange to me that Nintendo would be willing to release a peripheral this bizarre this late into the console's lifespan.

Noire

Noire said:

I will never enjoy this peripheral. Therefore Nintendo cannot release it.

Hurrah I've saved us all. D:

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Might be good in horror games I suppose... the quicker your heartbeat the more chance you run into a room with a horde of zombies. :3 Now that would be fun... other than that, I see no point in this thing.

And this late into the Wii's life? What's the point? Unless they're keeping with the Wii like what they're doing with the DS because the next console (like the 3DS) is quite expensive for consumers at this time.

deftheman

deftheman said:

From my point of view this is doomed to fail, 99% acurate? never,.. ever,..
Simply because people do not respond the same in any situation. And what about callus on my fingertop? To many obstacles ;)

JustanotherGamer

JustanotherGamer said:

The wii has 1 year left in it's lifespan. If this doesn't release soon don't bother Nintendo. The wii has some fitness games this could work with but with 1 year left in the Wii. It might not be worth it.