SEGA Announces More Virtual Console Titles for Wii

Posted by James Newton

Includes Virtual Console Arcade

Even after all these years, SEGA's still committed to supporting the Virtual Console, and its European arm has just announced two new titles coming to the service.

Alongside the already-revealed Monster World IV for Genesis/Mega Drive comes Virtual Console Arcade title Wonder Boy in Monster Land, set to become the sixth VCA game from SEGA. We already have Wonder Boy in Monster Land for Master System, but the arcade original is considerably better.

The company also confirmed Monster World IV would be fully localised for its first appearance outside of Japan, which is good news all around. No release dates for either game were given, only stating late 2011 or early 2012. It could be a long wait.

[via blogs.sega.com]

Related Games

Link79

Link79 said:

Does Localised mean they are going to translate Monster World IV?

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Maybe this'll start up Sega's regular VC releases again. I was always sad that we never got Castlevania Bloodlines or Contra Hard Corps, when it appeared Sega wasn't releasing VC titles anymore.

madgear

madgear said:

Awesome - now get to work on translating Shining Force 3 parts 2 and 3 for us please.

Link79

Link79 said:

Cool! Looking forward to MW IV! I've loved the series ever since discovering them on VC. Now Sega, how about giving us Bloodlines and Contra Hard Corps?

James

James said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't Contra and Castlevania be down to Konami, not Sega?

Link79

Link79 said:

Oh yeah Duh :) What am I saying? I mean Konami needs to give them to us.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

This is fantastic news! And it's fully localized, too! If anybody wants more fully localized games on the VC, BUY MONSTER WORLD IV when it comes out. Seriously, there's actually quite a bit of text in this game, so they really put some effort into this, which we NEVER see on the VC.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

I guess this kinda proves that Nintendo is not against translating import games, it's just the developers don't want to put the effort into it. This is very cool on Sega's part.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

It also says in the article that Super Hang-On is confirmed for Western release.

Omega

Omega said:

I find it somewhat disappointing that "DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure" has no translation. This is one of my favourite games even in its Japanese-only form.

Fortunately, they have done the work for Monster World 4. (Or copied it from an already existing ROM-patch?) In any case, MW4 is one of my most anticipated VC games.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

A Virtual Console game that is getting translated? SHOCK! HORROR!

Looking forward to this one. :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Dang, Nintendo will let Sega get away with just about anything! The first (and to date, ONLY) sale on VC games...a VC game with online multiplayer...and now a FULLY TRANSLATED import title? Well, I'ma have to give that download for sure. No idea if the game will be any good (my history with the Wonder Boy/other versions entity is a mixed bag), but it's worth it just to support translation.:D

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

Super Hang-On also makes use of tilting the Wii Remote if I'm not mistaken. Sega's trying all sorts of things on VC.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

The only Wonder Boy title I remember playing was one of the Wonder Boy in Monster Land titles back in the Arcade at Chuck E Cheese's...Or I'm pretty sure at least.

Anyways, I'm interested in both Wonder Boy In Monster Land for the Genesis and IV for the Arcade, should i just skip the first Monster land and and start with 4 or play them both? And they better not have RPG elements! :p

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

They're adventure games. Think of a Zelda 2 that doesn't suck hard. And you might as well get them both, a long with the rest of the series. It just gets better as you go, with Monster World IV being the best of them.

@RetroWarrior

Thanks for continuing the tradition of complaining when we already recieved good news.

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

it would be awesome if Konami would give us Bloodlines or Hard Corps...or get Hudson to translate Far East of Eden

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Gee I was kind of hoping for a bigger announcement, like Sega releasing all their early titles on VCA...

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

wasnt that excited for vc titles in months. two new wonder boy games!! cool. this is one of SEGAs best series and finally we get the last one MONSTER WORLD IV TRANSLATED!! and an ARCADE WONDER BOY title. sweet man!

brainofj

brainofj said:

How about some Sega titles NOT related to Monster World or Wonder Boy? Fatal Labrynith ... ESWAT ... Mystic Defender ...

James

James said:

@DrDaisy Straight from the source's mouth:

The biggest news of this bundle is that we are releasing a fully localized version of Wonder Boy in Monster World IV, which has never had a previous release in the West – it has previously appeared only in Japan.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Gotta say, this is great. Not only do we get a Monster Land title that doesn't suck, Monster World IV will also be great.

Maybe I need to get into retro gaming again.

proffrink1986

proffrink1986 said:

I'm adding my voice to the chorus of "instant buy" for Monster World IV. I don't even know if the game is any good or not (I'm assuming it is), but the fact that they're going through the effort of localizing it just warms the cockles of my retro heart! (Incidentally, I think this will be the first VC game to be localized; Sin & Punishment was supposedly based on a beta English translation).

@Omega I was also really disappointed that they didn't bother to translate DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure. It would have taken them, what, a day?

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

@James

I always thought any Genesis game on Virtual Console was published by Sega, even if they were made by a different developer. Either way I still really want those games on VC.

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

Can't wait for the localised Monster World IV release! I've played all the other Monster World (Wonder Boy) games and MW2 (WB3) and MW3 (WB5) are two of my favourites games ever.
Not really interested in the Wonder Boy in Monster Land arcade version though because I've already got the SMS version.