Rumour: Sonic Generations and Time Crisis Heading to 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Gamestop thinks so, anyway

The joy that surrounded Sega's announcement of Sonic Generations — a celebration of the hedgehog's near-20 year career — quickly dissipated for Nintendo fans when it emerged the game is not heading to Wii, 3DS or DS. Don't give up on the blue guy just yet though, as according to an alleged Gamestop release list he may be speeding to 3DS later this year.

GoNintendo posted the release list that puts Sonic Generations for 3DS, as well as another currently unannounced title in Namco's Time Crisis.

Sega has given no official word on Sonic's next Nintendo appearance but with his birthday fast approaching we'll hopefully hear some news soon. In the meantime, here's the first trailer for Sonic Generations as it appears on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3:

[via gonintendo.com]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

"Wii, 3DS or Wii"? Hahaha I was dissapointed it wasn't arriving to Wii twice too :P

Oh & I care not for this Sonic Generations, I want more on Sonic 4: Episode 2! What's taking them so long? :'(

James

James said:

@WiiLovePeace I'd rather have it on Wii twice as well, and five times on 3DS, but apparently that "doesn't make good business sense". Pah!

NintendoLee

NintendoLee said:

I'd quite like to see it on the 3DS, they really picked up the ball with colours and it'd be interesting to see how the 3D effect would cope with the speed of sonic.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

What would possess them to not release this on a Nintendo console? They would reach out to a lot more customers. That's hurting themselves a little right there. Gamestop lists are weird with their alleged release dates, but maybe this might not be a mistake.

thebluelight1

thebluelight1 said:

@NintyFan well Sonic The Hedgehog (the 2006 game) was only on X360 and PS3 and it's probably a good thing less people got the chance to play that.

Link79

Link79 said:

I'd say this rumor is pretty likely. The latest Nintendo power Magazine has a little teaser for the next issue. On the last page it says get ready for next months issue with a surprise announcement for Sonic fans. I bet it's Generations for 3DS.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

This would be really cool on 3DS especially the new generation even though I perfer old sonic

jerryo

jerryo said:

meeeh... sonic is nice and all, but 3DS needs some games. time crisis on 3DS? could be good.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

This would be fantastic. Link79's comment just helps the cause more. This would be one heck of a 1st 3DS game for Sonic, so I hope this becomes fact instead of just rumor. :)

@jerryo: Uh, aren't they both games?

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

If this is true, I'm now really exited for both Sonic Generations and Time Crisis 3DS. I've always wanted a Time Crisis game on Wii, and a 3DS release would be the next best thing, although I wonder how a light gun rail-shooter like this would work on the 3DS. They'd probably have to use the slide pad for aiming, which, while not as good as if we just aimed with a Wiimote, is still good enough to make it worth getting a home version of a Time Crisis game.

thesignpainter

thesignpainter said:

didn't somebody talk about this on the forums? i'm pretty sure i saw something like this somewhere... how about that mass effect 3 3DS thing? have any of you heard about that?

Punny

Punny said:

I certainly hope Sonic Generations comes to the 3DS. It would be an awesome first step into the third dimension for the Blue Blur (both Modern and Classic).

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I don't think it's gonna happen. It's a misprint. Why would SEGA wait 'til the end of the year to release Sonic Generations on 3DS? There should be a separate sections for rumors.

James

James said:

@DrDaisy It's marked as a rumour, and Gamestop — like most retailers — uses placeholder dates until official release dates are announced. Just means it would be released this year, not necessarily on December 31st :)

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I love Time Crisis. I'm just more excited for Sonic Generations since I haven't played it,but I've played Time Crisis to death.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Sonic Generations heading to the 3DS! Yes, please! Yes, please! YES, PLEASE!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Imerion

Imerion said:

It's really strange if a Sonic game would not be released on Wii considering how well the other Sonic-games have sold there. Sonic Unleashed sold more than twice as well on Wii as on any other platform according to VGChartz. A 3DS and/or Wii version would really make sense.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I know it's marked as a rumor. I'm just saying it would be a good idea for there to be a separate news section on this website for rumors.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

This is the first I've seen of this game, and it better come to the 3DS. It looks like the best Sonic game of the decade! They even caved in to the fans with the old sonic model. It looks like a game that could make up for all the crap of the recent ones.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@43 What recent crap? Sonic bounced back very nicely last year. Although, since the decade technically starts this year, you would be correct in it being Sonic Game of the Decade so far.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

I never played the original games, why do i feel so happy when looking at that updated art? :D

I would totally buy this game for the 3DS.

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

I'd be more excited about some Time Crisis game showing up on Wii. Poking at a screen to shoot people just doesn't appeal to me.

iPruch

iPruch said:

These are good news for me since I have not PS3/X360 and probabily I will never have one of these. And this Sonic game looks so promising... Will it break "The Sonic Cycle" definitely?